Round 9 - Warriors vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
New Zealand Warriors 30-20 Brisbane Broncos.

Last edited:
Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Just saw the score, any injuries?

Wallace aggravated his groin injury.

I'm glad we contained the warriors to a single try in the second half. Showed a lot of heart.

user_nat

user_nat

NRL Player
Aug 29, 2009
Far out we played some dumb football in the second half.
Happy that we didn't let the Warriors roll and make the scoreline more embarrassing though.

Might be easier to just blame Beale than come up with more reasons.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
What a great opportunity for Griffin to adapt. Sooner or later, we would come up against a top side reaching form. A lot of heart in the 2nd half, yes, as well as a very predictable attack. Can't wait for that to change

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah they needed Wallace while they were camped down Warriors end.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Happy we got that last try to make the score respectable.

Low percentage plays on the 5th killed us, I admire the risk to try them but it was not the time for it.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As someone else posted, we need much more than dummy half running, catch-pass, one out's and lottery kicks. We just don't offload enough either.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not too upset, Warriors played finals football and everything worked out for them. When they tired we were minus our main playmaker and we looked lost for leadership, particularly with Thaiday also off.

Think the main problem was our lack of go forward when we were in their half. Too much lateral movement, kept wanting to go around them before we had any momentum and it made it difficult for Norman & Hunt to come up with effective 5th tackle plays. Granted, there were a few sets where we did have that momentum and they made a bird of it but you expect that for players of their experience.

Anything to take out of it? Bit of a reality check, but overall despite being a little off I thought we showed some really good signs & for the most part I'm pleased with where we're at right now. Just hope we take something out of this game and build on it.

It's definitely easy to target Beale, the two tries he conceded essentially lead to a third and that's what changed the game. Need to focus more on that aspect because otherwise I think he's improved as a winger.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I just want them to lock up the ball carrier.

There are too many off loads in every game we play.

Ironbroncos

Ironbroncos

QCup Player
May 2, 2008
Lock up the ball and dominate every tackle. Warriors were always busy in their tackling making sure we were pushed back a metre or two.
Inexperience in 5th play options hurt us, hope Wallace isnt out nextweek.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
im not too disappointed. the warriors played really well, and defended exceptionally well. even though we were a bit flat there were a number of half breaks/opportunities we had that in previous games we'd gotten away and maybe scored from tackles wehre as tonight they managed to pull us down.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It was a good wake up call. Nothing went our way really, and the opportunities we got we didn't make the most of due to poor options. And despite all that, only went down by 10. Lots to like IMO.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It was a good wake up call. Nothing went our way really, and the opportunities we got we didn't make the most of due to poor options. And despite all that, only went down by 10. Lots to like IMO.

+ 1. It was 6 points difference if we had the same kicking % so. One try really.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
+ 1. It was 6 points difference if we had the same kicking % so. One try really.

And it was 2 tries from kicks to 1 to them. If you want to really split hairs, both teams got the ball across the line 3 times with legitimate play (I don't like tries from kicks if you haven't noticed :P )

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
We get off the tackled player way to quickly especially close to the line. I thought the refs were crap both ways but the balance went to the home side.

Norman didn't run nearly as much, I suspect because of the physical nature of the Warriors. Beale FFS, soft drop and a big turning point.

Agree with comments above, a lot to like and plenty to work on.

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Apart from the injury to Wallace I'm not too fussed about this result. I thought they would ambush us and so it proved to be. NZ always lift when we play them over there - I think it's the home game their fans look forward to the most.

As mentioned previously a couple of their tries were from kicks so our defence wasn't too bad. The thing that really hurt us was were our fifth tackle plays. We missed Wallace and our lack of composure showed.

Providing Wallace is back next week we should be right to go against Manly. That's gonna be a cracker.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
And it was 2 tries from kicks to 1 to them. If you want to really split hairs, both teams got the ball across the line 3 times with legitimate play (I don't like tries from kicks if you haven't noticed :P )

Well if Beale played a perfect game they would have had 3 less tries. I don't like it either a cheap way of scoring IMO. We really missed Yow Yeh tonight, and he's great in the air.

Active Now

• Bish
  • mitch222
  • BroncosAlways
  • winslow_wong
  • Culhwch
  • leon.bott
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.