The Positives from 2014 season moving into 2015

K

koshy

U18 Player
Jul 25, 2014
Id be interested to see what people list as the positives for us moving through the remainder of this year and into next year... we have a good roster and a new direction going into next year - and yes I am happy to read peoples team lists as that is what a forum of ideas is for = people to express their views on player lists and direction of the club.

One positive and I'm being serious here, is that Josh Hoffman is contributing to the team to a much greater extent. We've found out that Copley should develop into a fine centre. Another thing is the regained confidence Maranta has generally shown and Barbas new found enthusiasm in a more suitable role. Two weeks ago I would have put Hunt up for first mention but over the last two weeks he has undone a lot of his good work. Still, this season on reflection should give him the confidence to go further.

1) Griffin is gone for 2015
2) Milford is here for 2015
3) Ben Hunt has become our halfback of the future
4) Griffin is gone for 2015
5) Milford is here for 2015
6) Dale Copley has become a strike weapon
7) Griffin is gone for 2015
8) Milford is here for 2015

1. Dale Copley is starting to show what some of us on here have known for years, and that is that he will be an awesome center for us in the future and a genuine strike weapon. he has all the tools required for a world class center, skill, strength, good footwork, a good fend.

2. Hunt - although he still has some work to do to become one of the top half backs in the comp (i.e. kicking game, composure, etc.) he has shown he has the talent to be that halfback we've been missing.

3. McGuire - continues to be one of our best forwards, developing nicely.

4. Griffin has been sacked. while he has assembled a quality squad for 2015, IMO, he hasn't got what it takes to take them to the next level.

- We've finally found ourselves a halfback that has been performing consistently for most of the year

- Signed Anthony Milford and could possibly partner him in the halves with Hunt but Barba has been quite good their in the last 2 weeks despite shit performances

- Signed Wayne Bennett (still 50/50 on that one though)

- Copley has been in consistent good form and has made an impressive comeback from injury. Origin player of the future but still needs a bit of work before he can be seriously considered

- Starting to build a team for the future that we can lay our long term plans on

1. Griffin won't be here. Let's face it, it had to happen, but he's leaving WB a fine roster...
2. Josh Hoffman not in the spine. Let's not understimate the value of that!
3. Ben Hunt, hopefully he will get on with it.
4. Dale Copley... not a surprise for me, as I've been saying it for ages.
5. Anthony Milford and Ben Barba will take their places at fullback & 5/8, and regardless of whom ends up where (looks like Barba is really enjoying the move to the halves), it will improve our spine by 200%, because Hoggman won't be there.
6. Hopefully Hoffman will take it on the chin and move to the wing, where he can be a splendid player.
7. Wayne Bennett will get more structure and get much more out of our forward pack and bench than we're getting now.
8. Here's hoping that Kennedy and/or Garbutt give us what we've been sorely lacking in the prop dept.

9. Finally, I expect nothing less for us, than to be real contenders and a top 4 team.

Last edited:
1) Griffin is gone for 2015
2) Milford is here for 2015
3) Ben Hunt has become our halfback of the future
4) Griffin is gone for 2015
5) Milford is here for 2015
6) Dale Copley has become a strike weapon
7) Griffin is gone for 2015
8) Milford is here for 2015

You forgot that griffin is gone for 2015

Positives for me - after the gradual loss of Petro, Taylor and Teo I thought we played badly in 2013 and this year I didn't see us improving at all and realistically did not think in 2014 we had the cattle to win the comp. That said I believe we have un-earthed some great talent and some players have really stepped up leaving us in a good position transitioning into 2015.
  1. We have a young squad and finally have some speed in the backline. We now have a potentially great young centre which was a problem position who is building up some miles in a-grade (Copley)
  2. The signing of Milford brings the brightest young star in the whole comp to our team. I believe that they wont risk wasting his talent and will groom him immediately at 5/8 and I totally agree with that. Its worth the risk and if it does not work we know he is a great fullback(a position we don't lack depth in)
  3. Wayne Bennet could potentially usher in a new generation of success that is long overdue. His ex players - Webke, Pearl, Hancock all agree he will do a great job. If he could groom a successor which I believe is his plan we are set for the future.
  4. Vidot has brought back the era of the big powerful winger we were once famous for and has many years ahead of him.
  5. Our forward pack whilst being in consistent only needs a little bit of tweaking and it could be deadly. Our backrowers are awesome - we just have way to many in one team(Thaiday, Glenn, Parker, Gillet, Oates,0 +( Lowrie, Stagg) - if we can find some props our pack will be plenty strong enough.
  6. Oats, Hala, Kahu,maranta are all on the verge of breaking through. If one or two can we are set.

Last edited:
1. Dale Copley took the first steps in fulfilling his destiny and replacing Steve Renouf as the club's greatest ever centre
2. Ben Hunt has a full year under his belt as the #1 playmaker in the team which will see him not have a late season fallout when we will play finals next season

Copley. Copley being put into the centres. Can be one of the greatest centres in the game. First priority for him is to learn how to read the play out wide and move up in defence instead of sliding laterally. Lyon made him look inept.

Barba to 5/8 where he belongs in this side. Shame it took so long.

Milford to FB in '15 where he belongs in this side. Hope it doesn't take long.

Vidot. I love watching him run the ball back. What a good signing.

Hunt. Hmmm. He has shown so much, and so little. Can't have both. For mine, still too early to tell just how good he is. His kicking game is largely sod ordinary, both in terms of when, where and how. Potentially a great half back.

Griffin. The effort was there, the skill wasn't, yet he still managed to keep us in the 8 for much of this season, until he was knifed in the back. Leaves good building blocks for the Messiah.

The Messiah. I hope He turns the water He walks on into wine, after He washes the blood from his hands.

I bet Copley will be on the wing next season.

Lets get serious - Copley is playing very very well, but he will never be one of the all time great centres lol. He wont even be in the top 3 Broncos centres.

Jamie Lyon, even though he's had a poor season by his standards, showed Copley up big time. I think this is another case of a good Broncos player being overhyped to the max. Hes good, but he'll never be a great.

The positives for me:

Hunt - has had a blinder of a year. Needs to get a kicking game, as his is atrocious, Nd needs to control the back end of a match better, but this year has been all about him. Great to watch.

Barba - he cant play worse in 2015.

McGuire - keeps getting better, easily our best prop and if the QLD selectors don't be morons again should be the first prop picked for QLD. Him and Myles would make a fantastic forward combination. Hope he doesn't leave.

Copley - finally showing what he's got, could hold that centre spot for years to come. Needs to work on positioning.

Vidot - a throwback to the early 2000s, big metre eater and does lots of work. Would like him to get a bit of his speed back, and some actual winger finishing skills with it, but its a fine line with how much size he would lose.

Thaiday - is one year closer to retirement.

Hoffman - won't be fullback, hopefully will suck it up and play wing where he is up there with the best in terms of finishing plays.

Milford - best young player in the comp, hopefully he plays fullback. Stop trying to manufacture a five eighth.

Reed - one step closer to being in reserve grade at this stage, hopefully Bennett doesn't do what we all think he will and give him the centre spot back.

Ummm line breaks, tries, speed, ability to get outside his man constantly.

Do you even watch our games? Or are you just trolling.
So in your eyes he is now a "great" centre. :001_rolleyes:

Just because someone has a different view then you does not mean they are "trolling", using that as part of an argument is a sign that you are not capable of an intelligent discussion, but I already knew that. :nod:

Jamie Lyon, even though he's had a poor season by his standards, showed Copley up big time. I think this is another case of a good Broncos player being overhyped to the max. Hes good, but he'll never be a great.
Bingo! :clap2:

no one is saying Copley is a great center right now ... but we are saying he is on track to become one.

at this point in time, he is still our biggest danger and best strike weapon in our team

So in your eyes he is now a "great" centre. :001_rolleyes:

Just because someone has a different view then you does not mean they are "trolling", using that as part of an argument is a sign that you are not capable of an intelligent discussion, but I already knew that. :nod:

Bingo! :clap2:

:laugh:. I hope you see the irony here.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.