CONTROVERSIAL The Crux of our Development issues?

Just look on here, it means 20 different things. If you asked people most just say debut- he's a Raiders junior.

What about the Capewell's of the world; he's surely not a Sharks junior at 23. Is he a Broncos or Roosters junior because of 28 NYC games?

But why do we need to stick to what's been happening? Why do we need to rush a draft in like we do with stupid rule changes?

Let's say we aim to bring a draft in in 2025. We now have to define what an academy product should be and work out what an academy is. We then release that info to all clubs. If you need to adapt, you adapt or your tradition 'developed' kid will not be classified as yours once these rules come in. If they then decided definition means Mozer is not classified as a 'Bronco kid', so be it.

Why does the draft have to be a rookie draft though? Why can't it be a free agent draft? Clubs have until June 30/Round 14 or whatever you set the deadline as to sign a player. If a player wants out or wants to join a new club they have to negotiate with the club for a trade. If nothing can be worked out by then any player who is unsigned goes into a free agent draft. This can include QCup/NSW Cup players or rookies at clubs that want to try their luck in the draft.

Lets use Corey Oates as an example. Let's say the Broncos decide not to re-sign him. They then tell his management they are free to negotiate a trade. The whispers have been the Panthers are interested in him. The Panthers decide to offer Oates a 3 year deal and negotiate a trade with an off contract Panthers player. However if Oates' management can't find a deal for him he goes into the draft and if he doesn't get picked up he can then enter free agency.

This way players instantly move to their new club once their trade is organised. None of this signing for the next season garbage and it allows players and teams more flexibility with their roster management.

Why does the draft have to be a rookie draft though? Why can't it be a free agent draft? Clubs have until June 30/Round 14 or whatever you set the deadline as to sign a player. If a player wants out or wants to join a new club they have to negotiate with the club for a trade. If nothing can be worked out by then any player who is unsigned goes into a free agent draft. This can include QCup/NSW Cup players or rookies at clubs that want to try their luck in the draft.

Lets use Corey Oates as an example. Let's say the Broncos decide not to re-sign him. They then tell his management they are free to negotiate a trade. The whispers have been the Panthers are interested in him. The Panthers decide to offer Oates a 3 year deal and negotiate a trade with an off contract Panthers player. However if Oates' management can't find a deal for him he goes into the draft and if he doesn't get picked up he can then enter free agency.

This way players instantly move to their new club once their trade is organised. None of this signing for the next season garbage and it allows players and teams more flexibility with their roster management.
This is more or less how the AFL draft works. While the majority of players are rookies, any other player left without a club after the trade period can nominate also.

At the moment the big issues are:
1. Clubs get ZERO benefit from developing junior talent and therefore have no incentive to do so
2. There's huge disparity in the league and both young players and FA's are flocking to the successful teams to play below market value for a winner

Fixing issue 1 might not be something the NRL wants to explore given the negative ramifications on teams like their darling Roosters... so let's imagine a draft where no priority is given to any team regardless of where a prospect played so we completely eliminate all questions over who can lay claim to a player.

At least such a draft would still solve issue number 2 which is by far the biggest plaguing our game.

The sport is rigged. It will take a miracle to get out of this hole. You can't compete when players go to clubs like the Storm and Rorters for massive unders. Speaking of the Rorters, Brandon Smith going to them next year is the biggest joke I've ever seen in this game. Can't believe no one is even questioning it.

On top of that, you now have talent being even further diluted with the Dolphins and they will no doubt offer players massive overs like the Titans do.

The bottom 10 or so teams just butcher each other with these awful, overpaid contracts. It's just a never ending cycle.

The sport is rigged. It will take a miracle to get out of this hole. You can't compete when players go to clubs like the Storm and Rorters for massive unders. Speaking of the Rorters, Brandon Smith going to them next year is the biggest joke I've ever seen in this game. Can't believe no one is even questioning it.

On top of that, you now have talent being even further diluted with the Dolphins and they will no doubt offer players massive overs like the Titans do.

The bottom 10 or so teams just butcher each other with these awful, overpaid contracts. It's just a never ending cycle.

But even offering massive overs and with one of the greatest coaches of all time, the Dolphins are still struggling to attract any big names. What hope do rubbish clubs with poor coaches like us have?

You either need to have some sort of reward for developing young talent - ensuring that wherever a prospect plays their junior footy, they automatically feed into the associated first grade team for the duration of a rookie contract (2-4 years). But this would kill teams like the Roosters who make no effort to foster their own young talent.

So the alternative....

Have a draft system whereby the team that developed the prospects has 'first rights' to acquire that player for a fair amount (exactly how the AFL do it)... An example: Hypothetically the Tigers get the wooden spoon this year, giving them first pick in the rookie draft. They are keen on young Blake Mozer, but he is linked to the Brisbane system. Given the Broncos have developed Mozer as a junior, they are able to (if they want to) usurp the Tigers to select Mozer by trading an appropriate value of draft picks / players to the Tigers, and the Tigers have no right of refusal. Therefore, the Broncos guarantee they get the junior they developed but ALSO the poorer teams up the top of the draft order still get fairly compensated to ensure parity across the competition.

Terry Hill ...

The NRL exist to grow the game. Without the game there is no NRL.
The issue for me isn't actual players being invested in, it's the fact that money and time is being invested in junior footy by some clubs with no reward. 1910 always goes on about the broncos poaching from other regions, but does any other club come close to spending the same amount of money on junior footy? This grows the game, and where's the reward for it? The broncos brand is losing far more then it gains with this system yet they are spending more on growing the game then any other club? "But brisbane are bigger then any other club" SO WHAT! Big clubs with lots of supporters SHOULD have more chance of winning! Big clubs that invest more INTO THE GAME OF RUGBY LEAGUE SHOULD HAVE PERKS that clubs that do not invest in junior footy don't.
I don't give a flying **** where a player came from (although it would be nice to have development pool areas, I understand this would be unfair and absolutely unachievable in reality), BUT I think it should be as simple as "hey club XY puts more money into the game that we are meant to grow then club XZ, therefore club XY should get more perks".

If politis and the Melbourne gambling syndicate want to invest more into GROWING THE GAME then they should get rewarded too!!!!! Bcos at the moment they are getting rewarded for turning fans away from the game, and all they are interested in is there club winning no matter what it does to the game of rugby league. WTF are they getting rewarded for that?!

The NRL exist to grow the game. Without the game there is no NRL.
The issue for me isn't actual players being invested in, it's the fact that money and time is being invested in junior footy by some clubs with no reward. 1910 always goes on about the broncos poaching from other regions, but does any other club come close to spending the same amount of money on junior footy? This grows the game, and where's the reward for it? The broncos brand is losing far more then it gains with this system yet they are spending more on growing the game then any other club? "But brisbane are bigger then any other club" SO WHAT! Big clubs with lots of supporters SHOULD have more chance of winning! Big clubs that invest more INTO THE GAME OF RUGBY LEAGUE SHOULD HAVE PERKS that clubs that do not invest in junior footy don't.
I don't give a flying **** where a player came from (although it would be nice to have development pool areas, I understand this would be unfair and absolutely unachievable in reality), BUT I think it should be as simple as "hey club XY puts more money into the game that we are meant to grow then club XZ, therefore club XY should get more perks".

If politis and the Melbourne gambling syndicate want to invest more into GROWING THE GAME then they should get rewarded too!!!!! Bcos at the moment they are getting rewarded for turning fans away from the game, and all they are interested in is there club winning no matter what it does to the game of rugby league. WTF are they getting rewarded for that?!

I don't go on about the Broncos poaching- it's not poaching. But I just can't stand the debate being dominated by I hate that club they take players from Toowoomba that's wrong but I love the Broncos having 17 Coast kids.

Just blows my mind.

I don't go on about the Broncos poaching- it's not poaching. But I just can't stand the debate being dominated by I hate that club they take players from Toowoomba that's wrong but I love the Broncos having 17 Coast kids.

Just blows my mind.
Is this with reference to the Va’A boys? Your argument is so out of touch nobody is/or has ever argued from the perspective of the whereabouts in which these players come from it’s the system. If a fucken player that played for valley’s when he was a kid gets picked up by the Roosters not a single person on the planet gives a shit. This isn’t an argument of where a player resides. Grassroots footy investment isn’t to develop players but to get participation numbers up. Yeah their is an element of development but I can guarantee you nrl, Qrl, NSWRL or even leagues clubs are paying off the majority of that not the clubs relationships with nrl clubs. The issue people have is when someone like the Va’A brothers, Sam Walker, Reece Walsh (not so much he was already NRL talent) etc are within our systems -getting paid you’d be surprised at times significant amounts as teenagers - pick up and leave because the chooks, warriors or whoever pick up the phone. That’s the issue, I couldn’t care less if they go shopping in qld schools, Brisbane area, Gold Coast area looking for players without contracts, that’s completely fine. By your logic the case would be every Gold Coast boy has to play for the titans before venturing elsewhere. That’s just fucken stupid. Blake Mozer may be a Gold Coast boy but the man has never been contracted to the Titans, fair game.

Is this with reference to the Va’A boys? Your argument is so out of touch nobody is/or has ever argued from the perspective of the whereabouts in which these players come from it’s the system. If a fucken player that played for valley’s when he was a kid gets picked up by the Roosters not a single person on the planet gives a shit. This isn’t an argument of where a player resides. Grassroots footy investment isn’t to develop players but to get participation numbers up. Yeah their is an element of development but I can guarantee you nrl, Qrl, NSWRL or even leagues clubs are paying off the majority of that not the clubs relationships with nrl clubs. The issue people have is when someone like the Va’A brothers, Sam Walker, Reece Walsh (not so much he was already NRL talent) etc are within our systems -getting paid you’d be surprised at times significant amounts as teenagers - pick up and leave because the chooks, warriors or whoever pick up the phone. That’s the issue, I couldn’t care less if they go shopping in qld schools, Brisbane area, Gold Coast area looking for players without contracts, that’s completely fine. By your logic the case would be every Gold Coast boy has to play for the titans before venturing elsewhere. That’s just fucken stupid. Blake Mozer may be a Gold Coast boy but the man has never been contracted to the Titans, fair game.

I have no idea what you're talking about- makes no sense- you clearly don't understand the point.

Sam was at IGS when the Roosters signed him- Year 12 and he'd never had an NRL contract before.

I think our problem may be a bit to do with the after effects of Pies.

Much like long-covid, we are still suffering from long-Siebold. It will still take another season or two before this is worked out of the system completely.

Lot to like about this thread. Thanx to the poster..

I recall Walker, Walsh and Dearden and the fact that when they approcahed the club to discuss their future and where they saw themsleves playing here...

And frankly, we had no idea, no long term thought out plan to develop and integrate them..

That is a big problem. We dont know what we have, and we dont have a long temr plan to bring them on.

So these kids leave....

Telling them to wait ISNT a viable retention policy Broncos...

Lot to like about this thread. Thanx to the poster..

I recall Walker, Walsh and Dearden and the fact that when they approcahed the club to discuss their future and where they saw themsleves playing here...

And frankly, we had no idea, no long term thought out plan to develop and integrate them..

That is a big problem. We dont know what we have, and we dont have a long temr plan to bring them on.

So these kids leave....

Telling them to wait ISNT a viable retention policy Broncos...

The Broncos had a plan for all three- the players just didn't agree and in Walker's case the delivery was terrible.

@1910
What is Dene Mariner up to ?
Can he tackle ?

@1910
What is Dene Mariner up to ?
Can he tackle ?

He's been mixed, first game obviously the four tries stand out and he was around the ball and took advantage of the situation. Second game was a good try with strength and last game was just a game.

He's had some bad reads, against Bears bad read that he went up too far and they scored. Pride he went up passively and they scored while he was standing flat.

Still a bit of a way to go.

Unread

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • The Boss
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.