The Pearl in Action

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The pearl, damn what a pleasure it was to see him in action, speed agility and a nice bloke to boot. I remember that finals game against the Bulldogs in 1993, many doubted he would make a return in the season after breaking his jaw, not only did he make a return but he scored a try in his first touch in that finals game. You can have your physically dominating centres, I'll have the sleek, agile and fast pearl instead.

[automerge]1587355079[/automerge]

Last edited:
The pearl, damn what a pleasure it was to see him in action, speed agility and a nice bloke to boot. I remember that finals game against the Bulldogs in 1993, many doubted he would make a return in the season after breaking his jaw, not only did he make a return but he scored a try in his first touch in that finals game. You can have your physically dominating centres, I'll have the sleek, agile and fast pearl instead.

[automerge]1587355079[/automerge]

He was so good, an absolute champion. What an insult that James Roberts was ever compared to him.

What a champion. I’ve been giving Kayo a beating watching old games lately. Man, there was some talent. As for Roberts, I wonder what shape he and his chubby mate Mitchell will come back to training in?

What a champion. I’ve been giving Kayo a beating watching old games lately. Man, there was some talent. As for Roberts, I wonder what shape he and his chubby mate Mitchell will come back to training in?

James Roberts may not be the most motivated but he is always in good shape, lets be fair here.

my first ever sporting idol, and an absolute gent as a person.

love you pearl.

Meninga, and possibly Inglis in his prime are the only other Centres I've personally seen that were above Renouf. Hodges also gets a mention for being probably less talented and less pretty to watch, but for sheer effectiveness and results he was probably not far off their same ball park too.

Last edited:
Andrew Ettingshausen was pretty good too to be honest, he was the NSW version of Steve. Folau would have been something had he hung around as well but he did not. In terms of skillset though, I'd put Jamie Lyon up there too but he was just so different to all the others being spoken about here.

Andrew Ettingshausen was pretty good too to be honest, he was the NSW version of Steve. Folau would have been something had he hung around as well but he did not. In terms of skillset though, I'd put Jamie Lyon up there too but he was just so different to all the others being spoken about here.
I think Folau was prolific as a Winger and may have finished up as one of the best ever in that position if he'd stuck at it. He was a quality Centre too but I'm less certain about how good he would have been in that role given his main threat was in the air. As a Winger or Fullback he honestly could have been anything.

If you run off Renouf you'll get tries.
He'd have very few try assists to his name. You'd have to keep up with him to run off him. In his prime, he was easily the fastest in the comp.

He'd have very few try assists to his name. You'd have to keep up with him to run off him. In his prime, he was easily the fastest in the comp.
Cool story bro. It's just a saying kids used to say at school in the 90s. Do you not recall it?

Cool story bro. It's just a saying kids used to say at school in the 90s. Do you not recall it?
I didn't go to school in Australia. Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old saying.

Ha ha, no worries. Used to be a dad joke thing. Obviously the Pearl scored all the tries.

Pity we didn't play SVRL back then, would have been the first centre off the board.

Meninga, and possibly Inglis in his prime are the only other Centres I've personally seen that were above Renouf. Hodges also gets a mention for being probably less talented and less pretty to watch, but for sheer effectiveness and results he was probably not far off their same ball park too.

Miles was unstoppable through 84, 86-87 and won the Rothman's Medal in 1987. He had the whole of 85 off with his knee and would have killed it that year too. He is so underrated, I think he was a much more skilful player than Meninga, Miles could offload and run where I think Mal's strength was force and running. Very clever player Miles.

His value is highlighted in that 85 season, 84 Qld win Origin, Wynnum win the Comp and Brisbane win the Panasonic Cup- 85 he is out and Wynnum lose the Grand Final, Qld lose first Origin series and Brisbane out first round of the Panasonic Cup.

Miles was unstoppable through 84, 86-87 and won the Rothman's Medal in 1987. He had the whole of 85 off with his knee and would have killed it that year too. He is so underrated, I think he was a much more skilful player than Meninga, Miles could offload and run where I think Mal's strength was force and running. Very clever player Miles.

His value is highlighted in that 85 season, 84 Qld win Origin, Wynnum win the Comp and Brisbane win the Panasonic Cup- 85 he is out and Wynnum lose the Grand Final, Qld lose first Origin series and Brisbane out first round of the Panasonic Cup.
Meninga, and possibly Inglis in his prime are the only other Centres I've personally seen that were above Renouf.

Gene Miles as a Centre was before my time mate. I know the highlight footage exists and I've seen a good chunk of that too, but I do try not to form strong opinions about guys I've only seen retrospectively on highlight reels. My only real memories of Geno in his Broncos days are at Second Row.

Last edited:
As far as Gene Miles at the Broncos goes, I'd say his best form was in the second row or lock, at that stage of his career the transition from the centres into the forwards suited him and helped the Broncos in the forwards as well. Prior to the Broncos he was one of the most skillful and physically dominating centres to play the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.