Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Wayne learned a lesson from that 2013 game against the Roosters where the Knights received all those penalties, tried to score and ended up settling for 2 when it became clear that they were taking the piss.

It hurt them then, so you may as well just take the two on the first go and move on. Don't give the Roosters an ego boost and don't get caught up in the emotion.

Personally, I didn't like the first kick for penalty. But the second happened after everyone rushed in and I thought it was important we just cooled our heads a bit. Better to take that 4 point lead, then get potentially smashed and reward them.
I didn't have a problem with the first, as it gave us an edge on the scoreboard, but not the second one. We were clearly on top at that point, and essentially handed the chooks a get out of jail free card, and were punished for it soon after. We should've gone for the throat and tried to put 8 pts between us, not 4...

No issues on the third one, as points were going to be at a premium, and it brought us back on level terms.

I think that the chooks tactic of deliberate penalties is deplorable. So if we went some way to make them rethink that tactic I tink its a good move .i must admit I was against it on the night, but in hindsight it was a big of a FU to the Roosters.

The old saying about a bird in the hand being better than two in the bush applies here I think. There are just about no good reasons to try for a try when the game is 5 minutes old. The defence is not tired, in fact it's quite often at its most effective. I much prefer to take an easy two every time in the first twenty minutes . If you are confident in your team you can take a smaller reward and essentially start the game again only this time you are getting a head start ! Certainly later in a game or later in each half it is a better strategy to press the advantage.

Porthoz said:
We were clearly on top at that point

I thought Brisbane were looking disjointed at that time.

The passage all began when Reed was able to milk a penalty out of Cordner.

That put Brisbane inside the attacking zone but before they could really apply the pressure, Milford was very slow to push up on the right hand side and to really add insult to injury, lost the ball.

Of course Sydney turned it straight back but the aftermath of that concerned me. The game was really beginning to boil over and the last thing we needed was for our young players to get caught up in their game.

Brisbane then had another set where they tried to target Maloney back down the right but it just wasn't clicking. Mind you the thought process was probably to draw the defenders down there to protect James just to work a play down the left but the penalty basically killed whatever momentum the Broncos had built, there was a bit of niggle both sides and I think it's important a young side like Brisbane divorce themselves from that sort of contest.

I can see the other side of the argument as well, I think any Broncos fan natural reaction is to tap and go but I just think this is what the team was thinking in that situation and was a tactic they'd thought of prior to the game.

Meanwhile with the first, Brisbane had just scored a very soft opening try and it was really just their second shot against them. Sure, they worked a really dumb play down their left which got Parker bundled into touch (seriously, why did we have so many bodies down such a confined bit of space, against those numbers?) but the Broncos had barely thrown anything at the Chooks in that set so I think they could have really extended their lead, even if the two is generally a more common play in that situation.

Basically it just comes down to risk assessment for me. I think they ended up getting it right altogether but I hope it's a horses for courses approach, not just a general policy.

For mine the debate over whether they should take the two after a game is hindsight hero stuff.

It's all well and good to say we should have pushed for the try, but if we do that, don't score then lose the game by two it's all "idiots should have taken the two"

For mine the debate over whether they should take the two after a game is hindsight hero stuff.

It's all well and good to say we should have pushed for the try, but if we do that, don't score then lose the game by two it's all "idiots should have taken the two"

This. But I'll also play Hindsight Hero and simply say that we won, didn't we?

I think there a difference in taking the 2 as a predetermined strategy as opposed to taking it on the spur of the moment. A as strategy its sticking to the game plan and everyone is on board and unsurprised. If it's spur of the moment, players can think " skipper doesn't think we can crack this defence." I think that's why it's often a momentum killer. I don't know that it was a strategy, but that's how it looked.

I think there a difference in taking the 2 as a predetermined strategy as opposed to taking it on the spur of the moment. A as strategy its sticking to the game plan and everyone is on board and unsurprised. If it's spur of the moment, players can think " skipper doesn't think we can crack this defence." I think that's why it's often a momentum killer. I don't know that it was a strategy, but that's how it looked.

Great point. And it was a strategy. Pretty obvious actually.

What i also love is the fact Hunt and macca are kicking on tackle 3 and 4. Turn them around and put in a good chase. We Don't over do it with our forwards then, plus it makes us really unpredictable. Some times we kick early, push parker up for a second phase offload, sometimes we push Parker up to make them think he wants to offload ( Which causes less tacklers to commit to the ball runner and mark up their own man in case the ball comes out but also means Parker can make more meters since the tacklers and busy wrapping up the ball and not the legs).. or we run angles off thaidaysthaiday passing at the line to Glen or maguire to bash the line.

It really has been more exciting to watch.

Can't wait til Milford hits it. Hoping each week it will be this game. Just you wait till he does :) ones it happens, there's no going back. **** all this he should be fullback talk.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • IceWorks
  • Stix
  • Painin the Haas
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Santa
  • broncotville
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • bazza
  • Manofoneway
  • kiwibronco
  • Financeguy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.