NEWS This Bird will fly again

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Courier Mail's Chris Honnery presses a trimmed down Jack Bird to reveal his fullback ambitions. Fresh back from the latest in a series of horrific injuries, he faces former Shark's teammate Valentine Holmes in the season opener. Bird previously played three games in the number 1 for the Sharks in 2017:

“I’ve done a bit of film on Teddy (Tedesco) and I’ve done a bit of film on RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck). I’ve looked at two elite fullbacks and trying to take a leaf out of their book and trying to see what they do and how they set up plays. I just have to keep working hard. The more time I get there (at fullback), the better I will be. They’re two of the best fullbacks running around in the modern era. I’m not there yet but I just have to keep working on my game and try and get better at it.”

An arduous preseason under the thumb of coaching sensation, Anthony Seibold, has him tipping the scales at 91 kg, the lightest since his NRL debut in 2015:

“I’m probably back to my Sharks days. I was a little bit younger then but it’s the leanest I’ve been and the fittest I’ve felt. I’m feeling really good.”

Jackbird    B9L64anFP66

“I’m looking forward to it (facing Holmes). I played against him a few weeks ago. It was good fun. We haven’t really planned too much around Val. We all know what he can do. If we go out there and stick to our structures … we’ll be able to stop him and big Jase (Taumalolo) at the front. We just can’t worry about them too much and just worry about us.”

Bird is, indeed, the word.

McHunt

Last edited:
Having watched the trials; I love how hard he runs and how strongly he carries the ball back from kick returns.

I think he’ll nullify the “kick to Oates” plan a lot of teams use because if they kick to Corey; Bird’s run on the next tackle is almost as good as any backrower. His run will certainly be better than Boyd’s.

I think a spine of Turpin, Croft, Milford and Bird could be quite interesting.

I just hope he has a strong injury free year, it can only be good for the team...................but somebody .................. please .........................cut his damn hair!

I just hope he has a strong injury free year, it can only be good for the team...................but somebody .................. please .........................cut his damn hair!
I heard him talking yesterday. Round ten is his goal to get to injury free. If he makes it, he’s going to cut it.

I'm just ignoring the hair. It's the abhorrent but the least of his problems.

“I’ve done a bit of film on Teddy (Tedesco) and I’ve done a bit of film on RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck)…"

I too have watched a lot of Superman films...……... but I still can't fly :xxxx:

It's good to watch Teddy film, but Bird should also look to do fullback his own way. Slater and Teddy have remade the position but plenty of other approaches.

Justin Hodges was the most gob smacking fullback I ever saw, but would never get a gig back there with some of the "elite fitness" "skinfolds before you take a shit" approach we go on with.

Bird needs to be Bird, not Teddy.

Obligatory 2006 prelim final link.

It's good to watch Teddy film, but Bird should also look to do fullback his own way. Slater and Teddy have remade the position but plenty of other approaches.

Justin Hodges was the most gob smacking fullback I ever saw, but would never get a gig back there with some of the "elite fitness" "skinfolds before you take a shit" approach we go on with.

Bird needs to be Bird, not Teddy.

Obligatory 2006 prelim final link.
We have to pull up some vision of what he did in 2013/4? Was it..? When hook put him back there for a few games and he was interchanging with Hoggman.

He was sensational.

If only the guy could fly he'd not need to use his knees

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • RolledOates
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.