NEWS No worries for Walsh as Maroons gun prepares for Origin return

BHQArticleImageLarge82

Maroons fullback Reece Walsh has vowed not to take a backwards step in his first game back from the concussion which ended his night in Origin I after just eight minutes.

Having sat out Round 14 and 15 for the Broncos as he worked through the NRL’s concussion protocol, next Wednesday’s interstate showdown at the Melbourne Cricket Ground will be Walsh’s first taste of footy since the incident that saw Blues debutant Joseph Sua'ali'i sent off and banned for four games.

When asked if it will change his game at all, Walsh said if there was any doubt in his mind about his ability to return to the field and be himself then he wouldn’t have put his hand up for selection.

“If I had any doubts or I was scared, I wouldn’t pull on the Queensland jersey,” Walsh from Queensland camp in Toowoomba on Tuesday.

“I know how much it means to the people of Queensland and the past players, and they need a team out there that’s willing to put their body on the line and do whatever for their state.

“If I was scared or shy in any way, I think I’d pull myself out.”

The 21-year-old said he’d spoken to Sua'ali'i since that night and declared there was no lingering bad blood, with his main concern being that young daughter Leila – who was sitting in the stands at Accor Stadium when he lay injured on the ground – will remember the incident.

“She was a bit upset there when she saw me on the floor… hopefully she doesn’t remember it when she gets older,” Walsh said.

“He [Sua'ali'i] sent me a nice message and I sent him a nice one back as well.

“You want to go out there and represent your state with pride and do whatever you can for your team and things happen.

“I wouldn’t say it was too hard [for me to deal with], that’s footy at the end of the day, stuff happens and you have just got to adapt.

“I am just glad the boys went out there and worked their backsides off and got a good result.”

Walsh joked that he had to twist coach Billy Slater's arm to keep him in the team for Game Two, after Dolphins flyer Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow played a starring role in his place as Queensland ran out 38-10 winners in the series opener.

After watching on from the stands as 'Hammer' equaled the State of Origin record for most tries in a game with a hat-trick, in addition to running for 224 metres, Walsh said he is excited to see what they can do together on the field as the Maroons look to wrap up a third-straight series win.

“He is phenomenal, even just his game on the weekend, what he brings to a footy team; you can’t coach speed and it’s hard to go up against speed,” Walsh said of ‘Hammer’.

"There was a bit of persuading there for Bill to give my job back because Hammer killed it. I’m just glad he’s in my team. I can use his skills and back him up and I know he’s going to do the same to me.”

NRL.com

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
I think we're good money to beat Souths and Sharks if Walsh was playing. Sailor had that much of a stinker, and Walsh is that good.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Looking forward to see how the grubs injure him illegally this time. They haven't tried his legs yet.

edit: oh wait they tried that too. Liam Martin took his legs out after kicking in the first few mins.
That’s right the MRC cited him for that and he got two weeks suspe………

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
That’s right the MRC cited him for that and he got two weeks suspe………

I have read a number of articles in the days since that first Origin just casually stating Martin hit Walsh after kicking while he was in the air. Not a single blow up about it despite that being a penalty every day of the week and twice if the offender is wearing a Broncos jersey.

I get more disillusioned with this game and its administration every fucking week. I'll be walking away by the end of the year at this rate.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Looking forward to see how the grubs injure him illegally this time. They haven't tried his legs yet.

edit: oh wait they tried that too. Liam Martin took his legs out after kicking in the first few mins.
The media are going along the same lines again... apparently Qld only have one player, because Martin, Leniu, etc. are all going after Reece

Can see them taking his legs out from underneath him on bombs under the guise of "competing for the ball"... NSWRL media won't be happy until he can no longer play at all apparently

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I have read a number of articles in the days since that first Origin just casually stating Martin hit Walsh after kicking while he was in the air. Not a single blow up about it despite that being a penalty every day of the week and twice if the offender is wearing a Broncos jersey.

I get more disillusioned with this game and its administration every fucking week. I'll be walking away by the end of the year at this rate.
Tackling kickers is a thing again .
They over reacted to a cpl of kickers getting their legs clipped .[Well , Illias was a little more than a clip ] but a week or two later tackling the kicker after the event is back on the menu. Watch for it next game you watch . Penalties around kicks are off . Even that BS blocker / in front of the kicker has been forgotten .

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Tackling kickers is a thing again .
They over reacted to a cpl of kickers getting their legs clipped .[Well , Illias was a little more than a clip ] but a week or two later tackling the kicker after the event is back on the menu. Watch for it next game you watch . Penalties around kicks are off . Even that BS blocker / in front of the kicker has been forgotten .
When the kicker is on the ground it's fine, as long as they're wrapping as well, but if the kicker leaves the ground then it's basically an automatic penalty.

Jahrome Hughes got a penalty for one of the softest I've seen just last weekend... he basically kicked it whilst jumping forward towards the warriors player and then dropped to the ground... the ref gave him his penalty.

Walsh was tackled in the air after a kick by Martin, but the ref let it go... Martin later flopped into a tackle on Walsh well late, and the ref let that go ... then NSW took his head off.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
#NRL .
No rhyme or reason . How / why is it that when the most eyes are watching the games the rules get changed ?
The NRL also don`t apply the international rules . Can seem weird watching international matches and not understanding the rules .

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
If they target him again and someone "gets it wrong" again then the offending player ought to cop a huge suspension. I'm thinking a send off and a 12 week suspension would suffice

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Turned it off after the harsh penalty against Black and the poor play by Leota before they score again. Fuckem.

Unread

Active Now

• rnabokov
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.