Tautau Moga can be Broncos’ finals X-factor

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett believes Tautau Moga can be Brisbane’s finals X-factor after the hulking centre’s demolition of the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium.

Moga continued his stunning NRL renaissance on Friday night, tearing the defending premiers apart with a two-try haul that underlines the growing confidence in the 104kg brute rated a clone of Wallabies sensation Israel Folau.

Just 12 months ago, Moga was facing NRL retirement after struggling to play first grade at the Cowboys as he bravely attempted to fight his way back from three knee reconstructions.

But a lifeline from the Broncos has turned Moga into the bargain buy of the season, with the $80,000 cut-price recruit emerging as a dangerous attacking weapon on Brisbane’s left edge.

Moga produced a brace of classy in-and-away movements to slip through the Sharks defence for his two tries. He also finished with four tackle busts and 175 metres in a performance that demonstrates how lethal he can be in the playoffs.

“Of course it’s confidence. That’s what the Broncos can do for a player,” Bennett said of Moga.

“When I first saw him at training, I couldn’t understand why he hadn’t played more first grade.

“He’s had three knee reconstructions, it’s been a journey and I realised that if I left him in and out of the team, it wouldn’t be good.

“I was happy to get him to this point and he can be very good for us from here on in.”

Bennett admits he is disappointed to be losing Moga, who will join the Knights next season after Brisbane struggled to compete with their more lucrative offer.

“I never wanted to lose him,” he said.

“I keep telling you about the salary cap. There’s not one player in the team I wouldn’t want to keep, but everybody wants more, not less.”

With Moga in red hot form, the Broncos dealt a major blow to the Sharks’ premiership defence, but skipper Paul Gallen was adamant his side could win back-to-back titles.

“We were brave in the first half,” said Gallen, who was left to lament his 300th NRL game.

“This week we made it as low key as we could. It just hurts the performance, I’m happy to get 300 games but it’s all about the team and we didn’t play well tonight. We are all hurting with that performance.

“But we aren’t lacking drive or energy. At least we know what to do to fix it. The motivation to win it again is still there.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/c9e2533b3a9e728d6d903a310de8bcf3

I have to admit, I'm starting to warm to him and I can see him being a threat in the finals.

If he can just learn how to pass and how to avoid going over the sideline, I would be very happy with him.

He showed last week that he CAN pass. He has two big flaws in his game - his lack of passing and tendency to give away an error/penalty/both. That said, he brings a heck of a lot to the team at present and come finals time, he could be a massive asset for this side as his one-two power punch with Oates is very impressive and super hard to handle for oppositions already having nightmares trying to contain our right flank with KNik-Gillett-Roberts. Throw in Hunt running through the middle and Milf tarting to pop up everywhere, Moga helps makes us a very, very potent side.

As long as we don't shut up shop as we have a tendency to do when we think we have games in the bag, we are going to be super hard to handle come finals time and along with the Storm, the two teams no one wants to face.

Woot woot . Stand back kids .

Hate to say I told you so . But ... I TOLD YOU SO . lol .

Very happy to see him have success after so much time getting his knee put back together . Goes to show how much knee surgery techs have improved in recent times .

Woot woot . Stand back kids .

Hate to say I told you so . But ... I TOLD YOU SO . lol .

Very happy to see him have success after so much time getting his knee put back together . Goes to show how much knee surgery techs have improved in recent times .
Easy there bud, early days yet. Showing good signs and is a weapon..........when he isn't giving away silly penalties, stupid passes, going over the sideline, flying out of the line, getting flat footed in defence, poor hands.......

I get the hype about moga while he plays for us, but the media making out he'll be a big loss is waaaay over the top. He's a good player with the opposition standing off of him because Milford is creating doubt and space for him, and Oates is on his outside who can finish with an inch of space. Next year he will still have his size, but without the above luxuries (skd and Brock lamb? Good players but doesn't strike fear into the opposition) he will have to create the opportunities with a rushing defence on him, and unfortunately for him that's when he's at his worst (can't do a quick flick on eg Beale try, can't step). Also defensively he will be on his heels even more in defence next year (his worst assett) and dropped balls/penalties won't be covered with good defence by the team.

Ps: like I said, he's great for us. But poor career move, the knights don't seem to suit him at all. Although, brown could have some alterations up his sleeve to be fair

Who cares who thought he was good and who thought he was shit, let's just be thankful he's starting to produce the goods! (FTR I've been a fan since the opening game :p)

There's definitely still some question marks over his defence, but in attack, he is an ABSOLUTE FUCKING WEAPON. The beauty is, he's a threat from anywhere on the field. We'll really miss the metres he makes coming out of our own half next year - dare I say it, but he seems to be even more valuable than Oates in that regard.

It was a slow start to the season for the big fella, but what can you expect when he's had about a thousand knee injuries, and played hardly any first grade?

**** he's a big lad though. You can just imagine being an opposition centre and seeing this bloke run at you, you'd shit your kecks. That subtle in and away he's added into his game over the past few weeks is deadly.

How good is it having pure speed and agility on one side of the field in James Roberts, and sheer brute strength on the other side in Moga? Then we've got the darting runs of Hunt, Nikorima and Milford picking gaps through the centre as well.

FUCKING BLITZKRIEG BABY!

His in and away is about as good as it gets. Very impressive. I think his speed off the mark is alot better than it seems. I think that is what makes the in and away very dangerous.

Easy there bud, early days yet. Showing good signs and is a weapon..........when he isn't giving away silly penalties, stupid passes, going over the sideline, flying out of the line, getting flat footed in defence, poor hands.......

If he was as useless as some people make out . why aren`t the opposition targeting him and reaping the rewards .

Check my posts I`ve been on the Moga train since rnd 1 .

I am really going to miss Tautau. For all his flaws I just really like him. Respect the fight back from all the injuries and the enthusiasm he plays with. When it puts it all together he is basically unstoppable. Those two tries last night were just dominant.

Lets not get too carried away. He showed up a back rower playing out of position at center. I havent seen him do that kind of thing too much playing against a Will Chambers or Michael Jennings yet, and thats what he needs to do to take his game to the next level, he needs to stand up to the better centers.

No doubt if we can get him the ball in the right areas, he is an absolute monster in attack, but against the better sides he has been found out defensively, the Melbourne game being a great example of that. The up side of him is that he is only 23, and he can work on that. Some of his dumb decision making though for me is a concern and i worry if he hasnt worked some of it out now he never will.

I am really going to miss Tautau. For all his flaws I just really like him. Respect the fight back from all the injuries and the enthusiasm he plays with. When it puts it all together he is basically unstoppable. Those two tries last night were just dominant.

I think mentally he extremely tough. Coming back from three knee reconstrustions shows that, but what i like is even when he has had games when he has made plenty of mistakes he doesnt let it get him down. Some players collapse when that happens.

If he was as useless as some people make out . why aren`t the opposition targeting him and reaping the rewards .

Check my posts I`ve been on the Moga train since rnd 1 .

Upload 2017 8 12 17 24 13

I still think the club should be trying everything to keep him. Give them Blair for big money instead of Moga.

I still think the club should be trying everything to keep him. Give them Blair for big money instead of Moga.
Pretty sure that ship has sailed mate...he's signed isn't he? The Knights have enough cash for Blair as well it would seem.

Pretty sure that ship has sailed mate...he's signed isn't he? The Knights have enough cash for Blair as well it would seem.

We have other players capable of covering his loss. What they might lack in making meters they will make up in probably being more reliable. I do like Moga, but i think there is a lot of people getting carried away based on him owning a back rower at center.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.