Say hello to the Brisbane Nines

I think it would be good if they played the 9's in Perth or Adelaide or somewhere else in New Zealand. Tournaments like this is a fun way of promoting the game and taking it to non Rugby League states especially Western Australia (where a team could be set up) can build up interest there and could bring a following of some sort there.
Would have to be a league stronghold to be financially viable. Not even sure Melbourne would work.

We can't give anything else to those Melbourne snobs. They already think they're the sporting capital of Australia.

Would have to be a league stronghold to be financially viable. Not even sure Melbourne would work.

They are all about the novelty, of course it would work. Only reason it bombed this year is because NZ haven't won it yet (probably won't ever win it or anything else) and there is a juicy cricket game being played as well.

They play the Rugby 7's in places that aren't Rugby strongholds and they do very well.

They play the Rugby 7's in places that aren't Rugby strongholds and they do very well.
If you played in Perth you'd have to import the vast majority of fans, it's too big of a risk. Personally I think this format has run its course.

If you played in Perth you'd have to import the vast majority of fans, it's too big of a risk. Personally I think this format has run its course.

I think it still has a bit of life in it.

To me, having it in NZ was a bad idea. The vast majority of NZ fans only care about the Warriors and when they don't do well, the crowd numbers drop significantly.

It would also help if the coaches took it seriously.

But I think it can still work. It does showcase a lot of young talent.

I think if they still want it to be around, it has to be brought over to Australia. Or at least mix it up a bit and have it in Australia one year, and NZ the next.

I think it still has a bit of life in it.

To me, having it in NZ was a bad idea. The vast majority of NZ fans only care about the Warriors and when they don't do well, the crowd numbers drop significantly.

It would also help if the coaches took it seriously.

But I think it can still work. It does showcase a lot of young talent.
After going to the 2015 tournament, I can tell you first hand that the NZ crowd couldn't give a **** about the tournament unless the Warriors are playing. The crowd is virtually silent all day, and as soon as the Warriors are done for the day everyone leaves.

The 9s needs to be a traveling roadshow, played in a different city each year. That should keep the crowd numbers up as the novelty won't have a chance to wear off. Having the 9s in the same place for 5 years in a row was a shitty decision.

Sydney is the place to hold. Most of the teams are from there

I will probably go as well... and lose 5 kgs in perspiration in the process. :pokeytongue:

Put a single competition point up for grabs as well as the money.

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Mick_Hancock
  • lynx000
  • phoenix
  • Purple Pills
  • Mr Fourex
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • inwyn
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Reds2011
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.