The time for Oates to second row is NOW

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
No more dancing around it, no more "oh but his metres out of our half are too valuable!1". Thaiday is retiring at the end of next year, and some would even argue he should be hanging it up now, and our depth in the 2nd row is not as good as it should be and Oates needs to be blooded in that role ASAP. Say what you want about David Mead but he is an experienced winger who hasn't had a full season in the position to get himself into the sides rhythm.

Another advantage of moving Oates is demanding more of our forwards. Oates won't be there to save their asses with quality kick returns anymore, so it's time to put up or get lost.

I watched an Oates highlight reel last night to get pumped for tonight. The lines he was running as a bench second rower were perfect.

I'm all for him playing second row, but we need to find a winger first.

He wont though realistically.... he even said so himself

If your going to move Oates I'd rather give someone like Isaako a shot first for a longterm prospect, Mead looks like his not really cutting it anymore in first grade and won't be around for much longer either. Depth at best Mead is IMO

If your going to move Oates I'd rather give someone like Isaako a shot first for a longterm prospect, Mead looks like his not really cutting it anymore in first grade and won't be around for much longer either. Depth at best Mead is IMO

Or OPACIC.

I'd like to see Opacic in the centres next year, we need to really address the defense that side and play Bird at lock to give us some real attacking options, allowing McGuire to move back to prop where he belongs.

100000% disagree ...

we need him on the wing.

Absolutely. He had a few drops tonight and most games for sure but also scores some absolute gems. Plus, many of his errors are the direct fault of the idiot at centre next to him which won't be a problem next season one would think.

Plus he must have still been concussed surely.

Unfortunately the guy who we had as our star winger retired when he destroyed his ankle.

I am happy with him staying on the wing. His metres are invaluable but if we get some props who can make those metres he can move.

Is he as good, long term, as Glenn, Gillet, Fifita or Su'a though? If we don't want him on the wing, we don't need to be forking out huge dollars for him imo.

Why? Sure he dropped a ball or two tonight, but one was a flick from moga while he was tiptoeing the sideline and the other was just a good cover tackle from the side when he was through.

do you think oates was the reason we lost tonight?

I don't have the statistics or anything, but it feels like he's been dropping the ball an insane amount ever since he came back from injury. Feet for hands.

The time for experiments stops.. Now.

We can experiment after we win a premiership..

Glenn is solid, but i think for impact Oates would be better once he gets to grips with playing in the forwards. I think Gillett needs to add more than good dfence to his game on the other side as well tbh.

Only problem then is we need to find a winger. Dont mind Hoeter from Norths or Ruben from the Blackhawks tbh if we are looking for a cheap pickup. One thing that does annoy me that other teams have done but we havent is blood promising players on the wing. Issako, Allan and Shibasaki could all do a good job on the wing while they develop their games, and i still wouldnt write off Pearson either.

Last edited:
I like Oates on the wing and moving him into the backrow certainly wouldn't be high on my list of changes that must be made.

Unread

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.