Suncorp Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Right well i've just got back from the SFS and i must give credit too the Roosters fans and the SBBS of course.

Suncorp could learn a thing or two from the supporters at the game tonight, they constantly cheered, chanted, jeered, etc throughout the whole match.

I know it's the an age old question but why is the atmosphere at Suncorp for NRL games so dour?

Cause it's the best stadium in the world

kimlo said:

Gee thank you for your invaluable contribution to this thread, you have really opened my eyes.

kimlo said:

Pick up a dictionary mate. He's asking why it's so bad at Suncorp.

I don't know, no one seems to get into it, and I get some weird looks when I yell, and scream at the games. I think there's more atmosphere out at Redcliffe.

Depends where your sitting I think.The stadium being so large and a large bracket of differant age groups also in differant areas can make a differance. [icon_shru
Sat in the outer and its been dead as.Sat in the Eastern and in differant sections at differant games and each time the noise and involment from the crowd has been differant.
Don't understand people who talk about getting bad looks from other fans eusa_think I personally when involved and screaming at the game wouldnt notice what those around me were looking at.

Well done to the Sydney based fans last night as their noise certainly generated through the tele. [eusa_clap.gi

It's becoz the drinks are to expensive [icon_lol1.

rissi_gurl said:
It's becoz the drinks are to expensive [icon_lol1.

Hahaha...beer's like $5.70 now! And a bottle of Coke is now $4.10!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, maybe it does answer the question lol.

I also wonder everytime I go to the footy as to why the crowd's too quiet. I mean, it's pretty loud at the start and right after kick off, it's just DEAD quiet. And when you get too loud, people stare at you like you just kicked a puppy...or even get kicked out (like what happened to my friend cos he was "too" loud).

Although, I've been to Origin at Suncorp and the crowd was REALLY REALLY loud. But then, that's Origin!

5.70 and 4.10 is pretty cheap Kris compared to sydney prices!

Its about 6 bucks for a beer here and 4.50 for a coke. Not to mention the food price haha, i paid 8.80 for a pie and chips at the game on friday night which took me all of about 5 minutes to eat haha

You brissy folk are getting off lightly. I would agree though that the nsw crowds are more rowdy than those in qld! Pull your finger out ay

KrispyKris said:
I also wonder everytime I go to the footy as to why the crowd's too quiet. I mean, it's pretty loud at the start and right after kick off, it's just DEAD quiet. And when you get too loud, people stare at you like you just kicked a puppy...or even get kicked out (like what happened to my friend cos he was "too" loud).

That's just crazy!! It's a footy game - you are suppose to yell, clap, cheer etc!! [icon_ee I absolutely love away games, even though we are at the opposition home ground, our group make so much noise I find that I don't notice the other supporters :mrgreen:

I don't know what it is. I'll attempt to start a chant constantly, and only three or four people get into it.

Yet, whenever origin rolls around, suddenly everyone's right into it. [icon_shru

It's because we're staring at the girls in pink :shock:

It's because Broncos fans are too used to winning. Simple as that.

We're an astonishingly successful club. Six premierships in about 20 years is a phenomenal achievement. The fans know this and they expect to win every time. Therefore when we turn on a belter of a performance (like in rd 1) it comes as no surprise to the supporters. As a club we've never really struggled for form and been down the bottom of the ladder.

If you compare us to say Nth Qld... Their supporters went through years and years of poor form and lopsided results. Gradually in the last 4-6 years their form has improved and the fans have steadilly embraced it (as have the bandwaggoners) and it shows at the home games. They've experienced the bad times in supporting their team and now they are really enjoying the good times because they don't know how long it will last.

I think that's something the large majority of our supporters have never experienced. We've been so successful the fans have never known it any other way. Great wins are met with a shrug of the shoulders, it's nothing out of the ordinary. My bet is if we experienced a period like Nth Qld, Souths, Penrith) the fans would make a lot more noise. But until we do the atmosphere is going to continue to be mediocre and at times embarrassing.

Mind you that doesn't stop me from yelling out. I go to the football to make noise. If other people around you don't like it tell them to go and watch it at home.

Cos the Pentrith game was so damn boring...

Steve said:
It's because Broncos fans are too used to winning. Simple as that.

We're an astonishingly successful club. Six premierships in about 20 years is a phenomenal achievement. The fans know this and they expect to win every time. Therefore when we turn on a belter of a performance (like in rd 1) it comes as no surprise to the supporters. As a club we've never really struggled for form and been down the bottom of the ladder.

If you compare us to say Nth Qld... Their supporters went through years and years of poor form and lopsided results. Gradually in the last 4-6 years their form has improved and the fans have steadilly embraced it (as have the bandwaggoners) and it shows at the home games. They've experienced the bad times in supporting their team and now they are really enjoying the good times because they don't know how long it will last.

I think that's something the large majority of our supporters have never experienced. We've been so successful the fans have never known it any other way. Great wins are met with a shrug of the shoulders, it's nothing out of the ordinary. My bet is if we experienced a period like Nth Qld, Souths, Penrith) the fans would make a lot more noise. But until we do the atmosphere is going to continue to be mediocre and at times embarrassing.

Mind you that doesn't stop me from yelling out. I go to the football to make noise. If other people around you don't like it tell them to go and watch it at home.

I think ur 100% right here. Its the same reason origin is so much more vocal, because we dont go just expecting another win, we go wanting NSW's blood and if we are really fortunate, a win!

I think you're right Steve. And as much as it pains me to say it, there is STILL an aftermath of apathy to the Broncos as a result of their involvement in Super League. The money and bickering and court cases that went on quite simply alienated a lot of people who were once passionate about the Broncos.

I still remember my first game at ANZ Stadium in the early 90s and the atmosphere was actually really good. Compare it to what it was like in 1997 and then in 2001...you could hear a pin drop during most games.

And while a fair number of those alienated fans have come back now, their passion has undoubtedly been diminished.

And I think the only way that passion will come back will be when the chips have been down for a while, we're not making the finals easily or consistently and we're not showing up expecting a win. But at the same time, if you don't go to a game expecting you CAN win, then you're going to be just as downtrodden for most of it.

Hence why Souths fans for a long time were pretty silent too. They went expecting "here we go again". They only began to get into the game if they were still in the hunt with 20 to go.

Compare it with even last season they were much more vocal.

Expectation is a dangerous thing.

The Rock said:
I recall people mentioning that when were back at ANZ the atmosphere was great and everyone got into it - But why the change now?
ANZ Stadium attracted a different crowd. The tickets were a hell of a lot cheaper than Suncorp which meant a lot of rowdy students - the ones who lead the chants and mexican waves. I use to get in for $8. It also isn't as comfortable as Suncorp which I am sure kept certain people away. Lang Park use to be great on the hill because it attracted the riff-raff who were there for a good time.

The cheerleaders are also nothing but eye candy - maybe they could get the crowd into it by leading some cheers? I know they use to at ANZ. They should be up and going when the Broncos are defending or attacking inside the 22.

It isn't just Broncos games either, State of Origin is quiet and t(l)ame compared to before the refurb.

I think things started getting a bit quieter when they banned confetti throwing at Suncorp [icon_frown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Redux
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.