Salary Cap

Why should somewhere like Perth, who have a fully functioning junior league system operating, have to be given a hand-me-down useless club?

In the real world, business that are run like shit, go belly up. Why are we trying so hard to be different than the world league is played in?

I don't mean you relocate them with the same name, I mean no new teams. Relocate your existing ones to better markets. A 16 team comp is the way to go at the moment. The player talent is not their to sustain another two clubs at a stretch. We don't want to be like Union and stretch the player market. Once you get 16 strong clubs in a sound financial position, add more clubs then. But focus on existing clubs first.

I don't mean you relocate them with the same name, I mean no new teams. Relocate your existing ones to better markets. A 16 team comp is the way to go at the moment. The player talent is not their to sustain another two clubs at a stretch. We don't want to be like Union and stretch the player market. Once you get 16 strong clubs in a sound financial position, add more clubs then. But focus on existing clubs first.

Between us, you're the only one talking about expansion. Not me. I said drop the teams who can't run their business, and give their licence to someone else.

**** relocation. shut them down, start a new one. Work with them more? How? They haven't been able to do it correctly in many decades some of them, nothing will change, and the NRL don't have the balls to really force an old club to do anything.

Rugby League in Australia seemed to be doing just fine when there was no salary cap.

Because soccer is an international sport.
Question, how many West Bromwich fans do you know? Or Real Betis? Or Deportivo de La Coruna?
I can name a ton of supporters that I know personally for each league team however.

Go to the UK and tell me how many West Bromwich fans you see.. You wouldn't be able to count all of them.

You tell me how many West Bromwich fans go through those gates despite the competition being only a 4 horse race.

They have an average of 23k (90% of their stadium capacity). Which is pretty good for a team that doesn't stand a chance in winning anything.

Go to the UK and tell me how many West Bromwich fans you see.. You wouldn't be able to count all of them.

You tell me how many West Bromwich fans go through those gates despite the competition being only a 4 horse race.

They have an average of 23k (90% of their stadium capacity). Which is pretty good for a team that doesn't stand a chance in winning anything.

Add Sydney to the mix though. They don't go and watch their team when they're winning. Can't kick them out though. Idiot sport.

WBA home vs Tottenham

900px-The_Hawthorns_2013-12-21.jpg

Away at London's most popular club:

Arsenal_Stadium_Emirates.jpeg

If we had a soft cap huge RL clubs could make bids for big name Union players, which would grow the sport in NZ, SA, and the USA imo (if we could match French Union offers, which clubs like the Broncos, Dogs, Rorters, Storm could).

Super League was the best thing to happen to RL in terms of team distribution.

EDIT: On the topic of South Africa, there is a massive opportunity to get into that market. Perth has a huge SA population, and has, as we see when they sell out grounds when the NRL takes a game there, an appetite for RL. Union is also very class exclusive in South Africa as well.

It also helps that as an away fan, you can get to practically any game your team plays in England in the space of just 6 hours on a train. Without flying, try doing Townsville to Melbourne in 6 hours?
Plus the fact that England has 52 million people also helps their figures nationally. Soccer is a national sport that has teams in the EPL from all parts, not just for 7 million of the population like league has with only the eastern states. On a stadium capacity, sure they get a decent amount of fans, but I'm sure if all of Australia was accessible by Train in less than a day at an affordable rate then our crowd figures would be fairly decent as well.
I'm sure if someone lived in Bourke and Suncorp was 2 hours on a train, then a die hard fan would be travelling every week to support them. Logistics help England out a lot more than you think.
I quite like the fact that a team can get the wooden spoon one year, and the next be in the grand final in October.

It also helps that as an away fan, you can get to practically any game your team plays in England in the space of just 6 hours on a train. Without flying, try doing Townsville to Melbourne in 6 hours?
Plus the fact that England has 52 million people also helps their figures nationally. Soccer is a national sport that has teams in the EPL from all parts, not just for 7 million of the population like league has with only the eastern states. On a stadium capacity, sure they get a decent amount of fans, but I'm sure if all of Australia was accessible by Train in less than a day at an affordable rate then our crowd figures would be fairly decent as well.
I'm sure if someone lived in Bourke and Suncorp was 2 hours on a train, then a die hard fan would be travelling every week to support them. Logistics help England out a lot more than you think.
I quite like the fact that a team can get the wooden spoon one year, and the next be in the grand final in October.

There are also ferrys from France and Germany that I believe are relatively cheap. Also I think there's a tunnel under the Channel these days.

Explain 10 to 15 thousand fans in a 80K stadium between two Sydney teams. 1 hour train ride at the most in Australia's largest city for its best supported code.

Explain 10 to 15 thousand fans in a 80K stadium between two Sydney teams. 1 hour train ride at the most in Australia's largest city for its best supported code.

They're shit fans in an over saturated market of mediocrity. You don't have to be that good, because you know that it's almost completed luck that gets you to the winners circle.

They're shit fans in an over saturated market of mediocrity. You don't have to be that good, because you know that it's almost completed luck that gets you to the winners circle.
Are you sure it's not tunnels? :p

The EPL to NRL comparison doesn't work because the Premier League caters to drawing a crowd while Rugby League is all about television ratings.

If we were comparing apples to apples, nearly every game would be played at 3:00pm on Saturday over a long period of time to the point where it's a tradition.

The EPL to NRL comparison doesn't work because the Premier League caters to drawing a crowd while Rugby League is all about television ratings.

If we were comparing apples to apples, nearly every game would be played at 3:00pm on Saturday over a long period of time to the point where it's a tradition.

We will add that to the list of problems the NRL are causing / have caused.

We will add that to the list of problems the NRL are causing / have caused.

They have to schedule games separately to draw tv ratings. They don't have the luxury of selling tv rights to Asia, Europe and Africa for mega dollars to make up for the TV ratings decline in the home country.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Pablo
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.