PRE-GAME [Round 8, 2024] Broncos vs Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media said he was close to playing.

if he comes back this week, that's 2 weeks earlier than expected. given that he's a rookie and has back fractures, I'd definitely not rush him back.
Oates returned back to form last week as well.

Could see Hunt drop back to the bench to see how he goes as a 17 whilst Oates keeps playing on the wing... if it doesn't work with Hunt, then at least we know Oates will be doing the job moving forward.

We've won the last two. Granted, not the best opposition, but winning's winning.

Why not keep these depth players hungry - name the same team as last week and tell them their positions are theirs to lose. I definitely wouldn't be against Reynolds having an extra week off, but Haas as well TBH.

Maybe not Hunt though - he's bombed enough to warrant sending him back to Q Cup to work on weaknesses.

If Willison is left out I don't necessarily see it as a dropping... even though that's how the media would sell it... Haas is returning and Willison was performing his role as the 'next man up'... that's the mentality they've got within this team.

If Baker was to be left out I would see that as a dropping, because he was selected over Willison in the first few rounds.

Willison is obviously in far better form than Baker, but Kevvie no longer seems like the kind of coach that chops and changes his team.

Last time he did that was in 2022 when he brought Mariner in for seemingly no real reason and we plummeted out of the 8... not saying that was the catalyst (because Patty not being there was probably more critical), but I think Kevvie has learned from that.

The last players I can really recall being 'dropped' by Kevvie were probably Oates and Paix last year... Jenson comes in and out, but Kevvie rotates his middles throughout the year.

I think Kevvie typically likes to show faith to the players that have the jersey and it's up to them to keep it... if they start to fall behind then you've got the next men up ready and keen to take that jersey away from them.

When Willison gets into the full strength team the plan will be that he never leaves it... but if he gets selected and Baker gets dropped after not really doing anything wrong in the last game.. then you're kind of dropping the guy that you gave the jersey to even though he did the role that you selected him for.

What happens if Willison has a few down games?? Where does Kevvie go from there... suddenly he's got to bring Baker back in and drop the young stud that he brought up... too much chopping and changing can be bad for the playing group... look at AOB who can't settle on a halves pairing.

I'm just gonna trust in Kevvie at this point. He sees these guys train, he knows their mentality and he knows how he wants the team to play and where he wants them to be when finals come around.

I think he's holding Willison back a little so that he's as ready as possible near the end of the year and in a position where he can be as successful as he can be, because he brings so much impact from the bench and there's not going to be many teams that can handle a fully fit and in form Haas, Jensen, Carrigan, Kobe and Willison.

Start of the year I was all for Willison being held back for the end of the season, but he's been so good and looks so primed I've changed my mind. He's gonna be one of the absolute elite props in the game.

Start of the year I was all for Willison being held back for the end of the season, but he's been so good and looks so primed I've changed my mind. He's gonna be one of the absolute elite props in the game.

I think you could rotate him and Te Kura tbh. Knowing when to pull them out of the firing line as a young player is just as important as knowing when to keep them in the side.

At the end of the day, we arent losing this game, its going to be a walkover so i'd hold back some of our injured boys for another week.

Oates returned back to form last week as well.

Could see Hunt drop back to the bench to see how he goes as a 17 whilst Oates keeps playing on the wing... if it doesn't work with Hunt, then at least we know Oates will be doing the job moving forward.

Oates didn`t have to compete for those bombs .

And are you forgetting the 1st bomb he watched bounce ?
And did fck all in attack . Arthars and Mariner can make the same metres Oates did .

A bit of redemption , yes . Back to form , meh .

Oates didn`t have to compete for those bombs .

And are you forgetting the 1st bomb he watched bounce ?
And did fck all in attack . Arthars and Mariner can make the same metres Oates did .

A bit of redemption , yes . Back to form , meh .
When I say form it's more that he did enough that Kevvie can keep Mariner in the rehab group for another week if he wants to and see how things play out elsewhere i.e. Hunt dropping back to the bench.

If Oates ended up having another absolute shocker last week then I could see him wanting to rush Mariner back into the team... but maybe Mariner is sweet and he'll come straight back into the team.

Dunno... see what Kevvie comes up with at 4pm tomorrow

When I say form it's more that he did enough that Kevvie can keep Mariner in the rehab group for another week if he wants to and see how things play out elsewhere i.e. Hunt dropping back to the bench.

If Oates ended up having another absolute shocker last week then I could see him wanting to rush Mariner back into the team... but maybe Mariner is sweet and he'll come straight back into the team.

Dunno... see what Kevvie comes up with at 4pm tomorrow

Yep I hear ya .
I was happy to see Oates catch some clean . He did attack the ball and looked confident . I wonder how many he caught during the week to tune up ?

Mariner was running around at training middle of last week .
We`ll see tomorrow afternoon if Kevvie is a genius or not . LOL .

^^ Please could a staff member move the above post to wherever fits best for me?

Too many tabs opened, and posted in the wrong place. Thought I was in a different thread, sorry guys.

I think the plan was to ease him into the season with a game or two before origin, and then depending on how he went, unleash him on the remainder of the season. A few injuries meant he’s playing a bit early and I reckon Kevvie will park him now until origin. I’ve got no idea, he’ll likely be named tomorrow, but I just wasn’t expecting to see him until origin, and with Haas back Kevvie can take a bit of time with him and get him breathing fire for the business end.
I'd think it would be better to have him playing and giving Carrigan a bit less minutes over the next month prior to Origin. That said I trust what Kevvie is doing and will back whatever he is planning.

I can definitely see everyone's points one side or the other. Kev and crew have to navigate origin and have our young team ready to fire for the second half of the season. Tough calls (calls we don't like) are going to be made. Let's hope they get it right and we fire for the second half of season all the way to the GF.

Wouldn't be the worst thing to give Cobbo a break this week if he's a little sketchy. He'll play Origin so give him a rest now to help him through that. Mariner can come back in and Arthars can move inside, or Mariner can come straight into the centres.

If Staggs needs a rest though as well we'd be a bit light.

I think willison might be on the extended bench this week by the looks. Either him or Oates it seems.

One of the most interesting team list Tuesdays this one...

I would most certainly not underestimate the WT's. Api is close to the form hooker in the comp. He can hurt us no doubt if we let him.

I "think" each home game thye have had this year has been a sell-out? Thats amazing if true, good on them!

I expect another professional performance from the team. Now is the time to build consistency.

But...you know, with so many guys coming back into the run-on side....i've seen that become a bit rough at times during games...

Reckon with another packed home ground the first 40 minutes could well be quite tight...

I’m sorry but I do not support that call at all. He has been one of the upper echelon middles in the comp. This would be the worst call of Kev’s career by some margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• cento
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  • Tim K
  • Alec
  • FACTHUNT
  • Kev_Guz
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Skyblues87
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galco
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • lynx000
  • RolledOates
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.