Shock tactic gives Bronco's season a jolt

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
SAM Thaiday says his volunteer service as a starting hooker has reinvigorated his season with the Broncos.

Thaiday said he was amused when even former clubmate Jarrod Wallace and his Titans teammates thought it was a smokescreen selection that he would play dummy-half after Andrew McCullough’s season ended with a knee injury.

Thaiday has started at hooker in the two subsequent matches, making it nine starts for him from 20 appearances this year.

He said he had suggested to coach Wayne Bennett that he start the game as dummy-half before Ben Hunt replaced him.

“It’s given me a chance to start. I’ve loved it,’’ he said.

“Now my job is to really own that position.

“Rugby league has for me always been about challenging myself. I’ve played back row for the club, front row and come off the bench.

“Definitely it works having four bigger forwards out there (from kick-off). It’s enjoyable to see Ben come out and do what he does best and run out of dummy-half, as he’s done.’’

Wallace told Thaiday after Brisbane’s 54-0 demolition of Gold Coast the Titans did not believe reports that Thaiday would start at dummy-half.

“(Wayne) was to-ing and fro-ing about a few different players and I said I wanted to do it. I knew throwing Ben Hunt in the deep end, defending in the middle was going to be a tough task for 80 minutes,” Thaiday said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/dabdae49071082c5198e4d67f985341a

Obi Wayne strikes again .

C4BJcX7.png

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • Griffo
  • Alec
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • broncsgoat
  • Thelmus
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.