Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
Re: Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

Potential based on what? Do you have a machine that says how good someone will be if something happens? More bullshit claimed as fact from the Witch Hunt Brigade. If Shaun Johnson had a better five-eight beside him who was sharing the workload his stats would be lower too. Are you seriously going to tell me that based on those 2016 stats Shaun Johnson played well this year? Do you close your eyes during games and wait for the stat man to publish them online so everyone can hear your opinion 47 times on BHQ?

Sounds like you have just as much time to waste as Super Freak, only he puts his time and effort into something that is real instead of made up crap that has mostly been debunked and spoken about by people who have far better knowledge on the topic. This conversation is done until you find a stat that shows how many Ben Hunt grubbers hit legs. Maybe your stats can tell you what kind of kick would be best from the opposition 40 metre line as well.

No I don't think we should release Hunt. The perfect halfback isn't out there waiting for us. Hunt brings a lot of positives to the team. We just need to find ways to mitigate his weaknesses.

I see Milford practising his kicking all the time and he needs to step up during games. Macca needs to help out more as well.

As far as game management goes I think Parker should have been more assertive when games were on the line. He was the kind of captain that led from the front but hopefully Boyd will talk to his halves and make it clear what is needed.

I noticed toward the end of last season we were hiding Hunt in defence more (particularly on kick chases). Other teams target him to tire him out and that has an effect on his decision making. We need to counter that more.

Benji's signing could be a huge benefit for Hunt. Many people have said that having him around the club as a mentor will be good for our halves. I think we have enough coaches but if Benji succeeds in turning himself into a centre and is out there with them in the big moments and taking a few kicks then he will be invaluable. Big if I know but he's a world class player on a mission to end his career on a high so I wouldn't write him off.

We don't need better players. We need to play better. (Of course I still want Napa!)

What better options are there @Super Freak ?

There aren't any yet.

Kodi wouldn't offer us anything more than what Hunt does. He is quicker and probably a bit more elusive but that's about it.

Even in a few years time, there would be very few realistic options on the market.

If Taylor has reached his potential and shows he would be a better option and Hunt hasn't shown any improvement then I do think we should make a play for him.

At the moment, if I was Bennett, I would be doing what I could to bring a good halves coach to the club who's only job is to work with Hunt.

I think Hunt has more to offer than what he does now, but he needs some help. I think a good halves coach would be able to take him to another level.

We have Locky and Langer, but neither of them can really dedicate enough time to Hunt because they both have other commitments within the club and to be honest I don't think they are very good teachers. Great players, but not very good teachers.

Last edited:

Potential based on what? Do you have a machine that says how good someone will be if something happens? More bullshit claimed as fact from the Witch Hunt Brigade. If Shaun Johnson had a better five-eight beside him who was sharing the workload his stats would be lower too. Are you seriously going to tell me that based on those 2016 stats Shaun Johnson played well this year? Do you close your eyes during games and wait for the stat man to publish them online so everyone can hear your opinion 47 times on BHQ?

Sounds like you have just as much time to waste as Super Freak, only he puts his time and effort into something that is real instead of made up crap that has mostly been debunked and spoken about by people who have far better knowledge on the topic. This conversation is done until you find a stat that shows how many Ben Hunt grubbers hit legs. Maybe your stats can tell you what kind of kick would be best from the opposition 40 metre line as well.

How angry do you get whenever anyone questions Ben Hunt? Hahaha, anyone would think you're slipping him one on the side big fella.

Potential based on what?

Watching him

Do you have a machine that says how good someone will be if something happens?

Uh, what?

More bullshit claimed as fact from the Witch Hunt Brigade.

Who claimed what as fact? Was that directed at someone else?

If Shaun Johnson had a better five-eight beside him who was sharing the workload his stats would be lower too.

Do you have a machine that says how good someone will be if something happens?

Are you seriously going to tell me that based on those 2016 stats Shaun Johnson played well this year?

No, I never said that, please don't fabricate

Do you close your eyes during games and wait for the stat man to publish them online so everyone can hear your opinion 47 times on BHQ?

I only close my eyes when Hunt is about to kick a grubber, I know what's coming xD

Sounds like you have just as much time to waste as Super Freak

Based on me making a post with statistics that I acquired in less than 2 minutes? Dunnoaboutthatonemate

only he puts his time and effort into something that is real instead of made up crap that has mostly been debunked and spoken about by people who have far better knowledge on the topic.

Uh, what?

This conversation is done until you find a stat that shows how many Ben Hunt grubbers hit legs.

This conversation will never be done because you will never bite your tongue and have to reply to everyone who disrespects the god almighty Ben Hunt with the juicy booty

Maybe your stats can tell you what kind of kick would be best from the opposition 40 metre line as well.

Don't need stats for that one, the ideal kick from 40 metres out is usually a bomb, which Hunt is quite good at, I don't think anyone is questioning his ability to "bomb".

None of us have the slightest clue if WB is trying to offload Hunt. All of us know that if WB had a better option he would've taken it. Just ask Copley. We went within a c... hair of a GF win in '15 without an 'organising' half so I guess it isn't essential to have one. There are a lot of factors that go into winning a premiership. As I see it a major one is injuries or lack of them. Just look at the Cowboys towards the end of last season when they were missing WInterstein, Linnett & one or two others, none of which are their guns. Teams that make the GF always have a good run with injuries.Any of us that rely on teamwork in the workplace would know that things don't run as smoothly with a couple of new faces.To get rid of Hunt without a better option is something WB is way too smart for & is why he is coaching the team & we are on here being keyboard coaches.

Gerome Burns is said to be a good halfback prospect in the 20s.

Anyone seen him play and have an opinion on him?

There aren't any yet.

Kodi wouldn't offer us anything more than what Hunt does. He is quicker and probably a bit more elusive but that's about it.

Even in a few years time, there would be very few realistic options on the market.

If Taylor has reached his potential and shows he would be a better option and Hunt hasn't shown any improvement then I do think we should make a play for him.

At the moment, if I was Bennett, I would be doing what I could to bring a good halves coach to the club who's only job is to work with Hunt.

I think Hunt has more to offer than what he does now, but he needs some help. I think a good halves coach would be able to take him to another level.

We have Locky and Langer, but neither of them can really dedicate enough time to Hunt because they both have other commitments within the club and to be honest I don't think they are very good teachers. Great players, but not very good teachers.

Jason Demetriou is said to be the main reason that Michael Morgan had such a great 2015 in the halves, so he should be able to help Hunt and Milford improve together and as individuals.

Hunt 2016 ~ 26 games played - 7 tries, 21 try assists, 12 line-breaks, 15 line-break assists, 1,442 run metres.
Johnson 2016 ~ 24 games played - 10 tries, 18 try assists, 15 line-breaks, 24 line-break assists, 1,610 run metres.

Man Johnson has some crazy stats for someone who only plays 7 minutes a game xD Imagine if he had a better coach, better attacking system, better Five-Eighth & better Fullback alongside him.. He'd nearly be better than Ben Hunt!

It would also help if he played at better club than the Warriors.

latest

This GIF was made for this discussion.

It would also help if he played at better club than the Warriors.

Yeah you're not wrong mate, but be careful what you mention around here, it's fine for people to burst into tears about how under-utilised and unappreciated Hunt is, but if you mention someone from another club who's under similar, if not worse circumstances, watch out!

LOL U THINK JOHNSON IS GOOD? HUNT PLAYED 4 SEASONS OFF THE BENCH!! CLUBMAN!!

This discussion is boring as shit.

I'd definitely take Shaun Johnson though, in the right environment, he could easily become elite.

For someone who constantly denies people's points by arguing the intricacies of what you said instead of the actual point, you seem to enjoy terribly misquoting and over exaggerating people's points. We get it, it's all been said before. Even people on the pro-Hunt side have agreed he doesn't have the best kicking game, but we did that a year ago. We just don't think it's as bad as you guys make it seem and then when people call you out on your bullshit you go into mocking mode. You're the type of person who wins arguments by being a dick until the other person gives up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah you're not wrong mate, but be careful what you mention around here, it's fine for people to burst into tears about how under-utilised and unappreciated Hunt is, but if you mention someone from another club who's under similar, if not worse circumstances, watch out!

LOL U THINK JOHNSON IS GOOD? HUNT PLAYED 4 SEASONS OFF THE BENCH!! CLUBMAN!!

How is Johnson in similar circumstances? The biggest issue both of our halves have with this team is the lack of go forward from our forward pack. Please don't tell me you think the warriors have a poor forward pack.

It is no secret that I am a big fan of Hunt ... there is absolutely no way we should release Hunt without someone better to take his place.

Hunt's stats were inflated during 2013/14 given that he was carrying the burden of our attacking plays, now he has Milford who gets a fair share of the ball and takes some of the attacking responsibility

I actually think that the dropped ball in the GF rattled him more than we thought this year. he needs to get back to what he does best.

I maintain that Hunt does have the ability to be a decent kicker, we have seen that at different times, however, when there heaps of pressure put on him, he seems to resort to his default setting, which is bomb and pray.

rectifying Hunt's kicking game, is not as hard as it seems, but it requires the help of his team mates.

Firstly, we need to get Macca and Milf to kick more frequently. right now the opposition teams know that there is a 90% chance that Hunt will kick the ball, that allows them to get in his face and pile on the pressure.

secondly, it requires the pack to get him into good positions, with a quick play the ball on the last.

The other major gripe that some people have with Hunt is his game management. and that comes down to experience IMO. people need to remember as a top grade halfback he is relatively inexperienced. Yes I know he is 26 with 150 first grade games under his belt, but for 100 of those games he was playing an average of 15 minutes/game as a bench hooker. that doesn't exactly give you the ability to learn how to close out tight games. (and neither does the NYC for that matter)

FTR, Halfbacks better than hunt IMO are:

Thurston
Cronk

Halfbacks with POTENTIAL to be better than Hunt:

Johnson - He is just so damn inconsistent. he can be brilliant, there is no question, but most of that brilliance seems to come against lesser teams or once the Warriors (or Kiwis) have already lost the match.

Taylor - This kid will be a star one day as he has all the tools to be the best in the business, but he is a long way from that yet.

TL;DR: Hunt is good M'kay

Active Now

• marw
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.