Tesi Niu Discussion

I like that he can play multiple positions in the backline. Even more reason to move on Boyd, or leave him out of the 17, and give these young guys some exposure to first grade.. If we don't Coates, Farnworth, Niu, Perese, and Arthurs will likely end up elsewhere. I'd move Bird if we can too, as I think these guys offer adequate cover and we can reallocate the funds elsewhere

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/06/06/two-try-star-niu-praises-team-after-win/

He played centre in this game, and looked like he took on a halves role in the nines.

I'd say he can fill in anywhere from #1-6.

Not saying he'd be the most natural 6 but I'm sure he could play it.

He did ok i thought, but nothing more.
That’s simply not true. I see potential.

Tesi has potential and he happened to show it in the nines and international game a couple weeks after I mentioned it.

If you actually kept a real track record of things I’ve said.. A lot of them turn out to be true.. Maybe that’s why people get so mad?

I'm saying nothing.

He did ok i thought, but nothing more.

I'm saying nothing.
What more did you expect from an 18 year old playing his first international game without NRL experience @Wolfie? Who are you comparing him to?

A lot of people are talking up Dearden, who I also like for his age, but I haven't seen him do anything significantly better than Tesi.

You could argue that he is the best fullback we have in our squad right now. Which is more of a testament to the state of this once great club but it's the position we are in and have to make the best of it.

What more did you expect from an 18 year old playing his first international game without NRL experience @Wolfie? Who are you comparing him to?

A lot of people are talking up Dearden, who I also like for his age, but I haven't seen him do anything significantly better than Tesi.

You could argue that he is the best fullback we have in our squad right now. Which is more of a testament to the state of this once great club but it's the position we are in and have to make the best of it.

I didn't expect any more of him, wasnt comparing him to anyone, he was just OK. I dont know why people have a problem with him just doing a decent job. We dont have to hype him up by making him out to be better than he was. Was he Karmichael Hunt levels of good for an 18 year old, nowhere near, but i thought he did a reasonable job but didnt get put under any real pressure.

I dont think he is close to being our best fullback. I can only judge him on the 2019 performances i've seen, but Bird, Milf and Issako would be well in front of him ( and i'm not a great fan of Milf or Issako at FB ) If he can out perform them in pre season, he will have earned his spot.

I didn't expect any more of him, wasnt comparing him to anyone, he was just OK. I dont know why people have a problem with him just doing a decent job. We dont have to hype him up by making him out to be better than he was. Was he Karmichael Hunt levels of good for an 18 year old, nowhere near, but i thought he did a reasonable job but didnt get put under any real pressure.

I dont think he is close to being our best fullback. I can only judge him on the 2019 performances i've seen, but Bird, Milf and Issako would be well in front of him ( and i'm not a great fan of Milf or Issako at FB ) If he can out perform them in pre season, he will have earned his spot.
That's fair enough.

I can't ever remember seeing Bird play fullback so I can't say if he would be better or not. Milford didnt look much better this year and his positioning was left wanting. I also think that Milf at 6 would be better for the composition of our side. Comparing what I saw from Issako at fullback vs what I have seen of Tesi, I would say there isn't much difference. Issako has a size, height and experience advantage but in my opinion Tesi is a better ball player.

I'm not trying to say Tesi will be our savior or hype the kid up but I just believe he has gone under the radar when he has shown that he is talented and should be in the conversation for round 1.

I kinda like the idea of Bird at fullback if he can get his fitness up. He is just a great footy player, a great competitor and he loves getting involved and getting his hands on the ball. It would take a fair bit of work, but if he can get to grips with the position i think he could be very good there.

I kinda like the idea of Bird at fullback if he can get his fitness up. He is just a great footy player, a great competitor and he loves getting involved and getting his hands on the ball. It would take a fair bit of work, but if he can get to grips with the position i think he could be very good there.
I agree with you, he could make a good fullback but his fitness is a big concern and to a lesser extent, his speed.

Coming back from his injury, I think he would struggle with the position, but if he got his fitness levels up there I definitely think he has the necessary skills to nail it.

I like Bird at fullback too but after playing so little football in the last couple of years it’s a big ask to start next season there. For me, Isaako is probably just in front for first crack and if he doesn’t work out then Bird can move back there and will be fitter by then. I watched Niu on the weekend and thought he did enough to deserve a top 30 spot and to be in the conversation but realistically he probably won’t be fullback for round 1.

Interesting question, who was the last fullback to come back from a busted knee and how did they return?

Tedesco has had his knee issues
Yeah surgeries and rehab have improved a lot. The residual impacts are usually not as big as they were in the past (i.e locky losing a lot of his speed and agility).

Would be interested to know if any clubs use stem cell treatment at all

Doueihi ruptured his ACL last year and was a revelation for Souths at fullback.

Gutherson tore his ACL late in 2017 and took a season to recover from it.

GI was already towards the end of his career when he tore his ACL in Round 1 of 2017 and really never got back to his best afterwards.

Even so, we are talking about putting a guy coming back from a knee reco into a position he isn't used to playing with heaps of steps, jinks, etc. I feel like it might be a recipe for disaster.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Thelmus
  • DrGee
  • broncs30
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.