NEWS Sailor seeks Broncos redemption as Latrell looms

BHQArticleImageLarge76

Brisbane fullback Tristan Sailor was filthy with his display against Cronulla and has his sights set on redemption up against in-form South Sydney No.1 Latrell Mitchell.

Sailor made three errors in Saturday's 22-12 NRL loss to the Sharks, with one dropped bomb leading directly to a try.

The 25-year-old has a tough gig where he fills in mostly when Reece Walsh is unavailable.

Sailor has played well for the Broncos but he was not happy with his unforced errors against the Sharks.

"I was very angry at myself because it was unforced and I usually pride myself on not doing that," he said.

"I couldn't put my finger on what it was, but all I can do now is spend the week working on that and getting back to my way of footy and being confident.

"I love taking opportunities and feel like this (Souths clash) is a good opportunity to do that against some great opposition."

Mitchell is on the cusp of a NSW recall after starring against Gold Coast in a 46-12 win. The Broncos are wary of what he might unleash at Accor Stadium on Friday night.

"I think he's very motivated to get that NSW jersey and with his form over the past couple of weeks, you see how Souths lift off the back of him," Sailor said.

"We expect him to be in red-hot form again so we're preparing as best we can for him.

"All we can do is stay in our systems and do all the right things individually and we should be able to stop them."

The eighth-placed Broncos have lost their last two games and have been hot and cold throughout the year. Coach Kevin Walters has let his displeasure be known.

"Kev was really disappointed we didn't nail our individual roles (against the Sharks) and that's what we need to get back to," Sailor said.

"When everyone is doing their role, the Broncos are a very dangerous team."

Sailor was playing his first game last week after returning three weeks ahead of schedule from ankle surgery.

His availability was perfect timing with Walsh missing two games with concussion, including the trip to the Rabbitohs.

The Broncos suffered an injury blow at Tuesday's training with winger Corey Oates leaving the field with a knee injury.

They will welcome back bench weapon Xavier Willison who missed last week's match after his partner gave birth.

Canberra Times

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Something I noticed on Saturday night - after he knocked-on that bat back from Oates, the camera focused in on his face.

In his eyes, he just didn't look like he wanted to be there, like he was almost resigned to making a mistake. Then he dropped that easy catch a bit later on, and his body language was just as poor, there was no confidence.

This is where the other lads need to get around someone when they make an error. I think Sailor got in his own head a bit on Saturday night.

I'm not sure he has the focus to be a regular first grader to be honest. I don't want to be harsh, as it was his first game back from injury, but it's something I've noticed in a few of his other appearances.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Hey Tristan spend less time on your hair and more time practising the basics.

Not only did your handling suck, but your few kicks were pretty shit too. Not for the first time either.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Have to laugh at the media, must be a slow news day.

"Seeks redemption", another way of saying he's just out looking to have a good game. What a stunner of a story that is, FMD.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Stop being a lippe & start focusing on improving your mistakes man.

I’m starting to get annoyed by these hairstyles/hair locks. Looks like some kind of potluck sessions happening anr each others hair.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
His hairstyle has so little to do with any of his rugby league. Don’t be pathetic and keep commenting on it. A month and rushed back in to play behind a well beaten forward pack. Sure he made a few errors but that’s footy and in particular this team at the moment

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
His hairstyle has so little to do with any of his rugby league. Don’t be pathetic and keep commenting on it. A month and rushed back in to play behind a well beaten forward pack. Sure he made a few errors but that’s footy and in particular this team at the moment
Sailor has mostly been rocks and diamonds the handful of times he's played for us. The hair is low hanging fruit sure, but I don't think we're being honest if we just chalk off his performance to coming back from injury - he's always been inconsistent for us. That's why he's a depth player - but we need our depth players to perform solidly when they come into the side. Being disappointed he isn't doing that is not unreasonable.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Sailor has mostly been rocks and diamonds the handful of times he's played for us. The hair is low hanging fruit sure, but I don't think we're being honest if we just chalk off his performance to coming back from injury - he's always been inconsistent for us. That's why he's a depth player - but we need our depth players to perform solidly when they come into the side. Being disappointed he isn't doing that is not unreasonable.
We should be disappointed absolutely. He is disappointed with his performance as well. When he has played he has mostly been good. Was fantastic against the Cowboys and in a few games last year also.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I don't have a @Big Pete esque memory for stuff like that and I know he has had one or two decent showings for us, but I feel like his last few games for us have been more bad than good. Maybe I'm judging him harshly but I would prefer Cobbo at FB where possible.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Maybe it was just jitters coming off a layoff but the Sharks game was easily his worst for us, I think his positional awareness in attack was lacking big too as he was AWOL on the edge plays or too forward to do a sweep play.

He can do much better than he did, and our forwards being dominated did put extra pressure on him too.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I don't have a @Big Pete esque memory for stuff like that and I know he has had one or two decent showings for us, but I feel like his last few games for us have been more bad than good. Maybe I'm judging him harshly but I would prefer Cobbo at FB where possible.
Yeah.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • marw
  • PeterBarne
  • Swordfish
  • kman
  • Johnny92
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Morkel
  • TimWhatley
  • Justwin
  • Rough and Ready
  • Wolfie
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.