Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
C0890e1a08f4227c84baf2d360fa5bda

Sam Thaiday’s winding journey from Cowboys reject to Broncos legend

TRAVIS MEYN, The Courier-Mail
August 8, 2018 6:56pm

SAM Thaiday signed a contract with the Brisbane Broncos in a Townsville carpark for a pair of footy boots and a few thousand dollars.

That was 16 years ago.

Thaiday has since evolved into a Test and State of Origin star, won an NRL premiership with Brisbane and captained the Broncos.

Against the North Queensland Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium in Townsville, Thaiday will become the 33rd player in NRL history to play 300 first grade games after overcoming the odds to reach the rare milestone.

“You couldn’t have scripted it this way,” Thaiday said ahead of his return home.

“It’s amazing to play my 300th game in Townsville where my love of football started.

“It’s remarkable how it’s all panned out.”

COWBOY TO BRONCO

Thaiday, 33, was raised in Townsville and attended renowned league nursery Kirwan State High School.

He sat on the hill with his family as the Cowboys ran on to the old Stockland Stadium for their first premiership match in 1995.

Thaiday did whatever it took to get to Cowboys games as a kid, selling Big League magazines at the stadium in exchange for a ticket.

The Torres Strait Islander attended Cowboys junior development camps, but the club never offered him a contract, opening the door for legendary Broncos scout Cyril Connell to pounce.

“I saw him play as a kid and I said to Cyril Connell ‘we have to get him’,” Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said.

“I liked his aggression and I liked the way he played. There was just something about him that told me he would make it.

“Six months later, Cyril told me he was coming. That was the start of it all.

“There’s not many players who deserve the warrior tag, but he is one of them.”

Thaiday vividly remembers the day in 2002 when his dream of signing with an NRL club came true.

“I still remember Cyril Connell and Paul Bunn (recruiter) coming up to Townsville and signing me as a young kid,” Thaiday said.

“I didn’t quite believe it at first. The Broncos was a team I always loved watching through those early ’90s when they were so successful. How could you not follow them?

“To even just be given a chance and opportunity to train down here was a great thing.

“I even remember the carpark where I first met Cyril and Paul and they gave me a pair of boots. It was such a surreal thing.”

CAPTAINCY HEARTBREAK

Thaiday made his NRL debut for the Broncos as an 18-year-old in 2003.

He earned a State of Origin debut for Queensland as part of former coach Mal Meninga’s shake-up in 2006, the year that kicked off the Maroons’ eight-straight dynasty, and played in Brisbane’s premiership team later that year.

Thaiday graduated to the Kangaroos after the 2006 NRL season and played 34 games for Australia in a Test career that spanned 12 years.

At the peak of his career, Thaiday took over the Broncos captaincy following club legend Darren Lockyer’s retirement in 2011.

Two years later, he was forced out of the role by then coach Anthony Griffin, but told to publicly announce he was stepping down.

“It’s such a great honour to captain this club,” Thaiday said.

“That was a very hard, tough time in my career. It made me question a few things, whether I wanted to be here or stay here.

“I jokingly said it started raining that day and Brisbane was crying for me.

“I stayed true to my values and loyal to the club and I’m glad I have the chance to finish up here at the end of the year.”

REACHING 300

Thaiday feared he would never play one NRL game after joining a Brisbane team boasting forward stars like Gorden Tallis, Petero Civoniceva, Shane Webcke and Tonie Carroll.

He fought his way to NRL stardom and knocked back big money offers to leave the Broncos, but reaching the triple century was never going to be easy.

Last year was one of the toughest of Thaiday’s 16-season career.

He was sacked by indigenous health group Deadly Choices following a racist remark, dropped from the Queensland Origin team one match short of the 30-game statesmen’s club, and overlooked for Kangaroos World Cup selection.

“To be honest, I wasn’t sure if he should play this year or not,” Bennett admitted.

“We talked about retirement last year, but I’m pleased Sam has played on because he has been one of our best players week-in, week-out this year.

“Early in the season, there were rumours he would finish his career at Norths, but I told him I would never do that to him.

“He’s earnt his jumper every week. He can’t play the minutes he used to but I’m really happy with the role he is playing.

“He is the most popular Bronco by far. Everywhere we go the fans want a piece of Sam and that’s nice.

“That’s because of his personality and his loyalty to the Broncos. He’s a one club man who has spent his life with us. He has walked the walk for the Broncos.”

Thaiday will retire at season’s end after joining Corey Parker and Lockyer as the only players to have notched up 300 games for the Broncos.

He and captain Darius Boyd are the only remaining members of Brisbane’s last title triumph in 2006 and Thaiday believes a premiership swan song would be the ultimate farewell before he embarks on life after football.

“I was a bit naive back then as a 21-year-old, with the team we had I thought they’d come very often,” he said.

“It shows in rugby league how hard it is to get there and win one.

“I’m trying to enjoy it as much as I can and have as much fun as I can with the boys.

“It’s going to be very different for me next year. I’m going to have to find a hobby.”

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited:
[HASHTAG]#Cowboyz4lyf[/HASHTAG]!

So the Cows didn't want him, the Broncos gave him his shot, and he reckons he's gonna be a Cows supporter in retirement.

You are a joker in more ways than one, Sam.

So the Cows didn't want him, the Broncos gave him his shot, and he reckons he's gonna be a Cows supporter in retirement.

You are a joker in more ways than one, Sam.

are you trying to tell me that if you were a professional rugby league player, grew up supporting the Broncos, but they didn't want you and the Cowboys did, when you retired, the Broncos would be dead to you, and you wouldn't support them ever again ...

Sam Thaidays loyalty and dedication should never ever be questioned

are you trying to tell me that if you were a professional rugby league player, grew up supporting the Broncos, but they didn't want you and the Cowboys did, when you retired, the Broncos would be dead to you, and you wouldn't support them ever again ...

You bet your life I would. 300 games, a glittering representative career and a life long media career waiting at the exit? There's plenty to be grateful for.

Mt. Isa is a lot closer to Townsville than it is Brisbane. do you see Locky coming out saying he'd rather support the Cows?

Last edited:
You bet your life I would. 300 games, a glittering representative career and a life long media career waiting at the exit? There's plenty to be grateful for.

bullshit

I thought sams hobby was cooking. Only now when he's retired he can eat all of it as well.

I'm not sure if they would be dead to me, but the club that gave me career and I had spent my entire career at would be my absolute priority. I certainly wouldn't be telling the papers about my love for the other club the week before we play them, especially when that club is the arch rival of my career club.

I'm not sure if they would be dead to me, but the club that gave me career and I had spent my entire career at would be my absolute priority. I certainly wouldn't be telling the papers about my love for the other club the week before we play them, especially when that club is the arch rival of my career club.
I sure am finding it difficult that I am agreeing with you more and more lately :biggrin:

Also, he could have only supported the Cowboys for 6 years before he was bought into the Broncos, that doesn't include any time he spent in our junior systems. 1995-2002. Played longer here than he could have supported them, bugger him.

I sure am finding it difficult that I am agreeing with you more and more lately :biggrin:

I can imagine how confusing this is for you.

I'd be on the phone to the Broncos the second I was off contract. If they didn't want me I'd make use of my rep resume to go to Union. The equivalent for a Broncos fan in Sam's scenario is playing for the storm, rorters, or cows, I couldn't do that long term.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Ondi
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.