The Beale-Hoffman Conundrum

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I think this will be an interesting discussion.

According to broncos.com.au, Josh Hoffman is due back from injury in round 9 against Melbourne. When he was injured in Round 3 against the Titans, it was assumed that whoever fills in would be there temporarily because of Hoffman's outstanding form in 2010 and good form in the early rounds of 2011.

But then along comes Gerard Beale. A bloke who has struggled in the centres, but since finding himself in the number 1 jersey has produced some really good performances. Certainly it has become clear that fullback is Beale's best position.

So there have been calls on BHQ for Beale to keep the #1 jersey. Others have said that Hoffman just walks straight back in.

What do you reckon? Does the bloke not playing fullback play on the wing or back in QCup?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Either Hoffman plays one game in Q cup or a couple on the wing in first grade and goes back or just goes straight back in.

What ever happens Hoffman is going to end up with the no.1 jersey, Beale will probably end up on the wing.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Hoffman imo would go better on the wing than Beale... however he has played well enough since debuting to earn the right to just walk back into the one.

Beale as you said has played outstanding at fullback, and really struggled to hit form on the wing and in the centre. He is however stuck behind a better fullback, similar to Boyd/Slater for Origin/Aus.

Right now I'm all for Beale shifting back to the wing and hopefully for us the confidence he gained at fullback will carry over to his performance on the wing. The loser out of all this is Copely, The kid will be a star one day but right now we have 5 other Stars/Future stars in our backline.

Also, Gagai called.... Ah Brisbane how blessed we are.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Hoffman for sure. He is a better support player, can work the second man play better (although he has a ton of improvement left in this department) and is better in defence at the back.

Beale, while surprisingly awesome since moving to fullback, is a good runner of the ball individually but doesn't have as many strings to his bow as Hoffman.

The biggest conundrum is where to put Beale.. his form makes him too hard to leave out of the side but the only spot he can go is on the wing. No idea how he is as a winger though.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I was laughed for saying Hoffman shouldn't be able to walk back into the side. [icon_lol1.

Still of the opinion Beale > Hoffman.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Nashy said:
I was laughed for saying Hoffman shouldn't be able to walk back into the side. [icon_lol1.

Still of the opinion Beale > Hoffman.

Beads said it to me at the Titans game, There is something special about Beale.

He said that right after i joked that Hoffman looked injured during the warm ups.... oops

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ethos said:
Hoffman for sure. He is a better support player, can work the second man play better (although he has a ton of improvement left in this department) and is better in defence at the back.

Beale, while surprisingly awesome since moving to fullback, is a good runner of the ball individually but doesn't have as many strings to his bow as Hoffman.

The biggest conundrum is where to put Beale.. his form makes him too hard to leave out of the side but the only spot he can go is on the wing. No idea how he is as a winger though.

+1

I know Beale has been going great guns for us, but I would much prefer Hoffman at fullback. Hoffman was consistently great for us last year and before he got injured, hence why he has cemented the #1 jersey.

If Hoffman plays a below par game or two at fullback once be gets back (heaven forbid), then that's when Beale can take over.

But the question is, where would Beale play once Hoffman is back.

PS. I love the word "conundrum".

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I have to say Beale right now. altho, Hoffman is way better defensively. I think we should try to turn Hoffman into a centre.

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
pennywisealfie said:
I have to say Beale right now. altho, Hoffman is way better defensively. I think we should try to turn Hoffman into a centre.

Maybe that's where he should play for a few games when he returns. If he goes great there, we've gained a centre. If not, just put him back at fullback.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
dukey said:
pennywisealfie said:

Maybe that's where he should play for a few games when he returns. If he goes great there, we've gained a centre. If not, just put him back at fullback.

So we're shifting Reed or Hodges? Madness..

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
ethos said:
dukey said:
pennywisealfie said:

So we're shifting Reed or Hodges? Madness..

Gotta shift somebody.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Hoffman had a stint in the centres for Redcliffe at the start of last year and was defensively poor.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
No matter how good Beale has been at FB, he hasn't been up to Hoffman's best level.
You have to put the best player you have for each position in that position, not try to shift him around to accomodate someone who has been good, but is not the best.
Beale is a great backup FB to have, potentially even a very good utility, but with Hoffman back, I wouldn't give him a starting spot, unless he's the best to fill that position.
So far IMO, he hasn't shown to be better than Hoffman at FB, better than Reed at Centre, or better than Copley on the wing.

As Spwn said, we're blessed with Yow Yeh, Hoffman, Hodgo, Reed, Copley, Gagai and Beale. Only 5 of them can play! Gagai and Beale just need to be better than the rest to get in, and I don't think that anything other than the left wing spot is still up for grabs... [icon_shru

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Goes straight back to fullback, it's good to have these kinds of conundrums though.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ezpz
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.