Should the Broncos pay Boyd $1 Million a Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically what you are saying is that Boyd isn't worth a mill? If the current best fullback in the world isn't worth a mill, then who exactly is?

No I don't think this is what is being said, well not exactly so. What is being said is that Boyd is not worth a million a season (under the cap) to US when we already have Kahu here and Allan coming through who are both more than capable and would be cheaper options for US. Boyd is probably worth a million a season but if we pay both him AND Milf that, we lose a lot of other talent to accommodate those two. If Boyd will only accept a million a season, as much as that is a big loss, let him go, we have another very good option in his position who would be considerably cheaper.

That said, Boyd is captain of the club and so should be able to source a number of TPAs, so he really shouldn't cost us that much under the cap. Plus, he has already said he wants to stay here so that means we can also afford to offer a little less than his market value. But if he wants the million, let him go because we can't afford two players on a million a season without knowing what the new cap will be.

Is that clearer? I'm not sure it is but I hope so.

So basically what you are saying is that Boyd isn't worth a mill? If the current best fullback in the world isn't worth a mill, then who exactly is?
Well, @Sproj pretty much answered your question already. I don't think Kahu is that far behind Boyd in terms of footy ability, that it would justify that difference in costs to the Broncos, and the potential loss of other talent that it would involve.

I do see and agree to the point some people have made in regards to leadership, which Boyd seems to have grown into, and definitely adds value.

So we tell Boyd to leave in the hope that Kahu's lower body has been replaced with stronger glass, and that another youngster with potential actually uses it?

We can't afford to take chances on every young player who looks good in a lower grade.

Kahu is a good player. He knows how to pass, score etc..

But to me, Boyd is a far better footballer. Kahu doesn't have the awareness, the vision, the smarts (well he hasn't shown it in his time at fullback in first grade), the organizing ability and leadership that Boyd has. Boyd is able to read the game so well and come up with the right option and he does it with absolute ease. His organizing at the back was a crucial part of our defence in 2015.

If giving Boyd 1 million and keeping him here meant we lost Kahu, I would be fine with that.

Allan can learn from the games best.

Well, @Sproj pretty much answered your question already. I don't think Kahu is that far behind Boyd in terms of footy ability, that it would justify that difference in costs to the Broncos, and the potential loss of other talent that it would involve.

I do see and agree to the point some people have made in regards to leadership, which Boyd seems to have grown into, and definitely adds value.

I would cut a lot more players before I cut Boyd unless signing Boyd to an absolute unrealistic price that is. 1 mill for an elite fullback in todays market is about right for that kind of player. (the salary cap is going up so it might only be 6-7% of the cap) He is a crucial part of our team and you have pay them the big bucks to stick around. Whilst Kahu might be seen as a decent backup to Boyd, the thing is, he hasn't got anywhere near the skills that Boyd has at the current time. One thing that has really stood out in the past 2 years has been Boyds maturity and leadership within the group. It can not be understated and a lot of the younger guys look up to him. If you didn't resign Boyd, your basically banking on Kahu stepping up to Boyds level and at his age now (kahus 26), he hasn't shown that he was more talented as Boyd at that time. Spending money on other positions is good but from what everyone has learnt about the Storm, you are pretty much unstoppable if you have a couple of exceptional players in key positions like 1,6, 7 and 9. Boyds a 1 so its one of the most important players in the squad like Milford. Teams can cut corners these days in the salary cap at some positions, but fullback is not one of them.

This doesn't need it's own thread as the answer is obvious.

This doesn't need it's own thread as the answer is obvious.

I think the thread title is misleading. This argument is not about who is better, is about money.

Spending money on other positions is good but from what everyone has learnt about the Storm, you are pretty much unstoppable if you have a couple of exceptional players in key positions like 1,6, 7 and 9

But this is another issue. You are talking about giving Milf Cronkesque money and Boyd Slateresque money. The problem is, Milf is not at Cronk's level by any means and while Boyd is obviously the premier fullback now, we don't have Smith directing everyone around. McCullough is not even close to Smith but then, no one is. The other thing is, the Storm still have a gun prop and centre plus star winger and an unbelievable rinse and repeat system that leaves every other club for dead.

Even JT couldn't do it until he got an international quality forward pack around him plus a gun number 9 and rep quality 6. BUT, they are probably the closest argument to the Broncs here and is there a difference between Coote and Kahu? Do we have a system that can produce guns around our 1 and 6?

Bottom line is, the Broncs have some very important and hard decisions coming up and it is all because the stupid NRL itself can't tell anyone what the salary cap will be for NEXT season. Idiots.

I think the thread title is misleading. This argument is not about who is better, is about money.
I don't think the thread title is an accident. It's much like sports media in Australia, a click bait to draw discussion, ridicule opinion, and push people into one of 2 extremes, much like what happened with the Taylor vs. Hunt discussion...

Kahu is a good player. He knows how to pass, score etc..

But to me, Boyd is a far better footballer. Kahu doesn't have the awareness, the vision, the smarts (well he hasn't shown it in his time at fullback in first grade), the organizing ability and leadership that Boyd has. Boyd is able to read the game so well and come up with the right option and he does it with absolute ease. His organizing at the back was a crucial part of our defence in 2015.

If giving Boyd 1 million and keeping him here meant we lost Kahu, I would be fine with that.

Allan can learn from the games best.

The one thing that Kahu has that is pretty irreplaceable is his goal kicking.

Not sure who could come in and do a similar or better job than him.

If the cap goes up to $10 million (which is all hypothetical), what would a squad price breakdown look like? Let's say 100k base contract.

18. 150k
19. 150k
20. 100k
21. 100k
22. 100k
23. 100k
24. 100k
25. 100k

Fill in the blanks

If the cap goes up to $10 million (which is all hypothetical), what would a squad price breakdown look like? Let's say 100k base contract.

1. Hodges. $10 mill.

18. 150k
19. 150k
20. 100k
21. 100k
22. 100k
23. 100k
24. 100k
25. 100k

Fill in the blanks

18. 150k
19. 150k
20. 100k
21. 100k
22. 100k
23. 100k
24. 100k
25. 100k

Fill in the blanks
That leaves u with $535,294 average wage for the rest of your 17.

Outside backs and bench players wouldnt be getting that much so lets say they average out at 350k each.

With whats left the remaining cash the spine and starting forawrds average out at 700k. Give the spine a little more and the forwards a little less.

Something like that i guess.

Man I love these old threads;)

Jesus ****....

I never replied in this thread back when it was posted and suddenly I'm reminded why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Mister Wright
  • Brocko
  • Sproj
  • broncotville
  • The Strapper
  • john1420
  • Bish
  • Wolfie
  • davidp
  • jarro65
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.