The shoulder charge revisited

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
After 19 rounds I'm convinced that this was a knee jerk reaction that has resulted in some of the softest penalties/reports and suspensions I've ever seen.

The Dugan suspension is the perfect example of both the flawed rule and the judiciary.

Thoughts?

Really? So you're fine with the Dugan suspension and Hurrells penalty last night.

It needs to go. The refs have no idea how to enforce it, I've seen thigns I would call shoulder charges to without penalty, I've seen some I wouldn't call charges get penalised.

They should have just increased the suspension times if a player hits another player high from a charge. Still allow it, but make it clear to the players, if you're not confident you'll hit them legal, you could be sitting down for a fucking long time.

It needs to go. The refs have no idea how to enforce it, I've seen thigns I would call shoulder charges to without penalty, I've seen some I wouldn't call charges get penalised.

They should have just increased the suspension times if a player hits another player high from a charge. Still allow it, but make it clear to the players, if you're not confident you'll hit them legal, you could be sitting down for a ****ing long time.

Could not agree more, these are exact my thoughts.

They went about it all wrong. The issue is contact with the head so that is what they should have focused on. Like you said make it a massive penalty if you make contact with the head but at the end of the day put the responsibility back on the player.

It should just been: if through attempting a shoulder charge you make contact with the head, you are sent from the field and suspended for 12 weeks (or something like that)

No going to the juriciary
No early guilty plea
No arguing intent
No "oh but he slipped" or "mercury and Venus aligned and the cosmic pull raised my elbow" or "I bounced up off the ball"

If you attempt it and it goes wrong, you're gone!

Agree [MENTION=1976]Nashy[/MENTION] [MENTION=7802]broncos4life[/MENTION] - scrap the shit rule, put the onus on the players. Minimum 10 or 12 game suspension if there's contact to the targeted player's head. Bring back the big body hits and stamp out attacks on the head. Sorted.

It's so inconsistent. They only enforce it when they feel like it. Just get rid of it, and go back to penalising the high ones.

i'm fine with it. look at the permanent brain damage contact sports cause.

Brain damage from multiple head knocks is pretty well established. I love massive hits in league but I don't think the game loses anything by outlawing shoulder charges. The increasing size, strength, and speed of players was only going to lead to disaster. You only have to see the botched shoulder charge by Inglis to see how potentially dangerous the technique is. I know people will say 'penalise him for making contact with the head', but I understand the NRL wanting to remove the risk of it going wrong. Not to mention, very few players a capable of putting on a hit with anywhere near as much force if they are forced to wrap there arms (Nigel Plum excluded).

I don't completely disagree with anyone in this thread but I am fine with the NRL choosing to stamp it out.

edit: That being said, they definitely need to work on getting the rulings right. Consistency has been appalling.

Last edited:
Established in our sport? Or a different one?

Does it matter? Do you think rugby league players are capable of receiving the same blows as other similar sports while being completely immune to the usual damages?

Concussions are devastating to the human brain. It isn't like cartoons where their eyes roll around while stars circle their heads until they shake it off and are perfectly fine. A single concussion can be life changing...But of course who cares as long as we are entertained? The foundation of the game will crumble without shoulder charges and it makes the game too soft.

I agree with "theshed". The inconsistency and uncertainty in the application doesn't make the action to ban shoulder charges wrong. The whole point is about player protection. The rules need improvement and clarification, no doubt, but it's not a rule the NRL should backtrack on.

It has worked in junior rugby league for years. It just has some teething problems at senior level.

Established in our sport? Or a different one?

Yeah that's the point. These reactions have come about over a sport where hitting high was part of the game. In our sport, most concussions happen to the player making the tackle, hitting the knee or hips of the runner. Are they going to ban any tackles that happen below the waist & above the chest?

Despite my join date, I'm actually fairly new here so I don't know posters that well. With that in mind, I don't want to accuse Morkel of not being a neurologist.

Despite my join date, I'm actually fairly new here so I don't know posters that well. With that in mind, I don't want to accuse Morkel of not being a neurologist.

I've been accused of far worse. But my Mum says I'm smart. And handsome.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • jd87
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncoFan94
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncos Maestro
  • cento
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.