PRE-GAME [Round 8, 2024] Broncos vs Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like this willingness to rest players with niggles instead of just pushing them through, especially given the depth we have. I mentioned earlier in the thread I thought it would be a good opportunity to rest Cobbo, and it makes sense to give Mam a rest at this stage too. Hopefully this pays off for us at the backend of the season.

So many people looking foolish for freaking out about Willison not being team ... Hmmm, looks like he is still there

Do we actually really need offloads for the sake of offloading when a quick PTB is arguably more beneficial, better suited to the gameplan, better suited to the modern rules, and a higher percentage play? Willison is doing his job perfectly, and I would rather see him take a couple more hit-ups than anything else, but honestly, we seem to aim to dominate around the second and third quarters through backline movements >40m out.

It's all good problems to have.
Not just for the sake .
Gotta be done strategically . No Adam Blair from the kick off stylee .

Offloads lead to tries .

As Mr Miagi would say ; no can defense .

So you don't form your own opinion? You just accept what the coach does, and he can't be wrong? This post has so many stupid things about it, it's impressive.

I usually defer to Kevvie when it comes to selections .
I might have some opinions about who should and shouldn`t be in the 17 .

But seeing as Kevvie has coached at Brisbane , Melbourne , Newcastle and Catalans as well as been Origin coach I reckon he might know a thing or two I don`t so I trust in him .

Yea. Arthurs is fast becoming one of my fav Broncos players.

The quiet achiever.

Corey Jensen was the quiet achiever belt holder for the past cpl of seasons . Jesse is definitely performing well .
I dunno how much longer Jesse can be a quiet achiever . He was outstanding in the GF . He must start getting accolades soon surely ?

Going back I was a bit baffled why the Broncos signed him on long term . Now I understand .

It's a good idea, I thought Cobbo would probably be out this week after that shoulder issue he had, Mam has been getting niggles the last few weeks too.

I probably would have gone Sailor for 6 instead of Madden but with Reynolds back it shouldn't matter too much.

Jock is further up the pecking order than Sailor .
And ,,,, is a better defender . That will always count in your favour in Kevvie Walters teams . His mantra is always defence 1st .

Don`t be surpirised if Jock lifts for this game . I think running the ball is a strength for him . 5/8 might suit him at this stage .

And ,,,, is a better defender . That will always count in your favour in Kevvie Walters teams . His mantra is always defence 1st .

Don`t be surpirised if Jock lifts for this game . I think running the ball is a strength for him . 5/8 might suit him at this stage .
Another test for Jock, then. I don't really see him in this role, but he outperformed everyone's expectations last week.

Corey Jensen was the quiet achiever belt holder for the past cpl of seasons . Jesse is definitely performing well .
I dunno how much longer Jesse can be a quiet achiever . He was outstanding in the GF . He must start getting accolades soon surely ?

Going back I was a bit baffled why the Broncos signed him on long term . Now I understand .
Jesse's always flown under the radar. I copped a barrage of shit at the time for pointing out he massively outpointed forum darling, Herbie Hogsworth in 2021:

Jesse's always flown under the radar. I copped a barrage of shit at the time for pointing out he massively outpointed forum darling, Herbie Hogsworth in 2021:

wouldn't want to be your husband, McElephant

Consequently, if Reece (or any other back) goes down, which is a high possibility, we have no cover. Maybe Madden could go into the centres, Billy to 6 and Jesse to fullback. Or something involving Mariner. It won't be great, so it better not be in the first half again.
I think Piakura or Riki would be the one to move to centre... who goes to second row... not sure, but it better not be Patty (although he could use a spell and he said himself they do less work out on the edge).

With no Ezra, this could be a game where Reynolds steps up... he's happy to be a link man when all the guns are there and firing, but when they're not he usually steps up and completely owns the game.

ADKq_NZEdAATxtxc_YS_3l2jslP_f8sq3dYjmIFTBKnbyWjWHlZx7aJ1YbAPmyPEBD9N0oA20S_Rv3ktHK-YX6BJjU4yW9OAYTV8ASb6xWVzE7ICN77atPanVC84IZyf1ztJf--2WzJNQYZYFhf6DHEPSBCgNSr7h4UoSYoS1AvO8NBFkqKZd77VLZDluEERTg5LTbFIBOQUuzOh2ivYqLqM0EPAt4oWwTkLpsPwhM3lToc77C2BnVi0dp1-ZEY0r03mXbx6PJA=s0-d-e1-ft

Carrigans ball playing has elevated him above Yeo and Murray now as the games leading lock.

When Mam gets the pill there is a three on one out wide, he can see that Canberra have already decided to jam in. However, he still goes short.

Because....Recce Walsh. I didn't fully comprehend the fact he beat FIVE defenders on this run. Almost untouched.

Its the combination of speed, acceleration, agility, timing and footwork.

He is a rare, rare type of player. He could literally be the new Billy Slater.
Looking at that play again... the third man in drops back and the outside is coming up... the defensive line is completely disjointed... I think it was Madden in the trials that hit Piakura on that very type of line.

Walsh is just phenomenal and beats the man jamming in, but a short ball to the second row is probably the percentage play there... If tigers plan to cheat in on Walsh, then I can see Piakura getting away and causing damage... teams have to respect Piakura, which can give Walsh more room... or leaves it in the hands of Madden to pick the right pass

I really like these write-ups!

Only one thing I will contradict is you putting Carrigan above Yeo. That is a very tough call, and I would love for it to be true, but Yeo is freaking amazing, and if Carrigan is better, it is a razor thin margin. I personally wouldn't say Carrigan is quite there, but the awesome thing is that Patty will be even better than peak Yeo.
Carrigan’s far better than Yeo at rep level. That’s the most reliable indicator for me that he’s the better player.

I have never seen Billy explode and weave through a defensive line like Walsh does. I've never seen any player do it as good as Walsh to be frank. Great write up
Matty Bowen, peak Preston Campbell, Benji Marshall. Those sort of names. But also smaller blokes who got ragdolled a bit. No one is tossing Walsh over the sideline by his collar.

I'll give you an indicator of how special Reece is on the world stage. Cross codes into Rugby and watch a few old David Campese highlights. He was famous for turning defences inside out. Reece makes him look like like a plodder.

I think Piakura or Riki would be the one to move to centre... who goes to second row... not sure, but it better not be Patty (although he could use a spell and he said himself they do less work out on the edge).

With no Ezra, this could be a game where Reynolds steps up... he's happy to be a link man when all the guns are there and firing, but when they're not he usually steps up and completely owns the game.
Yes, maybe Piakura, but we don't have anyone to cover him either. That's even more broken.

Carrigan’s far better than Yeo at rep level. That’s the most reliable indicator for me that he’s the better player.
And that has been shown this season, his been an absolute machine for us averging close to 200 metres a game in the absence of Haas and Piakura and had to pick up the slack for some of the other forwards who haven't stepped up.

Agreed, one concern I have with regards with Sailor is defensively, his fine at fullback or on the wing, but I wouldn't want him defending in the centres or in the halves, Madden is the better choice there and not ever team selection is just on the basis of flare. I know Wally learnt from his father to focus on his defence first, work on minimising the mistackles and completing sets you make because thats what really costs you the game if you don't. Look at the second half of the game against the Raiders we should have won that easy, but simple errors and poor defence let them win it. We may have won the game, but it was a disappointing way to finish it.

I think Kev has made the right call with resting Cobbo and Mam. Both have been playing well and are deserving of a rest to overcome niggles. Our Bench is the strongest we have had all year, having Sailor on the bench hasn't really added much but you could argue with Reynolds returning from injury it was probably the best time to have him there and is the only thing I could consider as an alternate to what we have.

It looks like with Payne/Piakura back we are going the power game. Jensen and Payne for a nice two punch to start and then bring on X, Baker and Hetherington for that something different. Xavier's power game, Bakers average joe work and Hetherington quick charges back in behind the markers and great defense. It amazes me that Hetherington continues to make the same line work for him, inside step behind the markers at pace, it's great work.

I just want Reynolds to play the role he was playing in his last two outings. Organize play and get the kicks right, no need for chancing the running game. He has enough threats around him to take the heat and keep the opposition guessing, he doesn't need to prove he is willing unless it opens up for him and he only has a 10-15 meter run to score a try.

Up the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Gaz
  • Galah
  • rnabokov
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.