Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
The get-out clause in Seibold's Broncos contract

Michael Chammas
Chief Reporter
Thu 26 Sep 2019, 02:50 PM

Brisbane have a protection mechanism built into Anthony Seibold’s five-year deal to cover the club if things go horribly wrong during the coach's tenure.

NRL.com understands the Broncos, at the time of drawing up the contract, had a performance-based termination clause inserted into Seibold’s deal with an agreed pay-out.

It is understood if the Broncos decided to pull the trigger, the club would not have to pay Seibold the remainder of his deal - but at least 12 months' salary.

The Broncos declined to comment when contacted this week.

There has been plenty of criticism of the Broncos in recent weeks in regards to the decision to sign Seibold for five years - plus an option for a sixth.

While there is no pressure on Seibold to hold on to his job after his first season in charge at the club, that pressure will intensify next season if the Broncos start the year slowly or struggle to make an impact on the competition.

Seibold showed in his first season in charge at South Sydney that he is a capable coach, however the situation he walked into at Brisbane made for a tough opening year for the 44-year-old.

The club is still reeling after the humiliating 58-0 loss to Parramatta in the opening weekend of the finals, with heads set to roll as a result of the embarrassing performance.

The Broncos went through a messy break-up with former coach Wayne Bennett last year to bring Seibold to the club.

While Brisbane have bowed out in the opening week of the finals the past two years, there is a stark contrast in the results over the two years.

In 2018 the Broncos won 15 of their 24 games and, while they finished in sixth, were just two points away from the minor premiers in one of the closest competitions in history.

This year the Broncos won four fewer games and made the finals in eighth position before their annihilation at the hands of Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium less than a fortnight ago.

It has sparked what is likely to be a clean-out, with Seibold to be given total control as he looks to stamp his authority on a roster and set-up he inherited.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/26/the-get-out-clause-in-seibolds-broncos-contract/

How is this news? Clubs have been able to pull the plug on coaches very early into their deals for decades.

I would like to know what the performance benchmark siebold has to meet next year is because I don’t think he met it this year.

I would like to know what the performance benchmark siebold has to meet next year is because I don’t think he met it this year.
It's probably making the finals. No coach would sign on for a top 4 clause.

This eases my anger about the length of the contract.

This is why you should have successful business people running clubs ... not ex-footy players

How is this news? Clubs have been able to pull the plug on coaches very early into their deals for decades.

that is true, but usually they have to pay out the remainder of the terminated coaches contract.

lets take Seibolds deal for example, if we terminated him at the end of next season, we would likely have to pay him the remaining 3 years ... but since we have this clause in his contract, we would only need to pay him 12 months salary instead

Last edited:
The get out of jail card. Well played. Paul White probably leaked the info to the media as he's been copping heat for the length of Seibold's contract.

Last edited:
Most coaches contracts are like this these days, it was mentioned awhile ago.
Brown, Maguire buy memory were mentioned

Coincidentally, this same NRL.com reporter has just done a fluff piece on how good Bennett is and how he gets players walking through walls for him.

Coincidentally, this same NRL.com reporter has just done a fluff piece on how good Bennett is and how he gets players walking through walls for him.
I don't think it's fair to credit Wayne for Jimmy's behaviour. I've tried to walk through walls plenty of times while wasted.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.