The Backrow Conundrum

If Lowrie is our best back rower, we are in real friggin trouble.

I really don't think he's anywhere close though.

Totally agree....

Lowrie is just filling in for someone better. Honest toiler who will give you his best, but it's really not good enough to be anything significant.

More of a depth player than anything else......

Glenn is a great metre eater down the fringes and can create momentum, Gillett is one of the most lethal backrows in the competition and is a star of the team while Thaiday has wound back the clock and is a source of inspiration for the team.

I don't disagree, BP. I just wish Gillett and Glenn could tackle a bit better is all. Attack isn't the problem but defense could use a little work. All those things may get us to the big one but defense wins premierships. Remember 2006? It wasn't our attacking flair that won us the game - it was defense.

I just wish Gillett and Glenn could tackle a bit better is all.

That's fine and I believe every player in the team can improve in some aspect but you caught me really off-guard with the Lowrie point.

It'd be like if I said Josh Hoffman is our best half because I want Hunt to improve his defence.

Anyways, I actually like what I've seen from Glenn in defence recently. He's starting to make some big tackles and the left hand side is really shutting down a lot of opportunities.

That's fine and I believe every player in the team can improve in some aspect but you caught me really off-guard with the Lowrie point.

It'd be like if I said Josh Hoffman is our best half because I want Hunt to improve his defence.

Anyways, I actually like what I've seen from Glenn in defence recently. He's starting to make some big tackles and the left hand side is really shutting down a lot of opportunities.

... and this week, it has to be Hurrell - no mean feat. I expect Glenn to be onto him with Reed. He needs to be.

My issue with Glenn is that he doesn't pass the ball much any more.

... and this week, it has to be Hurrell - no mean feat. I expect Glenn to be onto him with Reed. He needs to be.

My issue with Glenn is that he doesn't pass the ball much any more.

Hoffman should be passing the ball more, Glenn should be running into holes.

Hoffman should be passing the ball more, Glenn should be running into holes.

Agreed of course. At the same time, Glenn used to offload and pass a lot more than he does now. He should start doing that again, like Gillett does on the right hand side. At the moment, Glenn is playing the same kind of game as Hoffman - get the ball and just run and not even look to pass. There have been times when Glenn has dies with the ball with unmarked players on his outside. Not good.

Agree, as I said in OP I've really enjoyed watching him play this year, he's playing a lot better this season compared to last year, and that's without a good Five-Eighth feeding him the ball, I really want him to stay, I just think Oates is the better long-term prospect, if we were going to lose one of the two.

Oates hasn't finished growing - he will end up in the front row.

Oates hasn't finished growing - he will end up in the front row.

Not with his speed. I still reckon he's the next Gene Miles unless he's fattened up and selected out of position which ought to be centre, and maybe later move to the back row

To focus on mostly on size is like suggesting Vidot should play front row

Last edited:
He will end up close to the build of James Tamou. I haven't really seen him throw anything more than a pop pass. Hits hard in a tackle, doesn't have great acceleration but has a decent top speed, makes meters after being tackled.

Last edited:
He will end up close to the build of James Tamou. I haven't really seen him throw anything more than a pop pass. Hits hard in a tackle, doesn't have great acceleration but has a decent top speed, makes meters after being tackled.

IMO he has agility far beyond someone who is going to be used as a battering ram. He'll be a phenomenal edge player - able to bust through with good lines as well as speed & power. And the perfect balance of hard-hitting and mobility to act as a bodyguard for a Milford-type half.

He also pretty much out sprinted Uate last year, although I accept he has bulked up (naturally I hope) since then, but still, I doubt he has lost that much speed.

I bet he can leave Vidot for dead.

For mine, Oates is another ideal replacement for Hodges. Problem then becomes, what of Copley, and the fact we have a plethora of back rowers as many here have, ah, noticed.

But then, since certain BHQ pundits want Gillett, Glenn and Thaiday in QCup with my suggestion that AP coaches them to play proper footie, Maybe Oates and Vidot will be ideal back rowers while Gillett et al play QCup ... or ... we sell them to the Raiders?

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Galah
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • heartly87
  • Alec
  • Griffo
  • Justwin
  • Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • mrslong
  • barker
  • phoenix
  • Big Del
  • Nerd
  • Fitzy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.