Under 19 Origin

For those that know more than me........how has he (Black) looked when his team is actually on the front foot?

Game management is IMO just as important as a good kick for a no.7. He showed none when I was watching...although the obstruction was clever, was it by luck or him spotting an opportunity? He appears smart enough.... maybe. That side was a rabble last night...is that on him?
Bit harsh....

I would say last night was pretty much how he plays at this stage. That is across City, Wynnum, Souths, Bears, Queensland and Marsden. Different teams and combinations.

If only Madden had something else going for him you'd actually make a point instead of proving mine.

Like a passing game that leads to tries ?
Defence that doesn`t miss tackles ?
A willingness to take on the line ?
Torpedo bombs that opposition #1s can`t catch ?

Those sort of things ? Nah .....

Those sort of things that you see consistently, not the odd example here and there over the course of a season.

Certainly didn't see a lot of it in that game you were so desperate to bring back up.

Those sort of things that you see consistently, not the odd example here and there over the course of a season.

Certainly didn't see a lot of it in that game you were so desperate to bring back up.

Patience grasshopper ...

Outside of one grubber into the in-goal which nobody bothered to chase, I thought his short kicking game was lousy.

Which is what I was aiming at by calling him a punter. His long distance kicking game was impressive and that's a solid starting point for any young half. However all the other aspects (short distance, running, ball-playing, organising, defence) were lacking and it's not just a once off either.
Black needs some time in the Cup is all. Same with Bukowski.

Reconvene in a year's time.

This is probably only the fourth u19s game I've watched so I'm no expert but seems like every year NSW wins the middle and has a halfback that looks incredible. Black is the first halfback I've seen actually fight back even if it was through kicking only. I think the score would've been worse if he wasn't there.

Black looks like he loves it when the pressure is on too, that is what most impresses me. Bukowski also had some nice moments but right now, Mozer looks the better of the two but is also one year further in development. Leota has looked awful in every single game I've seen him play and that is about 5 or 6 now. Has no awareness either side of the ball.

But back to Black, the most exciting halfback we've had coming through in possibly over 10 years.
Black and Bukowski have the skill sets to slot into the NRL team right now.

Black might be already be a partial upgrade on Madden, but it would be a shame to see him cop the same sort of flak everyone else in the spine is getting when aspects of his game, other than distance kicking, are a fair way off maturity.

Same advice to Bukowski I had for Mozer. Killer service at dummy half isn't enough to budge our current incumbents, namely Billy. If you're to come through the bench, you need more strings to your bow. You need to be able to cover another position, at least in the halves, and you need to defend like a tacklebot.

I would cut Leota free. He offers nothing over Karapani.

Black and Bukowski have the skill sets to slot into the NRL team right now.

Black might be already be a partial upgrade on Madden, but it would be a shame to see him cop the same sort of flak everyone else in the spine is getting when aspects of his game, other than distance kicking, are a fair way off maturity.

Same advice to Bukowski I had for Mozer. Killer service at dummy half isn't enough to budge our current incumbents, namely Billy. If you're to come through the bench, you need more strings to your bow. You need to be able to cover another position, at least in the halves, and you need to defend like a tacklebot.

I would cut Leota free. He offers nothing over Karapani.

I don’t think either of the Bs have the skills to plug in to our team right now, a young struggling team does not need more youngsters.

Leota though, man what a disappointment.

I don’t think either of the Bs have the skills to plug in to our team right now, a young struggling team does not need more youngsters.

Yes, I know he was one you had on your list for some time. File with Ethan Quai-Ward.

I would like to see Black get some time paired with Reynolds - when Mam is on Origin duty, perhaps. But not this season.

Looks like Leota has a Top 30 contract next year as well.

I think him being identified and coming through to now getting a Top 30 contract has me concerned when combined with the lack of depth across the squad.

Having a lack of depth across the squad can be mitigated if the youth coming through can step up and keep coming through.

Mariner was basically in his position 2yrs ago, but was already looking capable in the 2022 trials and ended up debuting at 18/19 that year.

Not sure I have similar faith in Leota if he had to debut this year

Looks like Leota has a Top 30 contract next year as well.

I think him being identified and coming through to now getting a Top 30 contract has me concerned when combined with the lack of depth across the squad.

Having a lack of depth across the squad can be mitigated if the youth coming through can step up and keep coming through.

Mariner was basically in his position 2yrs ago, but was already looking capable in the 2022 trials and ended up debuting at 18/19 that year.

Not sure I have similar faith in Leota if he had to debut this year
Leota is Development.

You said "next year as well." As well as what? Also, where did you see he has top 30 next year?

It's on the NRL contracts page

Just saying, but I wouldn't mind this being a 3 game series it was significantly more enjoyable to watch than then the women's state of origin no hate.

Having it on a Thursday on the origin effected rounds would make it not conflict with either and I think it would be great for the game to have more interest in the youth.

Being it's an origin and we have the best youth players involved it legit wasn't far off being like a first grade game to watch quality wise, it was a great spectacle.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Adammacca
  • Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Pablo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • eazy-duzzit
  • porouian
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.