The Courier-Mail
September 20, 2019 2:09pm

Last edited by a moderator:
Broncos wages confirm
the club is too top heavy with talent

Robert Craddock,
The Courier-Mail
September 20, 2019 2:09pm

The statistics have confirmed what Broncos fans already sensed was true – Brisbane had become an upside down football club. The club was battling a form of rugby league vertigo where the players highest up the pay scale were wobbling, and the ones lower down the food chain were keeping the show on the road. Now Brisbane enters the marketplace chasing a new playmaker to learn exactly what the rest of the rugby league world thinks of them. Are the Broncos still a club which players want to run to? Is Anthony Seibold a coach with pulling power? Can a new playmaker be comfortable with being the face of the club’s revival? What if there is no revival?

Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford are two of the highest paid players at the Broncos. Picture: Darren England

Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford are two of the highest paid players at the Broncos. Picture: Darren England

Many questions are hanging in the air. The answers will be laid bare over the next month. The statistics, as revealed by Peter Badel in Friday’s The Courier-Mail, show the senior players – the ones with the pay cheques ranging from $500,000 to $1 million – were the ones off the boil and a group of youngsters on much smaller wages like Jake Turpin, Payne Haas and David Fifita were carrying the club. Suddenly the Broncos’ future has become a complicated game of chess where the club must realign itself to the market. But here’s the challenge. Upgrading a future star like Haas is easy. Downgrading or overseeing the exit of a senior player like Darius Boyd can be a managerial nightmare.

Payne Haas is possibly Brisbane’s most valuable asset. Picture: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne

Payne Haas is possibly Brisbane’s most valuable asset. Picture: AAP Image/Brendon Thorne

Long-term contracts like Boyd’s are generally signed when the players are riding high in the saddle and looking as if they could play forever. The dark storm clouds of fading speed an ageing reflexes are too far off in the distance to be given as much consideration as they should. Seibold may well decide the club’s fate next season even before the team assembles for pre-season training. This is a rare season where the coach’s accounting skills could mean as much as his coaching ability.

Tom Dearden is good, but he can’t handle the load alone. Picture: Liam Kidston.

Tom Dearden is good, but he can’t handle the load alone. Picture: Liam Kidston.

If Brisbane cannot offload Jack Bird and find a decent playmaker, and are left with their halves pairing of Tom Dearden and a yet to be identified partner, they cannot win the 2020 title. Even Dearden, as promising as he is, must be looking at the scenario and feeling a bit like the deck hand asked to bail out the Titanic. He is just 18 and played five games, yet suddenly he has to learn and lead at the same time.

It’s a huge ask.The search for a halfback is an interesting affair. It has been written many times but it’s true – Brisbane have never been truly able to find a replacement for Allan Langer, who retired way back in 2002. And the unofficial factory called backyard football which produced the likes of Langer and Walters is not what it was. Recently I encountered a coach of an AFL academy who said “the skills of kids are not what they were because an obsession with games on phones has taken the place of backyard games of football’’.

Rugby league scouts tell similar stories. The game was like touch typing for Langer and the Walters family, just as it is for the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans and Luke Keary. Instinct told them which keys to hit because they had the muscle memory of hitting all those keys thousands of times or more in the backyard. It’s tough to find those sorts of players today. Which is why the Broncos have some serious spending to do to land a big fish in the off-season.

"If Brisbane cannot offload Jack Bird and find a decent playmaker, and are left with their halves pairing of Tom Dearden and a yet to be identified partner ... "

What baffles me is that Bird played his best football as a 6 for the Sharks. He is a natural and all class as a play maker. But, we didn't sign him to play 6. We signed him to manufacture him into another position, as much as the Broncos have a bad habit of trying to manufacture players into positions to which they are not suited, to deal with their shitty recruitment practices.

So now, we want to offload a truly class 6 to afford a playmaker. How fucking stupid

Last edited:
"If Brisbane cannot offload Jack Bird and find a decent playmaker, and are left with their halves pairing of Tom Dearden and a yet to be identified partner ... "

What baffles me is that Bird played his best football as a 6 for the Sharks. He is a natural and all class as a play maker. But, we didn't sign him to play 6. We signed him to manufacture him into another position, as much as the Broncos have a bad habit of trying to manufacture players into positions to which they are not suited, to deal with their shitty recruitment practices.

So now, we want to offload a truly class 6 to afford a playmaker. How fucking stupid
I was always under the impression that he was a centre and that's where he played his best footy for both club and state.

I was always under the impression that he was a centre and that's where he played his best footy for both club and state.

Centres can only be as good as their halves allow them to be. The broncos need to focus all their energy on finding a proper halfback and the rest will sort itself out imo.

Check out his highlights on You Tube. For mine his best was as a 5/8

I think I wrote the same thing last year. Bird is capable as a halfback, five eighth, centre winger and fullback. He could play lock too. That said and I'm a fan of his as well but the reported 900k next year is too much. If the Dogs, StMerge or others are wiling to go halves then moving him on isn't wrong. My mate told me months ago Bird's had an offer to return to Sydney and wouldn't be here in 2020 and I can believe it.

I think I wrote the same thing last year. Bird is capable as a halfback, five eighth, centre winger and fullback. He could play lock too. That said and I'm a fan of his as well but the reported 900k next year is too much. If the Dogs, StMerge or others are wiling to go halves then moving him on isn't wrong. My mate told me months ago Bird's had an offer to return to Sydney and wouldn't be here in 2020 and I can believe it.

How much is too much for a top class player? Anyway, for mine, the issue is more he doesn't seem to want to be here which means he has to go, otherwise he is worth every cent

How much is too much for a top class player? Anyway, for mine, the issue is more he doesn't seem to want to be here which means he has to go, otherwise he is worth every cent
Oh, I don't know. From what his manager said he's happy to be here but we really can't be sure about much. Even if we were having a lrivate conversation with Bird and he told us he was keen to stay we wouldn't be absolutely certain it was true so second or third hand reports don't increase our certainty about anything. I like him and half hope he stays but the 900k bit just seems too much. 350-450 seems reasonable in todays market.

I actually think his best position would be right second row given his physicality in defence.

He'd be a cross of Wade Graham and Luke Lewis for mine

What we need is an organisational half, not a running five-eighth. In an ideal world we'd be able to keep Bird and find a spot for him in a key position like five-eighth or fullback that utilises his skillset. He just isn't what we need right now. We need that cash more.

I actually think his best position would be right second row given his physicality in defence.

He'd be a cross of Wade Graham and Luke Lewis for mine

I just wish he'd want to stay and play, preferably at FB which would see Milford, return to 5/8.

1. Bird
6. Milford
7. Croft
9. Turps

14. Segeyaro

Bird is a class centre and average everything else.If he becomes a good 5/8 it won't be until later in his career. Moving him on is the best move. Gillett, Macca, Boyd also need to be moved as they are more value away from the team than in it. Whatever cash we can get in return go to fullback, halfback and cheapies.

I just wish he'd want to stay and play, preferably at FB which would see Milford, return to 5/8.

1. Bird
6. Milford
7. Croft
9. Turps

14. Segeyaro
I'm still not sold on Bird's ball playing or his kick defusing as a fullback. I think if he stays his best position for us is at 6 playing on the right... gives us a right edge of Gillett, Bird, Staggs & Isaako.

Would mean we probably play Milf at 1 and the pressure on his kicking isn't relieved as Bird isn't a natural kicker (outside of short kicks on the right edge) and Dearden I haven't seen enough of.

The upside is Bird and Turpin helps Milf in the attacking department.

I think our biggest issue at the moment is Milf is our entire attack. He's our 6, 7 & 1, but with Turps at 9 and Bird in the spine somewhere at least we can attack through a few more options

Are people just forgetting Wayne put him in the halfs and it failed. He is not a natural half at all. He is a runner of the ball and thats not what we need, unless he goes to fullback or stays in the centre.

I rate the guy, but he is not our solution in the halfs. If he stays or ends up else where it really doesn't matter because he is class or we spend his money on somebody with class.

The thing is nothing is a sure thing. Unless it's somebody with plenty of runs on the board and proven time and time again. That will be very hard to land.

For me Sezer would be the option for a 7 and i would put Milf back to 6. Then its the 1 that needs fixing. Bird could be worth the punt. Otherwise there has to be somebody that you dont break the bank on but could do a job. I thought that young Melb fullback seemed good against the Knights. Big body, strong carries and had a pass on him. Not the fastest guy but if you could get him at a price it could be a good buy. He is behind papa there so could be doable.

I don't think one big money player is going to put this team right. We need a few classy players in the spine, not one.

I think Bird might be OK in the halves if Milford really wanted to be a proper fullback and worked hard at it over the off-season. If he started playing the way we all hoped he would at fullback. Then if we also signed Croft, it might even work pretty well. Bird's a limited ball player, but a strong runner, and having Milf running outside him to finish off tries could be pretty good.

Give Dearden some time in QLD Cup to grow into his body more to avoid injuries and grow as a player, then get him back into the side once Bird moves on.

1. Bird
6. Milford
7. Croft
9. Turps

14. Segeyaro

I'd keep Milford at the back, but allow him to play fullback ... not some hybrid half/five-eight/fullback concoction ... he would need to work hard in the pre-season to get ready.

IMO, Bird is better able to handle the defense in the front line

I'd keep Milford at the back, but allow him to play fullback ... not some hybrid half/five-eight/fullback concoction ... he would need to work hard in the pre-season to get ready.

IMO, Bird is better able to handle the defense in the front line

I take your point however, I find it hard to agree with carrying what is effectively, a defensive passenger. We already carry Isaako and a lame right edge which that needs looking at ASAP.
Can't Milford toughen up and say defend in a similar position to Cronk and other halves, out wider?

For mine we need a really strong running, strong in every sense of the word, FB which is what Bird is (and Milford sin't (and Isaako never will be). I watch Tedesco e.g. and think, what a weapon. We ought to be looking at the same.

this situation is all our own making...which makes it even worse pill to swallow...right now we can't have our cake and eat it too....if we want a half back then it will cost us another player, or another position....because that's the reality of our cap...

We have to try and do the best we can given the limitations.....we don't have the NRL equivalent of a blank cheque right now, compromises need to be made...

Active Now

• mitch222
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Manofoneway
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • porouian
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.