NEWS The biff is back

Kevin Walters has reanimated 61 year old hard man Mark "Chopper" Burgess and brought him back to life as a part time conditioning trainer working alongside Alex Corvo.

Chopper:

“I’m looking forward to being back at the Broncos. It’s a whole new regime. Kevvie Walters, Dave Donaghy and Ben Ikin are there. It’s a new generation of players and a new gym, everything will be new to me … but I’m going to bring some old school training back to the Broncos. That’s what the current Broncos are lacking in my eyes, they need a harder edge and some old-school methods. There will be no shortcuts. I want the guys to get in there, train hard, eat right, play hard and if you do that, you put yourself in a position to win titles.”

Screenb6369373f54ad905478aff9c1fa7d192

Something the matter, mate?

“My methods have worked at the Reds and previously the Broncos, so let’s try and make it work again,” said Burgess, who has had more than 100 amateur fights. Brad Thorn is old school and his methods at the Reds have worked. Dave Ballard got in contact with me a while ago and my message will be creating unity and using boxing as a vehicle. The whole concept around boxing is promoting unity, camaraderie and self-esteem and that’s the message I want the guys to learn. I know Adam Reynolds well from Souths and Payne Haas is a freakish athlete for a big boy, so I’m looking forward to training him. I start on Wednesday and I’ll be doing a couple of sessions a week. I’m there to support Dave and Alex, so if they think someone needs extras, that’s where I come in and I’ll work them hard on rehab stuff.”

Ben Ikin:

“My first experience with Chopper was when I was back playing at the Broncos and he is certainly unique, they won’t make another one. He can tear you down and build you up, but at the end of the process you always feel like you are more capable as a person. His ability to take players, throw a different style of training at them, which is boxing, and work hard and build self-confidence is what makes him special.”

McHunt

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Chopper:

“The standout boxer for me was Payne Haas. Payne is quite simply a freak. He is one of the best athletes I have seen in all my years of training. The way he was moving his head in the ring, it was like Muhammad Ali. Quick, effortless ... Payne is a really skilled athlete for a big man.”

“His fitness, his skill, his athleticism ... he is off the charts. He is a monster at 118kg and his skin folds are fine. If he did some serious boxing training, he could easily be a success, but I want to push him another way and see him hit his peak as a rugby league player at the Broncos. Payne is coming back from an ankle injury, so he couldn’t move too much, but oh my god, he has everything as an athlete.”

“The session taught me a lot about the current Broncos group and the great people they have coming through the club. I worked with Kobe Hetherington, Payne Haas, Tesi Niu and Herbie Farnworth and they gave me 100 per cent effort. They were on the ground totally stuffed afterwards. The beauty of the old Broncos like Shane Webcke, Gorden Tallis, Andrew Lee and Darren Lockyer is we would do some boxing and they would all hang around with each other afterwards and build their mateship. I see a good culture developing at the Broncos. If these guys do the same thing, the Broncos will get results on the field. I guarantee it.”

McHunt

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
He was at the club about a month ago touring the joint.
He is usually down the bottom of the Kangaroo Point cliffs training people most afternoons if anyone wants a chat.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He was at the club about a month ago touring the joint.
He is usually down the bottom of the Kangaroo Point cliffs training people most afternoons if anyone wants a chat.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
At least with Corvo being back, the blokes will be fit round 1

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
At least with Corvo being back, the blokes will be fit round 1
I don't want to sound cynical - because I'm feeling positive too - but can you ever remember a season where we didn't think that?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I don't want to sound cynical - because I'm feeling positive too - but can you ever remember a season where we didn't think that?
Yeah every year we didn't have Corvo. There is one thing Corvo is good at, making the players fit and capable to play 80 minute footy. For the last 3 years we haven't played 1 80 minute game where we didnt fade out for 15-20 minutes

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah every year we didn't have Corvo. There is one thing Corvo is good at, making the players fit and capable to play 80 minute footy. For the last 3 years we haven't played 1 80 minute game where we didnt fade out for 15-20 minutes

Broncos faded out of lots of games in 13-17.

Warriors made an art form of it 17-19.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I thought Corvo joined for the 2014 season? He may have been signed in '13 but it was for the upcoming season. Similarly he joined the Warriors for the 2018 season where they made the top 8 for the first time since 2011.

We'd be splitting hairs but I can't recall too many performances where the Broncos 'faded'. Biggest one that comes to mind was Todd Carney's last game in the NRL where they somehow let a 22-0 lead slip. The only other game that comes close was Te Maire Martin's debut and even Penrith were the masters of that 'behind by 14, win by a point' type of win.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I thought Corvo joined for the 2014 season? He may have been signed in '13 but it was for the upcoming season. Similarly he joined the Warriors for the 2018 season where they made the top 8 for the first time since 2011.

We'd be splitting hairs but I can't recall too many performances where the Broncos 'faded'. Biggest one that comes to mind was Todd Carney's last game in the NRL where they somehow let a 22-0 lead slip. The only other game that comes close was Te Maire Martin's debut and even Penrith were the masters of that 'behind by 14, win by a point' type of win.
I truly admire your power of recall.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Nah it’s my usual running track at KP and I live 3 streets from Fulcher Rd and have a Jack Russell that demands walks…
A Jack Russell is your boss. He knows it. You know it. You will never get promoted. Give up hope.

Unread

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • barker
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • kiwi2
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.