International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
deardent-1gp_2888.jpg

Seibold boosted by chairman's support and Dearden inclusion

Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Wednesday 22nd July, 2020

Anthony Seibold has been buoyed by the public support of Broncos chairman Karl Morris and has outlined why he is confident teenage half Tom Dearden is ready to take on the Storm.

After the club's annual general meeting on Tuesday, Morris said "Anthony Seibold is our coach and will be until the end of the season".

Those words gave Seibold clear air to turn around the dire form which has the Broncos 14th on the ladder.

Morris did add that Seibold's position, like every Broncos employee, would be reviewed at season's end. NRL.com understands that review will have a bearing on whether Seibold remains as coach in 2021.

Seibold said he was not daunted by the looming performance review.

"Performance reviews happen in clubland at the end of every single season. I have not been to a club where we don't have a review of not just the staff but the playing group and the holistic program, so that’s a given," he said.

"With regards to the support of Karl and [CEO] Paul [White], it is great to hear. Privately they have shared that support with me also.

"We are at the beginning of a pretty big job. We haven’t been good enough defensively so that is an area that we want to improve."

After the 48-0 loss to the Wests Tigers last week Seibold said he was "out of words" to describe the reasons for Brisbane's diabolical showing. That gloom has lifted.

"I have got good perspective on this. I am ready to get up and go every single day at the moment," Seibold said when asked how he was holding up personally.

"The challenge for me hasn't changed one bit from 18 months ago. I am trying to stay the course and play the long game.

"There is no doubt that some recent results have hurt us as a group and we have got to work hard to improve."

Seibold resisted calls to move Darius Boyd to fullback for Friday night's clash at Suncorp Stadium because he said his best position was in the centres alongside young players such as Herbie Farnworth.

Farnworth will start on the wing on Friday following the return of Kotoni Staggs from injury.

Dearden will start in the halves with Brodie Croft playing his usual role only with the No.6 on his back. Anthony Milford reverts to fullback.

"I wanted to get Tom Dearden into the team and I think Milly [Milford] did a pretty good job at the back end of last year playing fullback," Seibold said.

"It was important to get Tommy in to help Crofty in the halves and Milly has got a fantastic running game so hopefully we can free him up a bit.

"I think [Dearden] takes a bit of organisation off Crofty and allows Crofty to be freed up a bit which I feel is important."

Seibold said that Dearden had proven he could handle playing against the Storm after shining last year in a physical 15-8 win over the Roosters, one of the Broncos best wins of the season.

"I thought he was very good up against Cronk that particular night and showed defensive heart and grit," he said.

"Tommy did a fantastic job for us last year. I've been asked plenty of questions about when he was going to play but we wanted to make sure physically he was prepared."

Seibold hopes Staggs' return from a hamstring injury will bolster the attack.

NRL.com

Like myself I'd guess Seibold has watched a detailed replay of the match and again like me he took heart from seeing that we were better than the dreadful score showed. Isaako was terrible and Croft and Milford only marginally better. If the weather stays fine I believe we won't see Melbourne smash us. Sure they'll win but we'll get on the board and it will be an improved performance.

I haven’t joined the chorus of people slagging Seibold for personal reasons, but this does grind my gears:

“get Tommy in to help Crofty in the halves and Milly”.

What’s wrong with Tom, Brodie and Anthony? You’re not at the pub, these aren’t your mates.

Might be time to start worrying more about results and less about being mates with the blokes who are likely going to contribute significantly to your career disappearing right in front of your eyes.

We don't beat Melbourne at Suncorp even when we are having a great season, so all I want to see barring the Xmas in July miracle is an improved effort defensively and some bloody cohesion and talk in defence and attack.

I haven’t joined the chorus of people slagging Seibold for personal reasons, but this does grind my gears:

What’s wrong with Tom, Brodie and Anthony? You’re not at the pub, these aren’t your mates.

Might be time to start worrying more about results and less about being mates with the blokes who are likely going to contribute significantly to your career disappearing right in front of your eyes.

Brought in Croft to help Milf, bring in Dearden to help Croft to help Milf.

It's how you bond with players, you obviously haven't been to Harvard, Jahhwy.

"It was important to get Tommy in to help Crofty in the halves and Milly has got a fantastic running game so hopefully we can free him up a bit.

"I think [Dearden] takes a bit of organisation off Crofty and allows Crofty to be freed up a bit which I feel is important."
@BroncsFan 😂 😂 😂

Like myself I'd guess Seibold has watched a detailed replay of the match and again like me he took heart from seeing that we were better than the dreadful score showed. Isaako was terrible and Croft and Milford only marginally better. If the weather stays fine I believe we won't see Melbourne smash us. Sure they'll win but we'll get on the board and it will be an improved performance.

I've never agreed with these comments, and I think it's because the coach seems to have this line of thought to. It's like a long winded excuse really. It works when you lose by 2 in the dying minutes, not when you're contstantly flogged 40+ to zero.

When Pies spoke of being happy with the public support of Morris he then followed it up with "Privately they have shared that support with me also."

I don't think the media needs to know anything that is shared privately. They're a pack of hyenas as it is. I do wish he'd talk less and lead more.

We don't beat Melbourne at Suncorp even when we are having a great season, so all I want to see barring the Xmas in July miracle is an improved effort defensively and some bloody cohesion and talk in defence and attack.

Not me. I wanna see dough faced deer in the headlight eyes explaining 112-0 scoreline. Really, really can't wait for this match.

Not me. I wanna see dough faced deer in the headlight eyes explaining 112-0 scoreline. Really, really can't wait for this match.
I would take an nrl record defeat if it meant he got sacked the next day, but sadly I think the others are right. We could go 0-10 for the rest of the season and they'll still defer to an end of season review. Or at the very least, sack him with two games left and all hope lost.

Unread

Active Now

• MrRobot
  • Mustafur
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • Spike
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.