Secret weapon in Broncos' title charge

Considering how Titans handled their last coach (didn't listen about high cost of Hayne, fired). I don't think Broncos are in any danger of losing him. Stay with the team that will give you stability and the pulling power of making the finals for the next 20 years in a row.

The guy obviously has talent but nearly everyone on this forum thought we would never rediscover our attacking flair again when Walters left, now we have got it better with JD. As an assistant attacking coach there are always fresh faces with good ideas coming through so that's not the issue. The issue for me is if Bennett retires in the next year or 2, which I doubt and don't want, was he the man to slot in? you can't begrudge the guy an nrl coaching gig if it pops up now, even if it is career suicide, because Bennett could coach for another 10 years for all anyone knows. The question is would we prefer JD or Walters?

He coaches to the cattle the team has not just what he thinks is best. Did it with us and is now showing it at the broncos. Doesn't have a massive ego and thinks his style is going to work for everybody like alot of attack coaches and head coaches.

Brisbane have a shitload more of natural talented players so a structured system just would handicap them

I do remember people here bashing him early on. How things have turned

Based off Broncos 2017, and previous successes...I'd vote JD. Walters is capable, but he'll always be around if JD doesn't work out.
Totally agree, if we don't lock up JD. He will find an opportunity. Where Walters loves the club I think we could get him whenever we wanted to.

Question is how long will Bennett keep coaching given his age and mental inflexibility? It almost sounds like he is realising he can't keep up with adapting tactics and play styles. There hasn't been a team that has done well post Bennett so rather than keeping him as head coach till he drops it would be far better to move him to director of football in the next 2 years. Can still use his strengths in man management and use his football nous and prestige to mentor staff but stay away from tactics and day to day coaching. Give a clear succession pathway to new coach with support. Problem is would his ego and inflexibility prevent allow him to do it and play well with the coach? I know he's been through a divorce and has kids that need money but surely he can happy working for next 10 years on half his million plus pay with less stress and work hours then drop in 5 years on full pay as head coach. Could be brilliant plan but admit could create disastrous disharmony if Bennett and new coach can't work well together roles not clearly defined. For me example is Panthers model. If Griffin can work with Gould then surely anyone but Tallis can work with Bennett.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.