NEWS Scandal: player agent spanking

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brent Read reports in tomorrows Telegraph on a player agent crackdown:

Need to know: Gavin Orr represents Payne Haas and Jack Bird. Isaac Moses represents at least 14 Broncos, including Seibold and Fifita. Accused of breaching his obligations as an agent by counselling or assisting a person to not fully cooperate with the NRL integrity unit. Contesting it.

Following a disciplinary process the NRL has determined the following:

Gavin Orr: accreditation cancelled, pending appeal in Feb
Antoun Zibara: fined, with three year probation
Mario Tartak: show cause, possible reinstatement following resolved undisclosed bankruptcy
Isaac Moses: show cause, potential cancellation

Statement from NRL CEO Nick Weeks: “Our integrity unit has conducted extensive investigations over a number of months which has regulated in disciplinary proceedings against four player agents. The reforms of the rules relating to player agents at the end of last year has allowed the NRL to hold player agents accountable in the same way as players and club officials.”

More info on NRL.com

Fairfax (no paywall - delete cookies):

McHunt

Last edited:
It’s incredible how much control one man has over our club. If he wanted to, and spending on how much sway he has with his clients, he could hold our whole club to ransom.

For example of the same agent represented Fifita and an unwanted player say, Kahu. He could easily say something to the effect of, either look after both of these clients or I’ll take Fafita elsewhere.

Last edited:
It’s incredible how much control one man has over our club. If he wanted to, and spending on how much sway he has with his clients, he could hold our whole club to ransom.
Will keep updating this story. Just added Orr represents Haas and Bird.

Does anyone know who Moses was shielding from NRL Integrity? I'm guessing it was Fifita, but no one is reporting that.

For example of the same agent represented Fifita and an unwanted player say, Kahu. He could easily say something to the effect of, either look after both of these clients or I’ll take Fafita elsewhere.

I see it as yet another failing of our recruitment department, that one agent would have such power. They likely thought, ****, this is easy, we can do it all in the one meeting.

Will keep updating this story. Just added Orr represents Haas and Bird.

Does anyone know who Moses was shielding from NRL Integrity? I'm guessing it was Fifita, but no one is reporting that.

Maybe Haas?

I see it as yet another failing of our recruitment department, that one agent would have such power. They likely thought, ****, this is easy, we can do it all in the one meeting.
It would certainly simplify things. We wouldn't even need the coach to attend because the manager could make decisions on his behalf too.

Moses has also represented Israel Folau since he was 14, but I'm not sure what their relationship is now.

I suspect this might be unfashionable view, but I might be siding with the player agents on the issue of protecting their clients from a kangaroo court. The reason you hire an agent is to act on your behalf not just when negotiating contracts, but in shielding you from bureaucrats and the like. Players should have a right not to answer any question that might incriminate them. Without a lawyer present, etc.

Last edited:
Brent Read reports in tomorrows Telegraph on a player agent crackdown:

Need to know: Gavin Orr represents Payne Haas and Jack Bird. Isaac Moses represents at least 14 Broncos, including Seibold and Fifita. Accused of breaching his obligations as an agent by counselling or assisting a person to not fully cooperate with the NRL integrity unit. Contesting it.

Following a disciplinary process the NRL has determined the following:

Gavin Orr: accreditation cancelled, pending appeal in Feb
Antoun Zibara: fined, with three year probation
Mario Tartak: show cause, possible reinstatement following resolved undisclosed bankruptcy
Isaac Moses: show cause, potential cancellation

Statement from NRL CEO Nick Weeks: “Our integrity unit has conducted extensive investigations over a number of months which has regulated in disciplinary proceedings against four player agents. The reforms of the rules relating to player agents at the end of last year has allowed the NRL to hold player agents accountable in the same way as players and club officials.”

More info on NRL.com

Fairfax (no paywall - delete cookies):

McHunt
Missing all the soul mate...loving it!!! Sorry soupy😈

Last edited:
I suspect this might be unfashionable view, but I might be siding with the player agents on the issue of protecting their clients from a kangaroo court. The reason you hire an agent is to act on your behalf not just when negotiating contracts, but in shielding you from bureaucrats and the like. Players should have a right not to answer any question that might incriminate them. Without a lawyer present, etc.
Correct. If you are an potential employee, a job applicant in a sense a club or employer can have an unreasonable amount of power and control. That's true when you already have a job too and players, especially young players are often ill equipped to deal with sometimes very tricky clubs or if you like ,employers. Like police officers, not all player managers are bad. I think any honest person would concede the NRL and prior incarnations have acted like lead poisoned despots.

All good bloke. I just don’t want it to be boring for him to do, otherwise we all miss out.
If he was doing it for purely for accolades then his motivation would be questionable but I don't think he was. He started doing it to keep us informed but, in my humble opinion started to enjoy all the love😀 and was a little swept up in it. All very human I might add. I like the new 'just the facts, maam, nothing but the facts' approach. 😊😊😊

If he was doing it for purely for accolades then his motivation would be questionable but I don't think he was. He started doing it to keep us informed but, in my humble opinion started to enjoy all the love😀 and was a little swept up in it. All very human I might add. I like the new 'just the facts, maam, nothing but the facts' approach. 😊😊😊
That's enough from you. You're blocked.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, the agents can certainly be properly slimy, but I don't for a second accept that the NRL isn't looking to inflict pain on any player or agent who doesn't meekly roll over and just play ball with the integrity unit.

I see it as really no different to a prosecutor with a suspect prior to getting a lawyer on board, they'd much prefer to work them over themselves and see what they can get them to say.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, the agents can certainly be properly slimy, but I don't for a second accept that the NRL isn't looking to inflict pain on any player or agent who doesn't meekly roll over and just play ball with the integrity unit.

I see it as really no different to a prosecutor with a suspect prior to getting a lawyer on board, they'd much prefer to work them over themselves and see what they can get them to say.

I don't agree that it's like that. Part of the players' contracts stipulates that they must comply with the integrity unit. So what we're talking about here is akin to a witness on the stand, in a trial, refusing to answer questions. And being directed to do so by their solicitor.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Wild Horse
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncsgoat
  • Tim K
  • ivanhungryjak
  • NSW stables
  • Spoon
  • lakers133334
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Alec
  • Waynesaurus
  • Reds2011
  • johnyE
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.