PRE-GAME [Round 9, 2024] Broncos vs Roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riki and Patty have had a head clash at training that left Riki bleeding from a head cut. They're expected to be cleared to face the Roosters

Peter Badel*:

Jordan Riki and Patrick Carrigan had to be separated by team-mates at training today, after a fiery clash which left Riki bleeding profusely from a gaping head wound.

*not really

Happy to see the team list, but need to remember it doesn’t mean fully fit.

I still think it’ll be close and hopefully we can tweak the two negatives as I see them, taking each and every point scoring opportunity as they come…… and an 80 minute defensive effort. 70 mins is awesome, but as I think this will be close, we may need that perfect defensive effort.

Broncos by 4

I’d had a lot to drink before watching the roosters v dragons last Thursday. Were the roosters THAT good, or were the dragons horrendous? I thought I was watching tries being replayed before realising the score!

Nat Butcher was running through them time and again and he has to be one of the slowest players in league, that tells you a lot.

Seriously I don't have a problem with that bench. Willison or heatherington can move to an edge if needed and piakura can play in the centres as well. I mean it's not like we don't have options there. We made a grand final last year with three forwards kn the bench. I don't think we need change everything just because we lost games to the two premier teams in the competition.

Sorry I hate to say it but Oatsie is cooked, just not up to top grade any more..
Whether or not that's true, it's evidently what Kevvie thinks. Oates should be a shoo-in for the bench, but Kevvie must think he's not up to playing in the back row.

Our starting side is top notch (or near enough to it), but our bench is broken to the core. It stems from the hooker rotation, which has thrown everything else off kilter. If our 14 was a genuine utility who could play wider in the backs, stacking the rest of the bench with forwards wouldn't be an issue. Mozer won't fix that, either.

It is so fucking good to see us full strength. This team has strike power all over. We really only need our forwards to dominate and the rest is history.. couple that with our strong goal line defence.

I just hope we get through injury free. A man can dream.

Seriously I don't have a problem with that bench. Willison or heatherington can move to an edge if needed and piakura can play in the centres as well. I mean it's not like we don't have options there. We made a grand final last year with three forwards kn the bench. I don't think we need change everything just because we lost games to the two premier teams in the competition.
Only difference is last year we had Capewell, who was pretty handy at filling in at centre.
I'd hate for a outside back to go down and we have Piakura up against Manu.
One bench forward is going to have a 10-20 min stint which was Baker last week and that was with Payne probably on smaller minutes.
Those premier teams took advantage of us playing a player out of position or we lost sync in attack by loosing Patty to the backrow.
Oates off the bench provides alot more than Baker does in that short stint he will probably play.

I’d had a lot to drink before watching the roosters v dragons last Thursday. Were the roosters THAT good, or were the dragons horrendous? I thought I was watching tries being replayed before realising the score!
I didn't see the game, but they lost Suli in the first hitup... never going to be easy to recover after losing a centre in the first seconds of the game.

That would've left a hole on the left, which is where Walker and Manu play... the rest looks to be history.

I think the NRL could get close to allowing that 18th man to be utilised more often in games, because losing an outside back in the opening half is just about game over at the moment.

Ugh Ashley Klein as the referee 😒
Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrkkkkkk
Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

I didn't see the game, but they lost Suli in the first hitup... never going to be easy to recover after losing a centre in the first seconds of the game.

That would've left a hole on the left, which is where Walker and Manu playrs... the rest looks to be history.

I think the NRL could get close to allowing that 18th man to be utilised more often in games, because losing an outside back in the opening half is just about game over at the moment.
Even making a 5 man bench but only being aloud to use 4 of those players would work.
If player safety and keeping contests good is the path they want it could happen.
But on the other side of the coin clubs should be recruiting players in their rosters that can cover multiple positions, having a all round utility to fill a role on the bench.

Even making a 5 man bench but only being aloud to use 4 of those players would work.
If player safety and keeping contests good is the path they want it could happen.
But on the other side of the coin clubs should be recruiting players in their rosters that can cover multiple positions, having a all round utility to fill a role on the bench.
I wouldn't be upset if they made it that 18th man can come in whenever they want, but whoever he's subbed for can't come back.

There would be situations where clubs try to game the situation ... like starting a hooker for the first 20mins and then subbing them out for whoever the 18th man is, but whatever ... if they want to do that and then their starting hooker goes down... they're fucked.

The downside I see to that is if a HIA from foul play takes a player out, then the impacted team is effectively back to being a man down... whereas the club that fouled the player can still access their 18th man whenever they want.

Another alternative is just if you lose a player to a Cat 1 HIA then your 18th man is activated... I believe Cat 1's can only be called by the independent doctor... if that is the case then it would prevent trainers rorting the system and claiming Cat 1's... although a Cat 1 HIA rules you out for 11 days so would be a risk just claiming them all the time just to get a sub

Whether or not that's true, it's evidently what Kevvie thinks. Oates should be a shoo-in for the bench, but Kevvie must think he's not up to playing in the back row.

Our starting side is top notch (or near enough to it), but our bench is broken to the core. It stems from the hooker rotation, which has thrown everything else off kilter. If our 14 was a genuine utility who could play wider in the backs, stacking the rest of the bench with forwards wouldn't be an issue. Mozer won't fix that, either.
You have to have a genuine utility to be able fill that role. We don't, a lot of the other clubs don't. Quite a few clubs carry two hookers.

And to confirm my earlier post, I had a quick look over the named sides for the first five games, the bench consists of either all forwards (primarily middles with an occasional second rower thrown in) or three forwards or a hooker. About the only that might have a weak claim to a utility is the Cowboys with Sam McIntyre who can cover middle, second row and centre. I think he is primarily a forward though.

I wouldn't be upset if they made it that 18th man can come in whenever they want, but whoever he's subbed for can't come back.

There would be situations where clubs try to game the situation ... like starting a hooker for the first 20mins and then subbing them out for whoever the 18th man is, but whatever ... if they want to do that and then their starting hooker goes down... they're fucked.

The downside I see to that is if a HIA from foul play takes a player out, then the impacted team is effectively back to being a man down... whereas the club that fouled the player can still access their 18th man whenever they want.

Another alternative is just if you lose a player to a Cat 1 HIA then your 18th man is activated... I believe Cat 1's can only be called by the independent doctor... if that is the case then it would prevent trainers rorting the system and claiming Cat 1's... although a Cat 1 HIA rules you out for 11 days so would be a risk just claiming them all the time just to get a sub
A few different scenarios that could work but teams would exploit it. Like you could play a front rower for 40 then sub him out for a fresh 18th player and have a 4 manbench with a couple fresh players.

Or the 18th man can be interchanged into the 17 but you use up a interchange to bring him into the 17, which in the case of a HIA the player leaves the field under a free interchange and once he's ruled out by independent doctor you can then use a interchange to bring In the 18th man, if it's foul play the 18th comes in for free.
2 changes without HIA
1 change under HIA
No Change under foul play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.