Slamming Sam Thaiday in action!

Great player with a big personality but it's a massive shame he let it all become a bit slobbish towards the back end.

Great player in his day but got way too comfortable in the later years.

I just watched the 06 Bulldogs final and the GF and yep, Carroll was elite. As rated as he was, I actually think he was underrated. He could hit like three brick walls, could play anywhere on the field and ran like no big man should. Plus, that chin was a think mythical beauty. And speaking of chins of beauty, I forgot just how good Brent Tate was as well. He could be average every so often but 99% of the time, he was truly great every time.

Samuel is still in my top 3 favourite Broncos ever, as is Gorden Tallis. I love those big rampaging edge forwards, David Fifita might be #1 for me at this rate.

He had his good days, then turned to shit and became all whiny. Ended his time by saying he likes the Cowboys more than the Broncos. Broncos still employ him. **** him.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I really think his career from the time he was made Captain was never really at the same level again.

I'm not sure if that was coincidental, or just that his career slowed down as he got older and slower (he was never really in amazing shape) but I felt things started to go poorly when he was made Captain, then only continued to dip in form and consistency overall once that was removed from him again. It was almost as though the weight of leadership when he was in the job, then the loss of confidence once it was removed from him again just held him back from ever getting back to his absolute best. He was always a guy who seemed to thrive on confidence and when he had his tail up, and losing the Captaincy seemed to make that harder for him to thrive on.

Still a really, really good player in general, and a gun on his day though. He loved a big occasion, games like Origins, Finals, top of the table clashes etc. He had a game just before he retired where he just made life hell for JWH and the Rooster pack in general. That was the Sam we all knew and loved and that he was always capable of, but unfortunately probably didn't see regularly enough towards the back end of his career.

Still, he retired as one of the more decorated Forwards of his era and picked up more Rep jerseys and had more success in general than a lot of players that the Sydney/NSW media would probably rate higher.

Last edited:
Great to see he turned into a one club player; I do hope we can say the same for 80% of the current crop of guys we have.

That game was over 3 years before he retired.

This. It was towards the 'end stage' of his career though and I'm always surprised when I find out it wasn't his last year, because he didn't really have another good game after that. I think he had 1 after that against the Raiders, not too sure, but that game against the Roosters was something else. He really gave it to JWH and every game after that, I was hoping that version would show up but sadly it never did again.

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Wild Horse
  • Broncorob
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Horseheadsup
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • teampjta
  • Strop
  • Jedhead
  • Fozz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.