'Soft' Broncos can't win title: Sterlo

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
HALFBACK legend Peter Sterling has challenged Ben Hunt to stamp his mark on a Broncos side he believes is taking too many “soft” options to win the premiership.

In a candid assessment on the eve of the crucial Broncos-Roosters clash at Allianz Stadium, Sterling, a four-time premiership-winner, dismissed Brisbane’s title claims.

Sterling’s critique came as Broncos coach Wayne Bennett turned up the heat on his misfiring troops, demanding they find the attitude that swept Brisbane to last year’s grand final.

Brisbane’s title ambitions are teetering after six losses in eight games and they face the Roosters without star Maroons trio Matt Gillett, Sam Thaiday and Josh McGuire.

Bennett believes it is possible to win the premiership from outside the top four, but Sterling — one of the code’s most respected analysts — says Brisbane have lost their hard edge.

“I don’t think Brisbane can win the comp,” said Sterling, who won four premierships with the Eels between 1981-86.

“I’m one of those people who don’t believe you can win the title from outside the top four and I will only change my mind when it does happen.

“If the Broncos don’t finish top four, no, they can’t win it and even if they do, I still have grave doubts based on what I’ve seen.

“They would want to be a lot better over the next six weeks than they have been the previous six weeks.”

In his pomp, Sterling was one of rugby league’s finest halfback tacticians, making him perfectly qualified to forensically analyse Hunt’s playmaking slide this season.

A veteran of 18 Tests, 13 Origin matches and 227 top-grade games, Sterling questioned Hunt’s decision-making, but said he is also a victim of Brisbane’s forward struggles.

“Hunt’s kicking and decision-making is a bit off,” the Eels great said. “I don’t think the players around him are helping, but Ben Hunt is not in form either.

“I thought Brisbane looked for some soft options (in last week’s dismal loss to Penrith).

“They looked to make things happen rather than knuckling down. It was un-Brisbane-like and Hunt was part of that.

“As a playmaker, you have to be vocal and stamp your mark on a game. But you also have to look at what kind of platform is being set and you have to ask if Ben Hunt is getting help from his forwards.”

A loss to the Roosters would leave sixth-placed Brisbane in danger of missing the playoffs and Bennett implored his troops to find their desire.

“We have to get our attitude back,” he said.

“At the moment, we have a team that’s not where it should be. We can’t blame one player.

“It’s all about your attitude and desire.

“The issue for me is the standard we’re playing at. I’ve told the guys I’m not worried about the result, I want them to get back and play the way they can and how they should be playing.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
I've stuck by Ben Hunt all year but he needs a big game tonight.

Everyone knows he is a running halfback, yet he has rarely opted to run the ball all year.

His kicking game has been on/off all season which has to change if we want to win the 2016 Premiership.

If Ben Hunt doesn't become another Cooper Cronk or Johnathan Thurston by the end of the season, no one will ever be happy with him.

It may not look like it, but he is actually improving as a player.

He is just down on confidence.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd like to see Benny do is: Run the ball and polish his kicking game.

Running he ball is fairly ineffective when your forwards aren't getting you past the half way mark most sets or tiring out the opposition forward pack.

But yes, Hunt made a stupid decision on a drop out so it is all his fault.

Last edited:
Those soft options killed us last week. C'mon boys let's get on the grind tonight

Running he ball is fairly ineffective when your forwards aren't getting you past the half way mark most sets or tiring out the opposition forward pack.

But yes, Hunt made a stupid decision on a drop out so it is all his fault.
Agreed.

I was actually hoping Sterlo might point out that our forwards have been largely ineffective lately, which in turn puts more pressure on the halves.

Sterlo is right, Hunt and Milford need to step it up.... but our forwards need to get them into better field position first.

That was a pin-point perfect kick last week that lead to a knock on by Waqa. Everything about that kick was quality, unfortunately the ref called it a "knock back" and here we are complaining about his kicking game. I think if that rightly gets called a knock-on Benny goes on to win man of the match.

Ben Hunt puts up that kick, it's a shit kick.

Ash Taylor puts up the same kick, everyone creams their pants.

Last edited:
Yep. It landed 1m from the tryline with the catcher under pressure to force the error. Not much more the kick could have done. The follow up defence is a different matter.

HALFBACK legend Peter Sterling has challenged Ben Hunt to stamp his mark on a Broncos side he believes is taking too many “soft” options to win the premiership.

In a candid assessment on the eve of the crucial Broncos-Roosters clash at Allianz Stadium, Sterling, a four-time premiership-winner, dismissed Brisbane’s title claims.

Sterling’s critique came as Broncos coach Wayne Bennett turned up the heat on his misfiring troops, demanding they find the attitude that swept Brisbane to last year’s grand final.

Brisbane’s title ambitions are teetering after six losses in eight games and they face the Roosters without star Maroons trio Matt Gillett, Sam Thaiday and Josh McGuire.

Bennett believes it is possible to win the premiership from outside the top four, but Sterling — one of the code’s most respected analysts — says Brisbane have lost their hard edge.

“I don’t think Brisbane can win the comp,” said Sterling, who won four premierships with the Eels between 1981-86.

“I’m one of those people who don’t believe you can win the title from outside the top four and I will only change my mind when it does happen.

“If the Broncos don’t finish top four, no, they can’t win it and even if they do, I still have grave doubts based on what I’ve seen.

“They would want to be a lot better over the next six weeks than they have been the previous six weeks.”

In his pomp, Sterling was one of rugby league’s finest halfback tacticians, making him perfectly qualified to forensically analyse Hunt’s playmaking slide this season.

A veteran of 18 Tests, 13 Origin matches and 227 top-grade games, Sterling questioned Hunt’s decision-making, but said he is also a victim of Brisbane’s forward struggles.

“Hunt’s kicking and decision-making is a bit off,” the Eels great said. “I don’t think the players around him are helping, but Ben Hunt is not in form either.

“I thought Brisbane looked for some soft options (in last week’s dismal loss to Penrith).

“They looked to make things happen rather than knuckling down. It was un-Brisbane-like and Hunt was part of that.

“As a playmaker, you have to be vocal and stamp your mark on a game. But you also have to look at what kind of platform is being set and you have to ask if Ben Hunt is getting help from his forwards.”

A loss to the Roosters would leave sixth-placed Brisbane in danger of missing the playoffs and Bennett implored his troops to find their desire.

“We have to get our attitude back,” he said.

“At the moment, we have a team that’s not where it should be. We can’t blame one player.

“It’s all about your attitude and desire.

“The issue for me is the standard we’re playing at. I’ve told the guys I’m not worried about the result, I want them to get back and play the way they can and how they should be playing.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

The Bulldogs back in 1995 won the premiership from 6th spot so I wonder if Sterlo did change his mind when that happened. I am one of those people like him that believe if you want a win a premiership you must make the top 4.

Notice how all the "expert" commentators only make calls like this once it's pretty obvious the team is in a dire situation.

This is so true. Monday morning quarterbacks everywhere.

I know sterlo is a qld and Broncos hater but he has a point

Sterlo always comes out with shit like this.

He had his say weeks ago about the debacle at Parramatta, but as usual had no answers on how they could fix things etc.

If Ben Hunt doesn't become another Cooper Cronk or Johnathan Thurston by the end of the season, no one will ever be happy with him.

It may not look like it, but he is actually improving as a player.

He is just down on confidence.

Yeah, right.

54% wins out of all the games he had played in the NRL

Yeah, right.

54% wins out of all the games he had played in the NRL

Yeah, the time for sucking up to this never was is done. He's been down on confidence for years now apparently.

Ben Hunt puts up that kick, it's a shit kick.

Ash Taylor puts up the same kick, everyone creams their pants.

The difference is. Ash Taylor does it 10 times a game. Ben Hunt does it once every 10 games.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.