SBW / Mike Tyson

Tyson is allowed in Aus, but I don't see this eventuating. With the right training prior though, anyone who thinks a footy player like SBW or Gal would win is kidding themselves IMO.

The fitness levels would be in their favour, but the ring knowledge and smarts that Tyson has is something else completely.

Again, really don't see it happening unless it's a charity event how that reality show guy "fought" SBW.

Danny Green embarrassed an ageing Roy Jones Jr. Mike hasn’t trained in 15 years let alone fought. Can he still even take a jab from a 6’5” 100kg guy? Can he do what he did to the pads on a moving target who fights back?

People acting like SBW doesn’t stand a chance are completely caught up in hype.

Difference between Danny green and sbw is night and day though.
Even if it was an exhibition fight all it would take is on of those Merkins to go a little to hard and that would be the end of them 53 years old and all.

Last edited:
Danny Green embarrassed an ageing Roy Jones Jr. Mike hasn’t trained in 15 years let alone fought. Can he still even take a jab from a 6’5” 100kg guy? Can he do what he did to the pads on a moving target who fights back?

People acting like SBW doesn’t stand a chance are completely caught up in hype.
What kind of illogical comparison is SBW to Green in boxing terms?

Danny Green - boxing his whole life.
SBW - not a boxer. Has dabbled in boxing due to the luxury afforded to him of being a rugby player.

If you think SBW is a "pro" boxer when he's fought a few no names and practically lost to an ageing Botha all because Botha knew his way around the ring, you might need to re watch his fights.
Not sure if SBW can actually throw a jab against someone who's not a chump either.
We may as well say Barry Hall and Paul Gallen would flog him, maybe even Darcy Lussick?

What kind of illogical comparison is SBW to Green in boxing terms?

Danny Green - boxing his whole life.
SBW - not a boxer. Has dabbled in boxing due to the luxury afforded to him of being a rugby player.

If you think SBW is a "pro" boxer when he's fought a few no names and practically lost to an ageing Botha all because Botha knew his way around the ring, you might need to re watch his fights.
Not sure if SBW can actually throw a jab against someone who's not a chump either.
We may as well say Barry Hall and Paul Gallen would flog him, maybe even Darcy Lussick?

SBW is definitely not Danny Green but a 53 year old inactive for 2 decades Mike Tyson is not a never stopped fighting 40 year old Roy Jones either.

Botha troubled SBW because he is a war horse who used experience and ring smarts to drag the fight out long enough to smother SBW...and he still lost mind you. How many matches did Tyson ever win on decision by fighting defensively until the bell?

I don’t think SBW is anything special, I think Tyson is a 53 year old man who hasn’t fought in almost 20 years and was already struggling before he stopped. In all honesty Gallen would probably have a decent chance of winning too.

To be clear, I’m not saying SBW is a sure thing but I’m not the one making definitive statements about an old man killing one of the best athletes in history who is not entirely terrible at boxing.

Last edited:
SBW is definitely not Danny Green but a 53 year old inactive for 2 decades Mike Tyson is not a never stopped fighting 40 year old Roy Jones either.

Botha troubled SBW because he is a war horse who used experience and ring smarts to drag the fight out long enough to smother SBW...and he still lost mind you. How many matches did Tyson ever win on decision by fighting defensively until the bell?

I don’t think SBW is anything special, I think Tyson is a 53 year old man who hasn’t fought in almost 20 years and was already struggling before he stopped. In all honesty Gallen would probably have a decent chance of winning too.

To be clear, I’m not saying SBW is a sure thing but I’m not the one making definitive statements about an old man killing one of the best athletes in history who is not entirely terrible at boxing.
Your last paragraph is a real hoot!!

FTR, Gallen doesn’t even rate his own chances with Tyson.

Your last paragraph is a real hoot!!

FTR, Gallen doesn’t even rate his own chances with Tyson.

Mate, even Gal isn’t a big enough fuckwit to say he’d beat one of the most respected names in boxing history. The same way no one ever comes out and said they’d be a chance against Ali, even though a number of fighters over the years could’ve reasonably made that claim.

Ask any NRL centre how they think they’d fair if Mal Maninga strapped the boots back up and lined up opposite them. Any player with an ounce of humility would say they wouldn’t stand a chance. Does not make it true.

Last edited:
Giphy

SBW's "boxing career" has really been patchy. He's a professional athlete but he's not a full time boxer.

Tyson has been out of the ring for decades but he seems to be in good shape. He's had an actual boxing career.

I think fitness wise, they would be equal so it would come down to Tyson's age versus SBW's limited experience.

Mate, even Gal isn’t a big enough fuckwit to say he’d beat one of the most respected names in boxing history. The same way no one ever comes out and said they’d be a chance against Ali, even though a number of fighters over the years could’ve reasonably made that claim.

Ask any NRL centre how they think they’d fair if Mal Maninga strapped the boots back up and lined up opposite them. Any player with an ounce of humility would say they wouldn’t stand a chance. Does not make it true.
You still don’t get it.

Yes, Tyson would have been a chance against Ali. As would Holyfield, Lewis, Klitschko(s) etc.; because they were all absolute elite professional boxers.

You keep comparing elite athletes with other elite athletes from within their own sport.
What you seem to be forgetting is Williams (and Gallen for the matter) is not, and never has been, an elite boxer. Not even close.

The same applies to the Meninga comparison.

Jeff Fenech has come out and said that he thinks it is a joke that these guys are mentioned as a possibility to get in the ring with someone like Tyson.

he also said that if SBW or Gallen ever set foot in the ring against Tyson, then Tyson will be up on manslaughter charges

You still don’t get it.

Yes, Tyson would have been a chance against Ali. As would Holyfield, Lewis, Klitschko(s) etc.; because they were all absolute elite professional boxers.

You keep comparing elite athletes with other elite athletes from within their own sport.
What you seem to be forgetting is Williams (and Gallen for the matter) is not, and never has been, an elite boxer. Not even close.

The same applies to the Meninga comparison.

No I completely 100% get it. Who’s the a footy centre that you think is the comparison to SBW’s boxing ability? Name them, even if Mal trains for a year, no matter how dominate he once was, he loses that match up.

You have to realise how much any sport changes in 20 years. There’s every chance that if you take peak Tyson or Ali and click your fingers and put them in the current heavy weight division that they may not be the best in the world. There were no Tyson Fury or AJs in the 90s. Huge guys who can actually box. Maybe Lenox Lewis and guess what happened? He knocked out mike in the 8th round. The sport has changed.

Now add to that Mike is a 53 year old with decades of damage from drug and alcohol abuse. He’s spent the last 10 years smoking weed and doing media and distancing himself as far as possible from the sport of boxing. Bernard Hopkins is a freak who never got out of shape, looked after his health and never stopped training or boxing, Hopkins is a supreme athlete, a smarter boxer than Tyson, and had a style more resilient to ageing and even he began to struggle against far lower status opponents.

I’m not saying Mike couldn’t KO SBW or Gal but it’s definitely not he given that everyone assuming it is based on his golden period in the early 90s and 4 seconds of pad work footage.

I don’t even see why this opinion is controversial.

No I completely 100% get it. Who’s the a footy centre that you think is the comparison to SBW’s boxing ability? Name them, even if Mal trains for a year, no matter how dominate he once was, he loses that match up.

You have to realise how much any sport changes in 20 years. There’s every chance that if you take peak Tyson or Ali and click your fingers and put them in the current heavy weight division that they may not be the best in the world. There were no Tyson Fury or AJs in the 90s. Huge guys who can actually box. Maybe Lenox Lewis and guess what happened? He knocked out mike in the 8th round. The sport has changed.

Now add to that Mike is a 53 year old with decades of damage from drug and alcohol abuse. He’s spent the last 10 years smoking weed and doing media and distancing himself as far as possible from the sport of boxing. Bernard Hopkins is a freak who never got out of shape, looked after his health and never stopped training or boxing, Hopkins is a supreme athlete, a smarter boxer than Tyson, and had a style more resilient to ageing and even he began to struggle against far lower status opponents.

I’m not saying Mike couldn’t KO SBW or Gal but it’s definitely not he given that everyone assuming it is based on his golden period in the early 90s and 4 seconds of pad work footage.

Beyond my better judgement, I will play your silly game.

How about I pick the bloke who played AFL professionally for a number of years and then lined up for the Roosters at the Nines. Give Mal 12 months to get in shape and they line up against one another in a game of league.

That bloke is a not too long retired professional athlete in a game that involves running, tackling etc., has been working with the Roosters for a number of years, comes from a league background and participated in professional league games only a matter of a few months ago.

Safe to say he’d have about as much experience in league as Williams does in boxing, so a fair comparison I’d say.

I know who my money is on.
[automerge]1589157997[/automerge]

Or Boyd 😂

Sorry Darius, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Last edited:
Botha troubled SBW because he is a war horse who used experience and ring smarts to drag the fight out long enough to smother SBW...and he still lost mind you.
You really need to read up on this fight.

Beyond my better judgement, I will play your silly game.

How about I pick the bloke who played AFL professionally for a number of years and then lined up for the Roosters at the Nines. Give Mal 12 months to get in shape and they line up against one another in a game of league.

That bloke is a not too long retired professional athlete in a game that involves running, tackling etc., has been working with the Roosters for a number of years, comes from a league background and participated in professional league games only a matter of a few months ago.

Safe to say he’d have about as much experience in league as Williams does in boxing, so a fair comparison I’d say.

I know who my money is on.
[automerge]1589157997[/automerge]

Or Boyd 😂

Sorry Darius, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

I don’t see how I’m being silly. That’s the exact language I’m taking issue with regarding everyone assuming Tyson is a sure thing. I’m being silly because a former great drug addict who was already heavily on the decline before he hit 30 and has been completely inactive in the 20 years since will struggle big time against even an average fighter 20 years his junior who has been fairly consistently training, fighting, and keeping healthy. This is not a wild claim by any means.

Also I think the hypothetical AFL player in your example smokes Mal’s old ass. So much so that it probably isn’t a fair comparison to Tyson’s comeback.

I think people are getting too caught up in hype and nostalgia.For what it’s worth Tyson is probably my favourite athlete of all time.
[automerge]1589165640[/automerge]

Why exactly? I watched it live and again since. Because it was cut short by 2 rounds? If SBW is such a flop why did Botha have to plan to use the entire 12 rounds and try and win on points through pure experience?

Last edited:
Why exactly? I watched it live and again since. Because it was cut short by 2 rounds? If SBW is such a flop why did Botha have to plan to use the entire 12 rounds and try and win on points through pure experience?

What? That's your argument? Imagine if a footy team just arranged to have their homeground siren go off in the 70th minute with a small lead and just walked off the field and declared themselves the winner, would you be ok with that? If the other team were so good they should have the win wrapped up in 70 right? Botha has every right to follow any gameplan he chooses to win the fight, there's no rule that says you must win by round x. All betting agencies refunded bets on Botha and SBW refused a rematch. Such a weak argument man.

Last edited:
I don’t see how I’m being silly. That’s the exact language I’m taking issue with regarding everyone assuming Tyson is a sure thing. I’m being silly because a former great drug addict who was already heavily on the decline before he hit 30 and has been completely inactive in the 20 years since will struggle big time against even an average fighter 20 years his junior who has been fairly consistently training, fighting, and keeping healthy. This is not a wild claim by any means.

Also I think the hypothetical AFL player in your example smokes Mal’s old ass. So much so that it probably isn’t a fair comparison to Tyson’s comeback.

I think people are getting too caught up in hype and nostalgia.For what it’s worth Tyson is probably my favourite athlete of all time.
[automerge]1589165640[/automerge]

It’s boxing; of course anything could happen, but in a Tyson v Williams fight it just won’t.

It seems Jeff Fenech agrees and so does Mike himself, labelling the idea of jumping in the ring with these blokes as “an insult to boxing”.

FTR; the AFL bloke I mentioned is not hypothetical. Everything except the Meninga part happened. He was a fish out of water at the Nines and would be dominated by any experienced and in shape retired elite league player.

Why? Because he is not and never has been an elite, professional rugby league player. Compared to blokes that are, he just doesn’t know what he’s doing.

I also seriously doubt you watched the Botha fight if that’s your recollection. Williams was well in front on 2 of the 3 judges scorecards and comfortably in front on the other. Botha was not trying to win on points in the final 2 rounds, he dragged Williams into deep water and rocked him several times in the 9th and 10th rounds to the point where he was literally wobbling around. It isn’t then beyond reason to expect there’d be a good chance Williams got (T)KO’ed if the fight went 12 rounds as it was meant to.

Maybe I’m using the wrong language. I’m not saying SBW would win, my issue is with claims that Mike is a sure thing. The guys is so far passed it that it evens the field up a lot more than people are giving nobodies like SBW credit for.

Tyson just responded to SBW and said it would be an insult to the sport If he was to fight him and that if he gets back in the ring it will be against a real boxer [emoji23]

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • heartly87
  • MrTickyMcG
  • RolledOates
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.