11 A. Crichton 2 8 1 2 3 4 20 2 0 18 2 1 10m 144m 0 0
12 N. Butcher 0 0 0 0 1 1 30 2 0 9 1 0 0m 72m 0 2
13 C. Watson 1 4 1 1 2 0 45 0 0 14 2 1 30m 92m 0 0
14 S. Wong 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 3 0 6 0 0 0m 37m 2 0
16 E. Butcher 0 0 0 0 1 1 23 1 0 7 0 0 0m 54m 0 0
17 T. May 2 8 0 2 4 0 26 0 0 16 0 0 0m 119m 0 1
19 S. Tupouniua 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 5 0 0 0m 47m 0 0
21 S. Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

It’s been coming hasn’t it. We’ve talked about it over the last few weeks, and here it is.

as bad as tonight was, and let’s be honest, it was proper gash, it’s one game. 2 points.

It was about this time last year I think when we lost at home to the Bunnies and we were just outplayed. We kicked on from there. This will be a similar test from here.

thought we did well to get it back to 18-18 but that was as good as it got. Walsh…… man….. you have the world at your feet……. but you need to stop listening to the hype. You’re hurting us more than you’re helping us at the minute, man up, take your hits, hold the ball, and be a team player. If you can add those things, then you can believe all the hype you want to listen to.

We’ll bounce back from this but being realistic I can’t see us being a top 4 finish this year.

You did watch the game right? You are aware of the injuries/HIA’s? I’m just asking because it seems like you didn’t.
That doesn't excuse the first half and how poorly they played when they should have stamped their mark on the contest. Even before Arthars broke his jaw, the Roosters had absorbed everything the Broncos had thrown at them and were beginning to run over the top of them. Like I said, it could have been worse if Suaalii had been switched on.

That doesn't excuse the first half and how poorly they played when they should have stamped their mark on the contest. Even before Arthars broke his jaw, the Roosters had absorbed everything the Broncos had thrown at them and were beginning to run over the top of them. Like I said, it could have been worse if Suaalii had been switched on.

Well Walsh was responsible for almost all their points, so perhaps a bit unfair on the team as a whole.

Well Walsh was responsible for almost all their points, so perhaps a bit unfair on the team as a whole.
Walsh was poor but he was far from alone tonight.

The forwards were getting bent over backwards constantly and could not lock up the ball to save themselves. They lost so many tackles that the Roosters were able to constantly march up-field no problems.

I'm not sure what was worse, Mariner failing to wrap his arm and getting himself binned, or the decision to bat onto a Roosters player when he was in space and could have scored a critical try. I presume he's still struggling with injury and may have come back too early because if there's a player who needs a spell, it's him.

I think the most disappointing thing about tonight was our first contact, we were falling off a lot of tackles. The lack of composure & complete inability to build any sort of pressure was nothing new, the only thing different was we were playing a decent team that punished us for it. I think kevvie has given them a lot of free rein in their attack and it might be time to start pulling it back and making them earn it again. I think we play more direct & composed with smoothy at 9 too.

Walsh was poor but he was far from alone tonight.

The forwards were getting bent over backwards constantly and could not lock up the ball to save themselves. They lost so many tackles that the Roosters were able to constantly march up-field no problems.

I'm not sure what was worse, Mariner failing to wrap his arm and getting himself binned, or the decision to bat onto a Roosters player when he was in space and could have scored a critical try. I presume he's still struggling with injury and may have come back too early because if there's a player who needs a spell, it's him.

Walsh and Mariner were awful for the most part but that isn’t the whole team. And despite that, we were coming for them until the injuries ended the game. I just don’t think it is as doom and gloom as you are making out. The Roosters played really well, we weren’t great and were going with them until every single thing that could go wrong did and Mariner decided to stamp his shocker with a dumb play to get binned on. A play I might add that we had against us but didn’t get a sinbin for against Penrith.

We’ve got time to turn this around.

Walsh and Mariner were awful for the most part but that isn’t the whole team. And despite that, we were coming for them until the injuries ended the game. I just don’t think it is as doom and gloom as you are making out. The Roosters played really well, we weren’t great and were going with them until every single thing that could go wrong did and Mariner decided to stamp his shocker with a dumb play to get binned on. A play I might add that we had against us but didn’t get a sinbin for against Penrith.

It's definitely not panic stations yet.

There's lots this team can do to improve, without ARey. Defense has been shit this year frankly. Ball control in our own half is sub-standard. And our options taken on their try line were meek efforts.

We're going from playing 1-out footy in an attacking position as a settler, then someone has a blood-rush and has to try and score on tackle 2 with a poorly executed chip and chase.

There's no patience, no maturity, no earning it. I don't think I saw one decent set play tonight that wasn't Reece on a sweep. He's got wheels but you need more tricks than that to be the best.

I

I think Mariner is a bit like Cobbo where is a centre but playing on the wing.
I think Cobbo understands the outside back positions and fullback pretty well, but Mariner is new to playing wing having been mostly a centre his career.

Mariner has tonnes of speed though and will make alot more sense there with time.

But they weren't alone and I wrote as much in my post. The entire team was outplayed and now they have to go through the rest of the season without their chief organiser. Anyway you want to dice it, tonight wasn't acceptable and fans have a right to be upset.

This was a statement game and the end result was 40-18 loss against an under-strength Roosters outfit at home.

But they weren't alone and I wrote as much in my post. The entire team was outplayed and now they have to go through the rest of the season without their chief organiser. Anyway you want to dice it, tonight wasn't acceptable and fans have a right to be upset.

This was a statement game and the end result was 40-18 loss against an under-strength Roosters outfit at home.
Our first half defeated us, but with those outs we probably would have lost to alot of teams to be fair, it got really bad.

Good lesson for Kevvie on giving our players too much freedom on attacking plays though, we have been doing it all season and it has worked on the weaker teams but it is honestly reckless footy against any half decent team.

We don't need to be soo risky with plays when the core part of our team can dominate teams just on brute strength in the middle to create chances through simple plays, reign in Walsh a bit and we can still put cricket scores on teams.

Our first half defeated us, but with those outs we probably would have lost to alot of teams to be fair, it got really bad.

Good lesson for Kevvie on giving our players too much freedom on attacking plays though, we have been doing it all season and it has worked on the weaker teams but it is honestly reckless footy against any half decent team.
The injuries were a by product of the result. Both Arthars and Reynolds went in looking to turn the tide and paid the price. If they showed composure and had any sense of rhythm they would have been able to coast along.

It was just reckless play, trying to force something to happen instead of relying on the gameplan and playing the percentages.

The injuries were a by product of the result. Both Arthars and Reynolds went in looking to turn the tide and paid the price. If they showed composure and had any sense of rhythm they would have been able to coast along.

It was just reckless play, trying to force something to happen instead of relying on the gameplan and playing the percentages.
I can fully agree on Arthars injury it wouldn't have happened if he didn't go into it to change the game, but Reynolds one was a bit more basic.

I can fully agree on Arthars injury it wouldn't have happened if he didn't go into it to change the game, but Reynolds one was a bit more basic.
Comes flying out of the line because Mariner left his post and gave Pauga a massive space to work with. I don't think he would have been as desperate if the Broncos were in a more comfortable position.

Do you think having a utility back on the bench similar to Kurt Gidley (I know they are rare at the best of times) instead of a dedicated dummy half would give Kevie they option to pull anybody not following the gameplan off the field?

I ask, because there's a famous story by Thierry Henry who was pulled out of a soccer game for refusing to listen to Pep Guardiola and not following the gameplan. Henry from memory, got the message pretty quickly after that.

Do you think having a utility back on the bench similar to Kurt Gidley (I know they are rare at the best of times) instead of a dedicated dummy half would give Kevie they option to pull anybody not following the gameplan off the field?

I ask, because there's a famous story by Thierry Henry who was pulled out of a soccer game for refusing to listen to Pep Guardiola and not following the gameplan. Henry from memory, got the message pretty quickly after that.
I don't think it's realistic tbh, We did have a few games with Sailor there as a 17 but he did get exposed defensively at 6 even if it wasn't all his fault in those situations.

I think we have to have Oates atleast on the bench going forward as that Bench forward/outside back option, that's probably the best we can do.

We have very big edge forwards which hurts us when they have to cover centre as they are just not suitable for it.

Must be the year for bicep injuries. Been a few so far this season

Good luck getting Walsh off the field - I've never seen a more stubborn player.

You'd probably be better off picking a trainer strong and fast enough to drag Walshy off the field.

Granted, I don't think Walsh was alone tonight. The entire team was erratic with both Haas and Patty forcing offloads, Billy and Ezra getting in on the chip and chase action, even Reynolds was calling plays that were never on. Did anyone see the attempt at trying to bring Staggs down the left-side only for Reynolds to pass it to no one? Even his decision to go out the back to Walsh when Sydney always had the numbers was just poor play.

They all appeared receptive to criticism at half-time until they got into the junk time and they were just trying things for the sake of it.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.