South Africa V Australia test series

Smith once again is making me look like an idiot for doubting him for so long, and Marsh, well I didn't see that coming.

Went to bed thinking I'd wake up with Australia all out for 220 and South Africa nonefer. Pleasantly surprised, and happy to eat humble pie.

Bear in mind technique isn't the be all and end all. Some players have had magical, textbook techniques and been let down by their mindset (Mark Waugh to a degree). Whereas other more agricultural players have had real technical issues and been outstanding (Allan Border, Matt Hayden, even Steve Waugh's technique wasn't great).

If you've got technique problems AND temperament issues, then you're Phil Hughes...

You're totally right. Which is why I said 'all credit to him'. I think the greatest modern example of talent/mindset over technique is Ponting v Kallis. Both great batsmen, but Kallis had it all over Ponting for technical correctness. They both have similar records, but Ponting had a great eye and a determination to make runs. You can see towards the end of their careers that Ponting without the great technical ability struggled to score, whereas Kallis even with age was able to maintain an extremely high standard.

If Smith continues on his current path he'll probably be a very good cricketer for Australia, but when he hits his twilight and the eye and coordination goes, it will be an almighty crash.

Steyn's wicket taking celebrations are a bit much TBH.

Really, really good innings so far, well done Smith and Marsh. We need to back it up in the field though and absolutely decimate SA, if we can instill fear into the SA batsmen like we did to England in the first test then this series will be ours for the taking. Amla for a duck please...

Steyn's wicket taking celebrations are a bit much TBH.

Really, really good innings so far, well done Smith and Marsh. We need to back it up in the field though and absolutely decimate SA, if we can instill fear into the SA batsmen like we did to England in the first test then this series will be ours for the taking. Amla for a duck please...

I'm so glad it's not just me. They are way over the top and he just looks like a complete spaz

From what i saw last night South Africa's bowling was good and they produced chances but were unable to take them and Smith and Marsh took advantage and made them pay. They could've taken 4 wickets in the period I saw last night.

Well done to Shaun Marsh on his 100 let's hope Steve Smith can do the same.

Johnson and Harris would be looking forward to bowling on this deck. When I left just after lunch I thought 250 would've been a good score.

I'm so glad it's not just me. They are way over the top and he just looks like a complete spaz

Yeah, came on just to say that. I can't stand how the cum gargler goes full retard, he looks like he's 1 more pull from throwing his whipper snipper over the fence.

At least he's not as bad as Brett Lee doing the chainsaw when India are 4-700 and he just got a batsman out who scored 200.

I'm probably going to regret saying this but I don't think Steyn is quite the bowler he used to be ... His pace seems to have dropped a fraction over the last year or so ... Still a great bowler though as his record indicates.

Steve Smith is on track to prove me (and the rest of his doubters) wrong and I couldn't be happier if and when he does ... while he still looks a bit out of left field at the crease he seems to be staying a lot more still as he's playing his shots he seems to do a lot les fidgeting than previously. Maybe that's just a comfort thing and he's starting to feel like he belongs at that level of the game.

One thing Smith has done is improved his technique a great deal. Still far from perfect but it is better. I've spent most of the summer blowing up about Marsh. Bloody clown comes out and bats like he did last night. Always had it in him and has a quality technique but his body and mind let him down all to often.

Philander has proven on a flat track he gets pummeled and Steyn is coming back from injury so see how he goes as the series goes on I think.

Yeah, came on just to say that. I can't stand how the cum gargler goes full retard, he looks like he's 1 more pull from throwing his whipper snipper over the fence.

bahahaha exactly

Smith has really come on leaps and bounds after getting a nice solid run in the team, this is his 13th consecutive test. Can't help but feel if Phillip Hughes was given a similar sort of backing that he'd make similar improvements. As good as Marsh was last night he still doesn't deserve to be there and I don't see his stay being a long term one.

Will be interesting to see who makes way for Watson (if anyone).

Smith has really come on leaps and bounds after getting a nice solid run in the team, this is his 13th consecutive test. Can't help but feel if Phillip Hughes was given a similar sort of backing that he'd make similar improvements. As good as Marsh was last night he still doesn't deserve to be there and I don't see his stay being a long term one.

Will be interesting to see who makes way for Watson (if anyone).

if he can't bowl he really doesn't have a place in the side ... might have to whore himself out in the IPL ...

on a side note, is every girl in South Africa a dime piece or just the ones that turn up to the cricket ?

Active Now

• theshed
  • Mr Fourex
  • bb_gun
  • sooticus
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncsgoat
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • mitch222
  • Broncosgirl
  • davidp
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.