Super League Final

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
That is just disgraceful and possibly the lowest act I've seen on a Rugby field in either code. The first was bad enough but laying a blow when he was on the ground was crossing the line and he deserved to be sent off.

I don't really have an issue with the first one. Illegal and a sin binning sure, but as far as low acts go, I don't think the first punch comes even close to making the list.

The second one goes straight to the top though. Flower deserved everything he from that replay it looks to me like Hohaia asked to be smacked in the head. Not sure if there was a prior incident that wasn't shown in the video.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I don't really have an issue with the first one. Illegal and a sin binning sure, but as far as low acts go, I don't think the first punch comes even close to making the list.

The second one goes straight to the top though. Flower deserved everything he from that replay it looks to me like Hohaia asked to be smacked in the head. Not sure if there was a prior incident that wasn't shown in the video.

Yeah, who knows what happened or was said in the lead up to the first hit and sometimes players just snap. There's absolutely no excuse for the second shot though.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
From what I saw, Wigan had the ball close to the Saints line, Flower lost it and Hohaia charged into him to rub it into him which saw Flower react the way he did.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
From what I saw, Wigan had the ball close to the Saints line, Flower lost it and Hohaia charged into him to rub it into him which saw Flower react the way he did.

That's what I saw too, except there's a bit of a difference in rushing in to pat a player on the head like Ennis does and just charging at them with your shoulder after they make a mistake.

It's a horrible act from Flower and I wouldn't object to any length of suspension but I've zero sympathy for Hohaia. What strikes me as ironic though is that regardless of what the suspension will be, if it had happened in a grade game or something they'd probably have been banned for life.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I agree.

I'm not a fan of players provoking one another even at the best of times but there was no need for Hohaia to come in the way he did. That obviously doesn't give Flower the right to go ahead and put one on his chin but the referees need to be given some power there because he's obviously become a tactic - especially with the way Ennis was trying to rile up Souths that one time.

Still, I feel for Hohaia copping one on the ground. He didn't deserve that and Flower needs to at least sit out a season.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Imagine if this happened in our comp.. we were outraged when Poore thought he was a big tough guy picking up an unconscious Price by the collar.

The one guy that comes close to the type of flagrant rage Flower displayed would be LOD.. his spear on Boyd was atrocious.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I don't have that big of an issue with the first punch. It's the second punch that's a dog act. You never hit someone while they're on the ground..

Also, I think the NRL could use the yellow/red card system.

You get a warning, you get a yellow card. If you get another one, you're off.

Obviously the offense would have to be worthy of a card. It could be, if you get put on report, you get a yellow card. If you commit another offense, you get another and you're off.

Last edited:
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Also, I think the NRL could use the yellow/red card system.

You get a warning, you get a yellow card. If you get another one, you're off.

Yep, sends more of a message rather than the innocuous "on report" which seems like such a let off for some offences.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Imagine if this happened in our comp.. we were outraged when Poore thought he was a big tough guy picking up an unconscious Price by the collar.

The one guy that comes close to the type of flagrant rage Flower displayed would be LOD.. his spear on Boyd was atrocious.

Who was the Queenslander that did that to Kennedy even though he wasn't out cold

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Ben Ross.

Lost a lot of respect for Kennedy that night.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
He'll get a lengthy spell for sure.... terrible act.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Yeah, who knows what happened or was said in the lead up to the first hit and sometimes players just snap. There's absolutely no excuse for the second shot though.

Is Hohia a dirty player?

I can see someone levelling Josh Reynolds in a similar fashion.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Is Hohia a dirty player?

I can see someone levelling Josh Reynolds in a similar fashion.

Not sure. Always disliked the little prick though lol, no basis for why.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Apparently Ben Flower copped an elbow from Hohaia and that's why he reacted the way he did.

Still no need for that second punch, though.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
  • Porthoz
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • LGH
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ezpz
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.