NEWS The catch in Pangai Jr's Broncos deal

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Pangait  180503700

Brisbane Broncos enforcer Tevita Pangai Jr set to ink deal to remain at Red Hill

October 18, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
What a load of horse shit.

We can only offer him a 1 year deal because of salary-cap pressures? How does salary cap pressure affect future years? The only way that's possible is if we've back ended every deal on our books, which is astronomically unlikely. Even if that were the case we'd have Kahu & Glenn off-contract at the end of next season, several more players the year after, how could we not have the funds for a 3 year deal?

Unfortunately for us this only means one thing, he's leaving with Bennett after next season.

Nice that he's loyal to the coach but Bennetts on his way out and his career is just beginning...Not a lot of forward planning in following Bennett for 1 maybe 2 seasons at whichever dog shit club picks him up.

Last edited:
Could assume Bennett told him to sign a one year deal because he's likely going to increase in value, and he should be able to recontract later for a better salary. I mean, he still seems like a guy that has his players best interests on his agenda.

Could assume Bennett told him to sign a one year deal because he's likely going to increase in value, and he should be able to recontract later for a better salary. I mean, he still seems like a guy that has his players best interests on his agenda.

Feels a lot more like Bennett wanting to take TPJ with him than Bennett wanting to marginally increase the net value of Tevita's first significant contract.

It's smart from TPJ. His value is going to skyrocket next season and he will be able to get a bigger deal.

There was never any doubt. As he said, he came to the club because of Bennett, but his loyalty is to the Broncos and the Bennett situation won't change that.

He'll re-sign next season on a longer deal when we free up some more space in the cap.

How can TPJ only give thanks to WB in his rise to nrl. That is really pissing me off and if he only wants to sign for 1 year he should just **** off.

What a load of horse shit.

We can only offer him a 1 year deal because of salary-cap pressures? How does salary cap pressure affect future years? The only way that's possible is if we've back ended every deal on our books, which is astronomically unlikely. Even if that were the case we'd have Kahu & Glenn off-contract at the end of next season, several more players the year after, how could we not have the funds for a 3 year deal?

Unfortunately for us this only means one thing, he's leaving with Bennett after next season.

I'd heard a couple of things that him and Roberts especially aren't happy with the whole Bennett situation and I don't really have any reason not to believe what I was told either. Makes no sense that we only offer a one year deal to a quality young forward.

At least Bennett signed the rest of the young brigade long term for us

Should offer him a three year deal or nothing. He can't risk signing elsewhere if he wants to follow Wayne unless a club like the Knights are prepared to sign him for a season (which would probably happen because they're that dumb).

He'll be injured most of the time at a club without our resources judging from his hamstring history anyway, so it doesn't bother me from a competitive point of view if he leaves. Obviously it will weaken us, but we can cover him. Assuming we don't have a replacement coming through the juniors, like say Carrigan flops, then we should be going after Arrow when he comes off contract given McGuire's age and the loss of TPJ.

How can anyone be mad at this? Isn’t TPJ his own manager going forward? If so I’m very impressed.

A year deal will see his price sky rocket, it will allow him to pay back the broncos in some sense, it will give him the option to follow Bennett if he sees fit, but most importantly, he won’t be tied into a long term deal if a shit coach ends up being picked. Why wouldn’t he want to know who his new boss will be before committing to sticking around?

Very smart from TPJ and as a fan And someone who would really like him to stay, I can’t ask for more than for him to agree to 1 more year at the moment.

Good for him. Stoked if he does infact stick around for at least one more.

Last edited:
It’s disrespectful to the broncos imo and I thought very highly of him as a club player and honest person.

**** me can we see if he actually does leave before we write him off? Maybe he is signing a 1 year deal because he wants to follow Bennett, or maybe he wants to make sure he gets paid, or maybe he wants to make sure we don’t sign some scrub coach before he commits long term (we have form in that area).

Having tantrums over assumptions is pretty ridiculous.

It’s disrespectful to the broncos imo and I thought very highly of him as a club player and honest person.

I don't see a person looking after his best interests disrespectful. What's he done that's disrespectful?

I'd heard a couple of things that him and Roberts especially aren't happy with the whole Bennett situation and I don't really have any reason not to believe what I was told either. Makes no sense that we only offer a one year deal to a quality young forward.

My care factor of Roberts leaving has diminished over the last 12 months, thought he was pretty meh for a majority of the season, certainly not living up to his pay cheque. 9 tries last year in comparison to 18 tries the year before.

Last edited:
My care factor of Roberts leaving has diminished over the last 12 months, thought he was pretty meh for a majority of the season, certainly not living up to his pay cheque. 9 tries last year in comparison to 18 tries the year before.

Tbf to Jimmy, his achillies injury held him back massively almost all year. I lost count the amount of the times a saw him hobbling back to the changing rooms after a game because of it. It's something we need to sort out because a fully fit Roberts is a quality player.

As a Broncos fan, it's like - just sign for longer and cheaper you fucker.

If I was in his situation, I'd probably do the same. No one even knows who the next coach is going to be.

Also Roberts will always be a good NRL stardard player while he still has his speed. If he loses it...well, that's another story, he hasn't developed his game beyond just running around the outside of players from a flat start.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Jedhead
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Lurker
  • bert_lifts
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.