NEWS The 15-minutes that sounded alarms: Four things learned from Broncos’ defeat

BHQArticleImageLarge74

Was this State of Origin fatigue, or simply a complete fade out?

Irrespective of the causality, this was a Broncos’ performance that had coach Kevin Walters pulling his hair out, who was left dumbfounded at how his side’s “worst half of football” occurred.

After a near error-free first half and some desperate goal line defence earned Brisbane an eight-point halftime lead, mistakes rapidly crept into their game as the Cronulla Sharks applied a mountain of pressure to prevail 22-12.

Only Reece Walsh (concussion) did not back up from Wednesday night’s Origin opener for the Broncos, but it was not the representative contingent that cruelled their hopes at Suncorp Stadium.

The hosts had just one incomplete set in the opening stanza. By the final siren, they had completed 26 of 34 chances - many of those mistakes coming within 20-minutes - and looked a far cry from the side who charged to last year’s grand final.

Brisbane captain Pat Carrigan, stepping in for the still injured Adam Reynolds, was typically tireless after his Maroons’ heroics - finishing with 149 metres and 48 tackles

But around him his teammates crumbled coming out of the sheds, the usually reliable Tristan Sailor committing three of their 12 errors.

Sione Katoa, Brayden Trindall and Blayke Brailey all scored within 15-minutes on the back of dropped Brisbane ball.

“You can’t question Patty’s commitment, that’s who I feel sorry for - and Payne [Haas], his commitment tonight was really good and Selwyn [Cobbo] backed up as well,” Walters said.

“But the guys that didn’t play didn’t support the ones who did. I’m not sure what happened to be honest, but it was just really poor - probably our worst half of football.

“I’d say our first 40 was, discipline wise, our best half. I thought we defended well, our tryline defence was good, and we picked up a couple of tries, so I’m not sure where it comes from.”

Haas fought through 52-minutes after making 42 tackles for New South Wales, and was well restricted in running for 96 metres. His lowest output for the year before Saturday night was 136 metres in round one.

That shift from the Broncos’ marquee man was reflected in the Sharks dominance, who ran for almost 700 metres more as a collective.

Cronulla’s ability to attack through their defence also derailed any hopes the Broncos had of escaping their own end of the field, keeping them to just 32 metres a set.

In contrast, Brisbane could not contain the Sharks’ offloading game - the visitor’s 14, four from Sifa Talakai, marching them down field.

Staggs’ mixed bag in Blues audition

Early on it looked as though Kotoni Staggs was mounting a compelling case for a New South Wales call up.

A bulldozing run got the Broncos on the front foot, his quick play the ball allowing hooker Billy Walters to stride into the clear and offload for Carrigan to score.

But in a daunting battle with Sharks giant Talakai - who scored his side’s opening try - and rookie centre Kayal Iro, Staggs was worn down, and with 10-minutes remaining briefly left the field due to a knee concern. He fortunately returned shortly after.

Staggs would have been considered a strong chance of coming into Blues’ selection calculations, following the four-game suspension to Joseph Suaalii for his dangerous contact on Walsh.

But after the breathtaking efforts of Latrell Mitchell in South Sydney’s emphatic triumph of the Gold Coast Titans, needed a game-changing performance to thrust his name ahead of the Blues’ queue.

In his first game back from a fractured rib, Staggs’ effort could well be in vain - working overtime to finish with 96 metres and 28 tackles, while being ultimately well contained and outperformed by another contender in Sharks’ counterpart Jesse Ramien.

“I’d love to see him get a crack, but you have to respect the selection process - there are plenty of good candidates there - but he’s worked really hard,” Cronulla coach Craig Fitzgibbon said of Ramien.

“I’m sure if he got a crack they’d love playing alongside him.”

Staggs will get one final chance to press his claims, ironically against Mitchell’s Rabbitohs, next week before New South Wales coach Michael Maguire names is Game Two squad.

Where does this leave the Broncos?

Back-to-back losses, both at home, to open the Origin season will leave Broncos fans in a nervous wreck.

Last week’s capitulation against the Titans signalled alarmed bells that Walters’ men needed to rediscover the defensive resolve that earned their place in the 2023 decider.

Signs were promising in the first half, at one stage fending off four-straight sets on their own line to keep the Sharks at bay - conceding only once through a series of offloads and a trademark Talakai charge.

But it took just four minutes after the resumption for Katoa to stroll through, and while they missed fewer tackles than the Sharks (36 to 38), the timing and nature of their failings was alarming in that crucial 15-minute period after half-time.

Now sitting at sixth, but with the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs still able to leapfrog them and push them out of the top eight on Sunday, Walters will need to trigger a rapid turnaround.

Next week’s clash against the Rabbitohs - who have won consecutive games for the first time this season - will be followed by a much-needed bye to regroup, before they take on the Warriors and Panthers to close out the Origin period.

The absence of Broncos’ bench forward Xavier Willison, after his partner had a baby during the week, was noticeable given the impact he has been providing - Fletcher Baker, Jack Gosiewski and Kobe Hetherington combining for just 134 running metres to be overpowered by Royce Hunt and Tom Hazelton.

“I might have to look at what I’m saying to them first up, that’s obviously not making too much sense. Our first set in the second half was poor with the ball, and it just got worse from there,” Walters said.

“We’ll have to look at everything we’re doing, but I don’t have any answers for you right now. The good thing is how to solve it is sitting right in front of us.”

Has Cobbo done enough to push for a Queensland start?

Selwyn Cobbo was exceptional coming off the bench for the Maroons, orchestrating two tries while busting nine tackles in a colossal display.

It was not the script envisioned by Queensland coach Billy Slater, who had teased the young outside back would be used to cause chaos through the middle of the field.

While the Cherbourg product was kept quiet against the Sharks, running for just 75 metres (albeit with six tackle busts), a shoulder injury to Cowboys star Murray Taulagi could open the door for Cobbo’s comeback to the starting lineup.

Taulagi, who was emerged as a staple on Slater’s wing, did not play in North Queensland’s thumping defeat to the Warriors, and no set timeline for his return has been revealed.

While Cobbo has, in general, been outstanding in 2024, even if Taulagi is ruled out he may remain on the interchange given the week he has spent learning Slater’s intended plan for him.

Dane Gagai will have the opportunity to push for a recall when his Knights take on the Melbourne Storm on Sunday, should his Cowboys’ counterpart ultimately be ruled out.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I just didn't see our first half as good as KW I suppose.......

The signs were there in the first 10 mins of the game that we haven't shown up.
Given we made 120 tackles more than they did. If we didn’t show up they’d have put 50 on us. Played terribly with the ball in hand but defensively they showed up barring a few poor misses.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
We need to talk about Piaks. His defense has turned into a massive liability when coupled with Mam's regular missed tackle count as well. You can see teams targeting those two now.
Yes. Both have been ordinary although I thought mam was slightly improved in defence last night on his diabolical titans performance. Piakura has some of the dumbest misses I've seen from a backrower and they are starting to stack up.

To be completely honest I think Piakura is probably not an 80 minute player yet. I'd be keen to see him play 65 minutes and let gosiewski come on and play a bigger stint 35 minute stint. He didn't miss any tackles last night and defended well which has been our biggest problem this year.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
The warnings bells have been there since the Roosters game.

Parra beat us on stats, but we smashed them somehow.
We got lucky to beat manly, again they were dominate for most of the game.
Even the fucking Titans were rolling us.
Now the Sharks.

Teams are finding momentumn against us, and we don't know how to get it back or keep it. Shades of 2020.

Whatever our game plan has been to 'simplify' things and try and play mistake free footy has basically let to us being predicatable and still making mistakes anyway. We must have the worst and least utilized second phase play in the league. Other teams just make a mockery of us with it.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
We don't have enough tough players

You see teams full of nobodies in other sides hit the ball up and make metres against any team in the comp.

We couldn't get out of our own 40m

I'm looking at players like Mariner, Oates, Riki, Piakura and our bench rotation.

Payne, Patty and Jensen can only do so much

With Flegler, Herbie and Palasia, we didn't necessarily need them to be doing that hard leg work.

Now we do and they aren't up for it.

I have never seen Riki have an 'attack' game or take his opposing edge on. He might score a try or setup a line break on occasion, but mostly he'll make his 30+ tackles and make 8 or 9 runs for about 80-100m. He has a decently good kick chase, but that's about it. Maybe now the pretty boy has a blemish he might start running harder at defensive lines without that useless shimmy that does nothing.

Piakura is at the moment still a highlight player - can run an exceptional line but isn't going to make 15 runs a game rucking the ball up and his decision-defence is still terrible. He gets a bit more slack as he's still quite raw but he needs to be as well-rounded as other starting second-rowers by the end of the season, because he's on decent enough coin and walked into a starting spot without really earning it. He has to show that he deserves to keep it.

Mariner is pretty much the same, highlight player but with speed, but is too similar to Brisbane-era Coates/Isaako with bonehead errors and gets manhandled trying to hit the ball up. He's in the same boat as Piakura with needing to show he deserves to keep his spot after staying for his contract

Oates just isn't as effective anymore, has lost his speed and with that can't make up for his errors as easily.

Hetherington is for me, the disappointment so far. He just isn't giving much either side of the ball at the moment and, I think along with no Reynolds, is why Patty is getting played into the ground. Drops the ball at least once a game, which when you only play 30-odd minutes is enough to warrant less and less until you're asking to be dropped. Seems to have lost his defensive sting and is now arm-grabbing. He really needs to aim up otherwise he could find himself on the outer quickly, which would suck because I like Kobe and want him to be as good as he can be

Baker and Gos have already been talked about enough, but they aren't players that could outperform our starters either so we don't have that luxury to switch around like other teams seem to.

Unless we can unearth someone on a development deal or whatever it is that we can do still, we'll be running at least two of these 3 on our bench for the rest of the year along with Willison. Te Kura likely won't be back for anything meaningful unfortunately to at the least put pressure on them, but likely replace one.

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
The warnings bells have been there since the Roosters game.

Parra beat us on stats, but we smashed them somehow.
We got lucky to beat manly, again they were dominate for most of the game.
Even the fucking Titans were rolling us.
Now the Sharks.

Teams are finding momentumn against us, and we don't know how to get it back or keep it. Shades of 2020.

Whatever our game plan has been to 'simplify' things and try and play mistake free footy has basically let to us being predicatable and still making mistakes anyway. We must have the worst and least utilized second phase play in the league. Other teams just make a mockery of us with it.
Eels game they gifted us two try's and we bombed 3.

Unread

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.