Should Broncos start wrestling in tackles?

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
Storm, Roosters and the Raiders are masters at slowing down the ruck with their wrestling techniques during tackles. They've finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the ladder respectively and leaks the least amount of points statistically giving them the best defensive rating. 2 of em end up in the grand final. Seems like a no brainer for all NRL teams to emulate a wrestling technique in their tackles.

I know Bennett was never a fan of the wrestling technique but times have changed and teams left behind are the ones that whinge about teams that wrestles. Is it time for Broncos to start emulating what Canberra did and employ a full-time wrestling coach? The improvement in Canberra's defence this year is night and day and they only embraced the wrestling technique this season.

There's a certain pattern you have to follow: you play a loose, fast brand of footy for the first 10 or so rounds after the NRL have vowed in the off season to kick it out of the game, then you adjust to start wrestling when they stop giving a shit around mid season.

Melbourne pioneered it like 20 years ago.

NRL have vowed in the off season to kick it out of the game, then you adjust to start wrestling when they stop giving a shit around mid season.

During the finals refs swallow their whistles and you can slow the ruck right down. Same with Origin games. That's when the wrestle can be employed without consequence.

Last edited:
Yes. But first and foremost move up in defence and smash

Yep, no doubt that the broncos should work on their wrestling. Sad fact is that it is part of the game now, and to compete, it is a requirement. I would recruiting melbourne's wrestling coach, (and roosters cap management team).

Yep, no doubt that the broncos should work on their wrestling. Sad fact is that it is part of the game now, and to compete, it is a requirement. I would recruiting melbourne's wrestling coach, (and roosters cap management team).

All you need to recruit is cooper Cronk. He has all of those prerequisites plus he can teach our halves how to pass and kick

no the 2015 final proved what a great game this can be when 2 teams go at it and just tackle hard and run hard with no bullshit wrestling.

i know all us broncos fans would like to never think about it but there is a reason a lot of ppl call it one of the best nrl finals they have seen.

I despise wrestling in anyway in the nrl, it has no place and it will be one of the big reasons this game wont exist outside park football in another 30 years imo.

100% we should, neglecting that area has held us back defensively for the most part since Melbourne made it a thing. I hate the wrestle, but sadly we need to adjust with the times.

Let's focus on cutting out the arm grab bullshit attempt at tackling first. We don't get the opposition to the ground nearly enough to worry about wrestling.

Let's focus on cutting out the arm grab bullshit attempt at tackling first. We don't get the opposition to the ground nearly enough to worry about wrestling.

Getting them to the ground is part of wrestling. Our whole defence needs to be overhauled and bring back some intimidation. Move up in numbers, hit hard, lock up the ball and wrestle.

I can see next year being the year of 1 on 1 steals now that they're starting to work out tacklers can drop off.

Was it 2015 that we used the "concede field position but reduce fatigue" method? I honestly can't remember.

Was it 2015 that we used the "concede field position but reduce fatigue" method? I honestly can't remember.
Yep, but that was when we could defend our try line and back our attack to score longer distance tries.

We cant defend our line well anymore but still implement the field position concession strategy.

Although our forwards work our way back up field, we are usually let down by a bomb with no chasers which enables the opposition to get to their 30 metre line.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.