The players were let go in hope to keep Hunt - confirmed!

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
I heard Ivan in a radio interview. The players were let go in hope to keep Hunt - confirmed.

Link is on ABC website: http://www.abc.net.au/sport/rugbyleague/audio/

Well that is just amazing IMO. An organisation like the Broncos making that sort of decision is mind blowing. When has an individual been ahead of the team?
Well now that this is the case it does mean we have some room in the cap now so does anyone know of any top players we might be interested in?
We don't really need big upgrades for our players so... let's get some signings going - we need it IMO.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I know it might be painful in the short term, but I really do think we need to make an investment in our future. The reason the club as been so successful for such a long period of time is because we have had a culture of developing and keeping players. We've started to buy the last few seasons - Falou, Clinton, Wallace, Te'o, Sims & Setu (off the top of my head). That is ok if the talent isn't there. We clearly have young talent, we made the Grand Final of the U20s cup last season and we are in the Top 4 this season. We should be making sure players like Hunt & Copely and Hala stay with our club. I'd rather see us maybe buy a few cheaper players like Ross (Sharks) & Graham (Raiders) to plug a few gaps and add some depth, than spend big money on one big name player. If we want our culture to return we have to nurture it. Whether we like it or not we are faced with a new generation and it may hurt for a few seasons, but the rewards will be there in three or four seasons.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Thought we already knew this.... its the main reason im pissed off at khunt

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
Thought we already knew this.... its the main reason im pissed off at khunt

Yes, but remember it's LOLZWORTHY that we blame Hunt for that. It's all the management's fault - who would've taken this decision without being somewhat convinced Hunt would stay.....

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I just can't agree Coxy, whoever was responsible for making the call to prioritise a fullback and a winger over 4 good forwards with a lot of years left in them is fully responible and knows nothing about the game.

They took the chance and had their pants pulled down.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
No doubt. Signing Folau for the price we paid was a poor decision. I don't care how good he is or will be. I said that from the start.

Fact is, he fell in Bruno's lap and Bruno jumped at the chance.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Yep it was a coup Bruno couldn't resist, he paid him what he wanted, got the plaudits and is now paying the price for attempting to win a premiership with backs.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Why? Props are worth every dollar. They're very hard to replace. Backs are not worth much, there's heaps of good wingers out there who can do the job for minimum NRL wage, halves, hooker and prop is where most money should be spent. If we still had Ennis, Hannant, Petro we wouldn't be going as bad as we are now.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
The Rock said:
Also, not sure if it's true or not - But rumours were that Clinton signed a 300k deal when he first came here. If that's true then LOLZ @ Bruno - Sure, he's a quality player but 300k? Can't be real.
I can't remember the exact amount, but I also read that Clinton was one of our top 3-4 paid players.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
He's somewhere between $250000-$275000 (I think).

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
^
Or Dogs paying Hannant overs made sense as well. They needed him IMO.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Mister Wright said:

I'm 99% sure it was $275000. There was an article on him last year when his form was ordinary and the headline was "I have been a $275000 dud"

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Jeba said:
Mister Wright said:

I'm 99% sure it was $275000. There was an article on him last year when his form was ordinary and the headline was "I have been a $275000 dud"

Can't find the article, but he is on $275,000

But found this.

Despite being his first breach of the code of conduct since arriving from Penrith on a big money deal, Cullen admitted the board discussed terminating his $275,000 a season contract.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

B

badav

BRL Player
Apr 12, 2008
How stupid of the club to put all their eggs in the Israel Folau and Karmichael Hunt baskets.

Not to mention how much we paid blokes like Teo, Sims and Clinton. One thing all 3 of these guys have in common is that they all are underachievers who left their previous clubs in crap form. Yet for some reason we picked them all up for over $200,000 each.

Unbelievable.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Alec
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • Skyblues87
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.