The young half Broncos should poach

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
MEET the teenager Justin Hodges believes can replace Ben Hunt.

While speculation continues to build around whether Brisbane will make a move to entice Ashley Taylor to break his contract and leave the Gold Coast, club legend Hodges believes he may have found another candidate.

Stuck behind International Cooper Cronk and whiz kid Cameron Munster, Melbourne playmaker Brodie Croft could be Brisbane’s saviour in 2018.

The only problem is he’s got a contract with the Storm until the end of 2019.

Still eligible for Holden Cup, Croft spent much of last season playing Intrust Super Premiership and has been elevated into the fulltime squad.

Having made his NRL debut against St George Illawarra last year, Croft is also a member of the under 20s Queensland Origin side.

With a wealth of talent and sharing similarities to a young Cronk, Hodges believes Croft could build a formidable partnership alongside Anthony Milford.

“There’s a good young kid down in Melbourne named Brodie Croft, they won’t let him go but he’s just like a mini Cooper (Cronk),” Hodges told foxsports.com.au.

“I’m coaching our Queensland 20s side and he was in our camp. They need to target a kid like that and start building the club around him and Anthony Milford.

“They need to invest in a good young kid, stay with him and work on him and build a club around him.”

Still only 19, Croft is viewed by some within the Storm ranks as the heir to Cronk’s no.7 jersey although the master playmaker is signed until the end of 2018.

Even if the Broncos were interested, it’s unlikely the Storm would be willing to release Croft, a player they’ve put so much time in grooming to make the next step.

“If you look down (at the Storm), Cooper’s still got a few years left,” Hodges said.

“They’re talking about Munster at six. There’s a talented kid like Croft waiting in the wings. There’s probably talent like that waiting at every club. They need to pick someone up like that and try and bring him forward.”

While the Broncos will likely hit the open market to find a replacement for Dragons bound Hunt, their top priority is locking Milford away.

Chad Townsend, Luke Brooks, Josh Reynolds, Shaun Johnson, Mitchell Pearce, Tyrone Roberts, Ata Hingano and Gareth Widdop are just some of the names off-contract this season.

But should they roll the dice and not recruit a new no.7 for next season, they do have utility Kodi Nikorima on the books.

His name has been tossed around a lot of late with Hunt himself backing the Kiwi for the role.

Former halves coach and Queensland Origin boss Kevin Walters knows Nikorima’s game well from his time working with him at Red Hill and believes the pocket rocket could make the switch from bench nine to playmaker.

“Kodi’s a good young player,” Walters told foxsports.com.au.

“He’d be more than capable. Milford and Hunt are such a terrific combination. They’ve got to find someone.”

While it’s still unclear what role Benji Marshall will play this year, the veteran could possibly stay on for an extra season and fill the void.

In the short term he’s expected to play a utility role and spend some time in the centres.

“The biggest thing is for him to work on his defence,” Hodges said of Marshall.

“If Benji plays centre, there’ll be the six and three defending together and two targets for the defence.

“He might come off the bench and use him like a Morgs (Michael Morgan) in Origin. Use him like a 13. Benji’s biggest asset is his running game. Whether he plays centre or off the bench. He’ll be slotting in somewhere.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/bri...8/news-story/b5bd127f740412732b610ae81fed1925

Poach Bellamy and he brings croft with him.
At least with the 9's being staged on the weekend, it has got posters talking about a potential future HB for the club rather than the incessant and mindless "Bring back Ash" protests. Reality says that neither of these guys will be let go by their current clubs even if they wanted to venture up to this sun drenched wasteland. As for Bellamy, I assume you are just kidding around.

At least with the 9's being staged on the weekend, it has got posters talking about a potential future HB for the club rather than the incessant and mindless "Bring back Ash" protests. Reality says that neither of these guys will be let go by their current clubs even if they wanted to venture up to this sun drenched wasteland. As for Bellamy, I assume you are just kidding around.

I think you should " accept " the fact that ash taylor will be the one the club chases . If you think it's mindless! Maybe you should take your negative ass somewhere else !

I think you should " accept " the fact that ash taylor will be the one the club chases . If you think it's mindless! Maybe you should take your negative ass somewhere else !

Extremely well said Pagey an couldn't agree more. So many negative nellies around here at the moment! Perhaps one of the bronco "insiders" might want to help put an end to the bickering here an confirm if it is either Gareth, Brodie, or Ash that we are chasing !? That's "if" they know anything more then the rest of us do ? Well over to you Smokin, Tally, 1910, Kyall etc etc .

We all know we will be chasing Taylor hard but he isn't a certainty like you all believe so.

I thought this was a discussion forum where negative, positive, whimsical, pessimistic and flighty posts were allowed. You obviously missed my posts where I stated that Hunt will have a really good season and that the Broncs are a "shoo in" for top 4. If I wanted "airy fairy head in the clouds" type discussion, I would hang out on Facebook more. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't give you the right to tell someone to piss off IMO.

I thought this was a discussion forum where negative, positive, whimsical, pessimistic and flighty posts were allowed. You obviously missed my posts where I stated that Hunt will have a really good season and that the Broncs are a "shoo in" for top 4. If I wanted "airy fairy head in the clouds" type discussion, I would hang out on Facebook more. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't give you the right to tell someone to piss off IMO.

There is discussion and there is negativity. You don't just put your point across , you seem to need to put people down as well. And if you feel the need to do that, then expect to be told where to go !

Guys , for those subscribers who aren't familiar with Brodie (an perhaps don't follow the game as much as many of us do) I have gone to the trouble of finding an posting a link to his profile (hope the posting of link is allow moderation team) .

His only quite small but average size for half back - 177cm? Quiet cute too if I'm honest :)

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/team/profiles/brodie_croft.html

Enjoy lads .

Huh! Well I never thought I'd hear of someone coming out of Highfields. I grew up there.

Nothing except death is certain in life mate !

And taxes, don't forget them as well. Bit harsh on the newcomer pagey, there is always a place for an alternative viewpoint even negative ones. Sometimes pragmatism and negativity get mistaken for each other.

I have my fingers crossed we'll get Taylor back. Oh please let it be.. Sure, Croft would be fit the bill too though probably more unlikely that we'll get him than Taylor. Who's to know?

If Hunt was to get injured this year I would hope they choose Niko over Marshal for HB. Again, who knows?.. Niko might grab the opportunity and push on to be a great Broncos halfback. He might even be ready right NOW! Taylor was not far off but we already had Hunt.. Some clubs would kill to put a player like Niko in as their halfback wouldn't they?

Anyway, I'll tell you one thing.. I'm getting used to the idea that Hunt is leaving now. I am no Hunt basher but it may be for the best anyway. I think we'll find out a lot about Hunt this year. It's now or never type of thing. He has a pretty frikken good team around him and I have faith that these big young forwards of ours are about to stand up to counted. I want to see a hell of a lot more minutes of first grade from them this year than they played last year. We NEED their size on the field right now thank you! I want the broncs to have a stanch pack again. Sorry for getting a bit off topic ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely wonderful analysis Wild Horse an my nomination for posting of the year thus far . Looking forward in the near future for you to share more of your thoughts!

Active Now

• Alec
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fozz
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • thenry
  • Wolfie
  • pagey
  • ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.