Should the Broncos pay Boyd $1 Million a Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproj

Sproj

International Captain
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This is another reason I don't want to offer Boyd $1 million (under the cap) because if he wants that, we have a ready made replacement in Kahu already here who would be cheaper anyway and then Allan coming through in the next 2-3 years.

This is another reason I don't want to offer Boyd $1 million (under the cap) because if he wants that, we have a ready made replacement in Kahu already here who would be cheaper anyway and then Allan coming through in the next 2-3 years.

I like Kahu as much as any Broncos fan, but Boyd is a far, far better player than Kahu.

I like Kahu as much as any Broncos fan, but Boyd is a far, far better player than Kahu.

I agree of course, there is absolutely no argument there. My point is more that given we have a more than handy back up, do we really need to spend a million on Boyd?

I agree of course, there is absolutely no argument there. My point is more that given we have a more than handy back up, do we really need to spend a million on Boyd?

I think so. Kahu will break again this year at some point, no doubt about it. While he's a good player, he's not an excellent player for mine. I would pay more if it were needed to keep Boyd.

That's debatable. While Boyd is better, I definitely would not characterise it as far, far better. But I've always rated Kahu higher than most...

Besides, given Boyd's age, Kahu's ability and Goal Kicking, I'd rather keep Kahu for around half a million, than Darius for a million per year.

That's debatable. While Boyd is better, I definitely would not characterise it as far, far better. But I've always rated Kahu higher than most...

Besides, given Boyd's age, Kahu's ability and Goal Kicking, I'd rather keep Kahu for around half a million, than Darius for a million per year.

Yes, but your bias towards Kahu is bordering on unhealthy.

If Allan becomes as good as people say he will be then we won't need Kahu because we will have someone better to put there when Boyd retires. And less injury prone.

Kahu has lost one of his best assets in his kick return. Now he walks and never beats the first defender. He's a winger, just like Josh Hoffman.

Yeah, sure... let's go with that. :yawn:

Well when you say silly things like keep him for half a million and not pay Boyd a million, seemingly ok with Kahu being our fulltime FB, it's hard to take you seriously.

Typical nothing article really around contract time. Players always consider every offer before making a final decision.

he does pretty much dismiss the "go home" rumour about going to the Warriors though since Auckland is quite a distance from where is family is in Wellington

Not far compared to Brisbane!

lol Kahu always misses a chunk of games every year because he's made of glass, durability comes into the equation if we're talking about better value for money, and boyd wins that one hands down.

Kahu is a handy backup, but he isn't better than Boyd.

I can't see Kahu leaving, but if he really wants to play fullback he will need to move to a new club. He will stay on the wing for our club even when Boyd retires.

Well when you say silly things like keep him for half a million and not pay Boyd a million, seemingly ok with Kahu being our fulltime FB, it's hard to take you seriously.
That's ok, it's not like I take yours seriously either, especially when not so long ago, you said Kahu was a Qcup player at best...

I stand by my comment and opinion, I would be totally ok for Kahu to be our fullback if it saves us half a mill a season to put towards other players.
He certainly did a great job at the position when Boyd was injured, and he has only become a better player since. (Except he apparently doesn't run for his kick returns now, which only makes him a winger... :porthozthinksthisishot:)

So basically what you are saying is that Boyd isn't worth a mill? If the current best fullback in the world isn't worth a mill, then who exactly is?

I see your point, but I feel that what we are lacking at the moment is leadership. No Parker, no Hodges, Thaiday in his last season or 2 and not much more leadership following. Hunt is lacking and leaving and I don't know that Milf is that type of personality.....maybe McCullough, Glenn or Blair....

Most other top sides have oodles of leadership (Cowboys, Storm etc), but I feel we are falling behind in that department, with no options that stand out should Boyd leave.

We need Boyd because he is the best fullback going around at the moment, but he is also the QLD and AUS fullback with a wealth of experience, has won 2 premierships and has a good amount of time left before he retires (I would prefer a 3 yr contract to 4 though). More importantly, I don't see anyone within the squad who stands out as a Lockyer/Hodges in terms of leadership. Time will tell whether Boyd is in the same class of leaders, but for now he seems like our only option within the current squad.

I can't see Kahu leaving even if he does want to play fullback. Given his age and injury issues you'd think he's at his peak in terms of ability.

I can't see a team coming in to poach him for major overs and if someone did Kahu need only look at Beale, Kemp and Hoffman to know the grass isn't greener and he isn't guaranteed a first team spot let alone fullback at the new team.

He also needs to look at Yow Yeh to see how the broncos treat a player forced into retirement from injury, which given his issues he should take into account. If he leaves to a new club he could quite easily end up on the scrap heap after one injury whereas broncos have shown continued faith in him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.