The time for Oates to second row is NOW

If we're talking changes next year, I'd be thinking about a bench utility. I liked the way it took pressure of the incumbent hooker and gave him the opportunity to be more attacking. Oates stays, atleast until his speed fails him. I think the likes of Roberts and gillet need to play in deeper attacking lines. They both have the ability to beat their opponent (in different ways) with ball in hand. They hold the ball too much but it is symptomatic not having space to use outside men. Want opacic or his ilk in left centre. Continue with offloads. Not enough against storm. Knik and milf need work on kicking games. Both terrible against storm. We need a young half for depth given some experience next year (utility? or swap with mack, knik to hooker, to keep everyone fresh and cover injury. Leave Oates where he is, until a superstar winger breaks through.

Oates needs to work on his hands but he is a massive advantage on wing, especially with a small pack giving us an extra forward early in set and still has speed and ability to finish. Second row stocks are not our problem, its middle forwards which Oates must not be misused for. Unless we get a superstar winger no need to shift him to forwards until he slows a little hopefully not for a few years.

Only question for me is if he has enough of a step and pass as well as defensive smarts to go to centre if required or would we just nullify his strengths. If no Boyd at centre and Bird could be better used elsewhere could try Isakko at wing. Although would like to see Opaic stand up in preseason and get his shot not sure he will have enough strike.

Lets not forget petro was an outside back in his early years. Oats could put in another 5kg and play in the forwards easy. The problem at this time is a our front row is lacking the punch required and our halfs lack the composer and game manager of the top sides. Morgan was amazing last night and is next level compared to any in our side at the moment. Milf has it in him he just needs it to click.

And who is going to play fullback?

If we can sign another half, I actually wouldn't be against Niko playing fullback, I think he proved his height won't be much of an issue against the Panthers when he denied Edwards a certain try.

I look at the Roberts try against the Panthers, and his second try against the Bulldogs, both of those tries being made possible due to the space Niko created by putting doubt in the defenders minds. They were both beautifully executed plays and Niko did brilliant creating space for Roberts, which also gives me hope that we do have some kind of attacking structure

To me he would be more of a threat at the back with the extra room he is given.

If we can sign another half, I actually wouldn't be against Niko playing fullback, I think he proved his height won't be much of an issue against the Panthers when he denied Edwards a certain try.
And what about 1 on 1's as the last line of d? remember matty bowen being trampled just about everytime it was a 1 on 1? there's more to defense than catching a high ball.

And what about 1 on 1's as the last line of d? remember matty bowen being trampled just about everytime it was a 1 on 1? there's more to defense than catching a high ball.

Rarely does a fullback come up with a try saver when it's one-on-one, anyway. You could count the amount of try savers from a fullback in a season on one hand. Most of the time when an opposition player gets one-on-one with a fullback, it's try time. Sometimes you will see a try saving tackle, but not often.

He showed against both of those sides he can organize a defence. Not as good as Boyd but he can. As he gets more experience in the role, that will improve.

Besides, defence can be taught. Niko is the kind of player that would work on that because he knows he needs to.

Out of all of the options we have to replace Boyd, he is arguably the best one.

Rarely does a fullback come up with a try saver when it's one-on-one, anyway. You could count the amount of try savers from a fullback in a season on one hand. Most of the time when an opposition player gets one-on-one with a fullback, it's try time. Sometimes you will see a try saving tackle, but not often.

He showed against both of those sides he can organize a defence. Not as good as Boyd but he can. As he gets more experience in the role, that will improve.

Besides, defence can be taught. Niko is the kind of player that would work on that because he knows he needs to.

Out of all of the options we have to replace Boyd, he is arguably the best one.

Well aside from Milford bad that isn't happening as we all know.

Unread

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • heartly87
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.