Sam Walker botched contract talks

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The thing about country communities is that you can’t get away with anything without the whole community knowing. In the city, you can just blend in amongst the crowd, but you live and die by your convictions in a smaller population. It makes people much more accountable, so loyalty is massive.

Or let's use my example. There is a pedo in the Pinnacle area. You reckon they bannish him? Box they're all friendly dumb bumpkins and treat him like one of the community, while ripping in about him every other chance.

Add the gossip, the complaining, rains too muchz rains not enough, no money in this product anymore, do nothing to change, etc.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I dunno. This seems like an old grudge to me. Those blokes would have been in and around Siebold in the broncos system as players.

I couldn’t think more of Ben Walker, honestly. But there’s something else going on here. I reckon it’s more about the Broncos not entertaining the Walker Bro’s as coaches. I’ve always welcomed the idea, but I can see there’s definitely bad blood in this.

It does sound a bit more personal, and it wouldn't surprise me it has something to do with the fact that the Broncos would not entertain the idea of the Walker brothers coaching here. Maybe the Broncos knew that the parents would take some of that baggage in to the contract talks. Perhaps even they were involved in earlier talks and they were making some demands as to how they would like Sam to be treated, coached, maybe trying to force their vision of Sam on the club and the Broncos weren't too keen on that. I don't know of course, just trying to think of a legitimate reason the Broncos and Seibold would have done what they did. ****, maybe they were actually showing Sam some respect and were treating him like an "adult" and giving him the chance to feel confident and in control of his own destiny. It may just be a misunderstanding or something that got blown out of the water.

16 though. Even if they didn't want Dad sticking his nose in how the Broncos were doing their business, surely you want Mum there to let her know you're looking out for her kid.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It sounds dodgy as hell. Underage contract with no parents? **** you Pies you ****.

even if Walker had signed the contract, it wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on without his parents consent

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
even if Walker had signed the contract, it wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on without his parents consent

Depends if his manager was there and what he's allowed to do on their behalf.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
If they got a 16 year old’s signature without mum and dad’s knowledge would it even count?
Exactly. The whole thing sounds seriously underhand by the Broncos at the time.

Hopefully DD is able to at least get the Walker brothers to sit down for a coffee and a yarn to get their take on the issue first-hand so a situation like this is never able to occur again at the club.

It is fairly obvious that there was no recognised playbook for these types of negotiations and if there were they obviously were not fit for purpose.

I'd hope DD ensures there is a fully documented policy written down so that in the future the whole of the club is reading from the same page.

DD spoke of making the Broncos the biggest club in terms of signed up members. The sooner this happens the better. There also needs to be an overhaul of our systems that cover the way the club projects it's image to the region. Some of the stories on here referring to carnivals and the sheer absence of our brand is utter deplorable. We need to get back into the schools and carnivals and encourage the kids to see the Broncos as their local home-based team.

My two nephews are footy mad (as is their dad) but they both go for the Storm which just does not sit well with their dad or me. When you ask them why they don't follow the Broncos they both say "they're rubbish and have no players that excite us". How do we argue against that?

My other nephew is in the same school and a couple of years behind where Sam Walker attended. He tells me that all his mates have now began to support the Roosters. That's the Broncos' future paying public being diminished right there. And I'm sure many other SE Queensland kids playing footy will be looking at Walker and thinking maybe that's the way to go. That needs to be addressed very quickly by ensuring the Broncos are front and centre with these kids.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I know. The country values crap is what I mean. It's thrown around by country people like it's a thing, relying on those in the city to not know. It's no different. Plenty of people out there would treat you exactly the same as an asshole in the city.

That's the thing, assholes are assholes no matter where they are. I'm from Pinnacle, I get it, my family say the same shit.
My old man's worst insult is "city people."

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
This kid pictured here in the gif, he looks familiar . I was wondering if he grew up and became a successful actor?
It's a very common meme/gif so you may have just seen it before

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think Donuts will sit down with them at some point. Even if it doesn't result in mending the burnt bridge by the greatest sports fraud ever in Seibold and landing Walker the younger, at least you let them know the Broncos are back in business now and at least learn what went wrong to make sure you don't do it again.

I suspect though Seibold will get his crack set of on crack lawyers on to this within the next 24-48 hours.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Who wouldn't tell their 16 year old kid to leave the job immediately if you thought their employer was trying to strong arm them into a contract and specifically asked them to go alone.

I fully agree with @Jedhead I'd be calling his parents, not so much as a come sign with us, but to say hey, I've heard the story I want to know your side of things because that was a big mistake from our organisation and as the new CEO I want to make sure it never happens again.

It won't do much but it'll signal a serious change of attitude and will make a huge difference to us being at the negotiating table in 2023 or being laughed off.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah, and I bet his bumpkin mates think it's a great insult too. They're all piss an moan out there.
I grew up with it. The city bloke is the bush equivalent of the Irishman. Oh yeah, there's a worse one: Greenie. Like your good mate Coxy.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly. The whole thing sounds seriously underhand by the Broncos at the time.

Hopefully DD is able to at least get the Walker brothers to sit down for a coffee and a yarn to get their take on the issue first-hand so a situation like this is never able to occur again at the club.

It is fairly obvious that there was no recognised playbook for these types of negotiations and if there were they obviously were not fit for purpose.

I'd hope DD ensures there is a fully documented policy written down so that in the future the whole of the club is reading from the same page.

DD spoke of making the Broncos the biggest club in terms of signed up members. The sooner this happens the better. There also needs to be an overhaul of our systems that cover the way the club projects it's image to the region. Some of the stories on here referring to carnivals and the sheer absence of our brand is utter deplorable. We need to get back into the schools and carnivals and encourage the kids to see the Broncos as their local home-based team.

My two nephews are footy mad (as is their dad) but they both go for the Storm which just does not sit well with their dad or me. When you ask them why they don't follow the Broncos they both say "they're rubbish and have no players that excite us". How do we argue against that?

My other nephew is in the same school and a couple of years behind where Sam Walker attended. He tells me that all his mates have now began to support the Roosters. That's the Broncos' future paying public being diminished right there. And I'm sure many other SE Queensland kids playing footy will be looking at Walker and thinking maybe that's the way to go. That needs to be addressed very quickly by ensuring the Broncos are front and centre with these kids.
Aside from our success we had other things. We had an unspoken 'no mug lairs' policy. We had a couple of exceptions I can think of but generally we had legends who acted like regular folk. I'm thinking of Lazo, Gene Miles, Alfie, Kev, Mick Devere, Civo, Jed Allen, Webcke and quite a few others too. We had WB . We had a club that made us very proud and hated the Mundine types, the show ponies. We even felt embarrassed by Wendell Sailor but forgave him like a tolerant grandma.

We can't have that back either because personality is banned in today's woke world. We can't take the piss or rather we can't have our players being risque or joking/mockingly ragging one another or others. Everyone's got to be careful, watchful and neutral. I hate it.

We only have winning now. Even recent winners, Melbourne and the Roosters are as bland as they come. No more beer hats in gfs or chants that St George can't play.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Theres more to this story than that. I honestly think theres some spite being thrown around for a narrative thats juicy. Roosters would have always been in the picture - they are fantastic at identifying talent and offering a great system inside their club. I dont believ for a second that because Brisbane fucked it up they decided to walk along to the next option of Roosters.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Scorchie
  • Galah
  • Porthoz
  • Lazza
  • The Don
  • Mustafur
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.