NEWS Seibold says some more stuff

Because he could, and therein lies a big problem with labelling someone as "the next Lockyer" which incidentally, I noticed has been done to Tesi Niu. I read somewhere he too has been called the next Lockyer 🙄
[automerge]1591838897[/automerge]

I have no doubt about that. Problem of course was Milford was signed for who he was at the time and that wasn't a game manager, which was bleeding obvious, or should have been after a season or two with him struggling to be who he wasn't

its funny because if they ever got it right they wouldn’t still be calling blokes the next Lockyer. They’d be saying the next Milford etc.

its funny because if they ever got it right they wouldn’t still be calling blokes the next Lockyer. They’d be saying the next Milford etc.

But not the next Boyd

Niu could be the next Milford if they try to turn him into the next Lockyer if Seibold becomes the next-post-Bennett Bennett who has become the next Ferguson but holding on to his career too long, ala Boyd who is the next post-Thaiday Thaiday. Unfortunately all of this is problematic because Brisbane has become the next-Parra, which is a trend in the new NRL which is the next WWE.

The Pearl delivering some home truths on NRL.com.

"I was glad to read Matt Lodge and Payne Haas say this week they don’t want the fact they are a young squad to be used as an excuse. My former centre partner Chris Johns also said last week the word "young" should be banned at the Broncos"

"Nikorima was the best of the two halves when he was let go last year and yet he was told he was not in the club’s long-term plans...I can’t believe the Broncos let him go when he was the best performing half on less money. "

"We had a good era, but we certainly weren’t perfect. One thing we did know was that when the going got tough someone put their hand up. I don’t see anyone doing that in this Broncos team at the moment."

"When I walked into the Broncos dressing room as a player I wasn’t Steve Renouf anymore I was "Steve Renouf … Bronco"."

**** those latter quotes are making me sad, the good ole Broncos of yesteryear, will we ever be the same again 😭😭😭

Maybe because Hunt signed for St. George and he needed someone to run the team as Nikorima wasn't going to do it.
Yeah I see how it was probably looked at like that but still Milford game changer A lot of the time to not so much anymore.

Ah yes, but something happened in 2015 .. I wonder what that was?

Answer ... Milford, and a stunning commitment to defence the like of which we haven't seen since. Why not still baffles me.
Hunt was involved in more attacking plays leading to tries than Milford in 2015. I went through every try a couple of years ago and did the stats. Milford gets remembered better because he didn’t **** up in the GF and he actually played well in the last game of the season.

Hunt was involved in more attacking plays leading to tries than Milford in 2015. I went through every try a couple of years ago and did the stats. Milford gets remembered better because he didn’t **** up in the GF and he actually played well in the last game of the season.
Thought you might appreciate this - in case you haven't already seen it - Matthew Elliott praising Macca's flat attack style, pretty much what everyone else here complained about:

It's a persuasive argument, but I'm still not sure I'm convinced. But I'm glad he's found a team where he fits. Maybe Milford would also be happier under another coach, here or elsewhere.

Sometimes I feel like I live on a different planet compared to these NRL pundits.

Well one things certain, I cannot name a single premiership winning coach that had to go to Harvard to achieve that, nor can I name a single case of Harvard improving someone’s coaching. The only thing Harvard has taught Seibold is to beat around the bush using fancy words and quotes to make excuses and to make it it look like he knows what he is doing.

We may have a shit performing football team, but when it comes to attending Harvard and useless coaching and leadership seminars, we are the premiership favourites

For me, they were both terrific and that was because they combined so well. We actually had a dynamic working halves unit who fed off each other's skills and energy. My own view is that Milford's presence was a catalyst for Hunt's great form in 2015. Since then, Hunt has been average without someone of Milford's (then) energy and style.

I am so hoping that Croft and Milf combine into a unit this year. That would be a killer combination.

For me, they were both terrific and that was because they combined so well. We actually had a dynamic working halves unit who fed off each other's skills and energy. My own view is that Milford's presence was a catalyst for Hunt's great form in 2015. Since then, Hunt has been average without someone of Milford's (then) energy and style.

I am so hoping that Croft and Milf combine into a unit this year. That would be a killer combination.
You obviously don't remember his 2014 (and potentially the backend of 2013) when he finally got the 7 jersey.

He was phenomenal.

In the video have a look how he attacks the line all the time, even when he's ball playing and passes it... and then compare that to 2016 onwards and see how he's doing everything about 5m away from the line.

Some will say that he lost it mentally after 2015, but I think that's BS... I recall a change to our gameplan from as early as the WCC in 2016 where we started using the middle forward as the pseudo halfback, because Des had that style working with James Graham... it basically became the fad and most teams are still doing it instead of the halves getting it straight from the ruck.

Last edited:
You obviously don't remember his 2014 (and potentially the backend of 2013) when he finally got the 7 jersey.

He was phenomenal.

In the video have a look how he attacks the line all the time, even when he's ball playing and passes it... and then compare that to 2016 onwards and see how he's doing everything about 5m away from the line.

Some will say that he lost it mentally after 2015, but I think that's BS... I recall a change to our gameplan from as early as the WCC in 2016 where we started using the middle forward as the pseudo halfback, because Des had that style working with James Graham... it basically became the fad and most teams are still doing it instead of the halves getting it straight from the ruck.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten. And agree 100% with your point about the game plan change. Maybe time to re-visit what really worked for us.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten. And agree 100% with your point about the game plan change. Maybe time to re-visit what really worked for us.
The thing with going back to it is Croft and Dearden like to run first... whereas Milf is still doing things 5m behind the line.

I think our gameplan is changing back to that style... based solely on the first 2 games and trials (when we actually had the ball in attacking areas)... because I could see Croft getting the ball from the ruck rather than a middle forward.

Hopefully we can keep in the contest tonight and put some play together!!

Last edited:

Seibold has the best memory known to man so he should already have this burnt into his conscious.

Seibold has the best memory known to man so he should already have this burnt into his conscious.

I must be naive but if I was a new coach, and the team was playing shit, I would be going back over the vids to find out what worked and focus on that. For example, the defence we had in 2015 is the same style Seibold employs - wait, not rush up - but without the line coordination, cover defence and and first rate tackling technique we had back then. I mean, this is not a proposition from Wittgenstein.

That part of Seibold's coaching bothers me. He seems to use what doesn't work when what does work is there right in front of him, unless he is too arrogant to take note.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • NSW stables
  • Dash
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Tristan1990
  • Ondi
  • azza.79
  • The Strapper
  • Financeguy
  • Howie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • mrtij
  • ozzball
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.