Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
???

What point were you trying to make here?

What If Ben Hunt doesn't improve? His kicking game will continue to hinder the Broncos.

What If we let Hunt go? Will his replacement require years of patience?

What if Ash Taylor wants to come back, with years of upside and Ben with only a few years left in his career? (obviously this means from '18 onwards)

What if we lock in Hunt for four years, and someone better becomes available (what if one of the halves that 'isn't as good as Hunt' becomes better and is available to us?)

It's a delicate time and issue.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Obviously.

So if you're going to make a stand, you've got to put forward a convincing alternative argument.

You clearly don't want Ben Hunt at Red Hill. So let's say you're in control, who do the Broncos sign to take his place? What young prospect is going to help guide this team around?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think Hunt does a better job steering the ship than what people give him credit for..

Look at us against the Storm in Round 26, 2015. We were lost, rudderless. We had no idea what to do and the Storm weren't even at their best. They were derping things up themselves. We were just worse.

Then look at us from that point on.. We were ruthless, clinical.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Obviously.

So if you're going to make a stand, you've got to put forward a convincing alternative argument.

You clearly don't want Ben Hunt at Red Hill. So let's say you're in control, who do the Broncos sign to take his place? What young prospect is going to help guide this team around?

My 'stand' is Hunt needs to improve THIS YEAR. As far as next year and beyond, we'll look at that at the end of the season. Fair? But obviously not if we go with a four year deal, and Hunt doesn't improve or live up to his potential, for mental reasons or otherwise.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
I think Hunt does a better job steering the ship than what people give him credit for..

Look at us against the Storm in Round 26, 2015. We were lost, rudderless. We had no idea what to do and the Storm weren't even at their best. They were derping things up themselves. We were just worse.

Then look at us from that point on.. We were ruthless, clinical.

He is more than capable. The actual question is can he rebound from '15? Was '16 an indication he did? That he can? That he will?

I don't know, but fucking hope so. The team harmony was obviously shit last year. They have mental issues to resolve and move forward from..something tells me Hunt might be vital to that process.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
That sounds perfectly reasonable @holdy89

The problem is that it doesn't sound realistic. This is a decision that has to be made early, otherwise the Broncos are going to find themselves empty handed heading into 2018.

The deadline has to be bumped up. What round do you think will give us an indication of his future playing ability?

Also to clarify, would you be happy if Hunt was to rediscover his 2015 form? Or does he have to become Cooper Cronk like in order to earn an extension?

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
That sounds perfectly reasonable @holdy89

The problem is that it doesn't sound realistic. This is a decision that has to be made early, otherwise the Broncos are going to find themselves empty handed heading into 2018.

The deadline has to be bumped up. What round do you think will give us an indication of his future playing ability?

Also to clarify, would you be happy if Hunt was to rediscover his 2015 form? Or does he have to become Cooper Cronk like in order to earn an extension?

I've answered that, mate. Hunt at his best is as good as Cronk, that is my contention. 2016 we did not see the best of Hunt. '15 we did. I want that back. If he can't be at his absolute best again, mental reasons or not, why do we keep him?

We should not give him until 2020, that is my opinion. I want him for this year, I know that much. As I said, it's a hard issue, because Hunt might go for the money, and we might miss out on his best years. Or, we might keep him, and he might not fix the shit in his game he needs to fix, and we will be exploited.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I just wanted to be absolutely sure because there seems to be a lot of arguing back and forth going on.

So okay you want the Ben Hunt of 2014-15, sweet I'm sure most on here would agree.

How many rounds are you willing to give him? Again, this isn't a decision the club and it's various stakeholders are going to hold off on until October.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
My 'stand' is Hunt needs to improve THIS YEAR. As far as next year and beyond, we'll look at that at the end of the season. Fair? But obviously not if we go with a four year deal, and Hunt doesn't improve or live up to his potential, for mental reasons or otherwise.
I didn't want to join in because it's much more fun watching others repeat all of the arguments that have been had 70,000 times already but I feel like you need the question to be asked in a way you'll understand

Brisbane Broncos + ???????? = Better option than Ben Hunt

It's simple, fill in the question marked area and we can move on.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I watched every game last year, and Hunt's kicking was disgusting. He had high try assists...okay, seven or eight more than Milford. Well done. How many times did Hunt's bullshit swing the game away from us? Is that a statistic I can look up?
Probably about the same amount of games Milford cost us by making 1000 errors in the match

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Probably about the same amount of games Milford cost us by making 1000 errors in the match

Sure. And by the time Milford has played as many games as Hunt, I EXPECT he will have improved. Milford also carried us for the first 7-8 rounds, lest we forget.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Even when Hunt had played as many games as Milf has, he wasn't dropping balls with no defense on him..

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
I didn't want to join in because it's much more fun watching others repeat all of the arguments that have been had 70,000 times already but I feel like you need the question to be asked in a way you'll understand

Brisbane Broncos + ???????? = Better option than Ben Hunt

It's simple, fill in the question marked area and we can move on.

No one. For 2017.

In 2020? Simple enough for you, Cult?

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Even when Hunt had played as many games as Milf has, he wasn't dropping balls with no defense on him..

Also wasn't winning games with amazing plays as often as Milf. Or putting up useless kick after useless kick on the fifth.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Can you bring anything to the table that hasn't already been brought? Something non-potential based maybe?

Can you?

Potential is name of the game, buddy. Why else did we buy Milf? I've simply stated MY position, a few of you have felt the need to repeat YOUR opinions over and over.

Hunt was not as good in '16 as he was in '15, yes or no? Will he be better this year? Is that question important to you as a fan?

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • PETERN
  • The Boss
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • maddo
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • westy316
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.