RANT This might be our year

I know I'm not the only one here who's been stuck in the mindset of us being in perpetual recovery/rebuild. That our premiership winning team is still some way in the future.

I admit I've been fixated on our inadequacies around dummy half since pretty much forever, while others of you have fixated on other positions - second row, fullback, etc. We just need something more from Riki, from Staggs, Haas to offload, Mam to mature, etc etc. Maybe we need a ruthless coach, rather than a good bloke.

In my head, I have us treading water until Mozer clicks into the spine. But I'm starting to think by that time we might be weaker in other areas, most obviously halfback.

Next year we should have at least one more genuine hooker, but if that's Mozer he'll still be finding his feet. Reynolds won't be any younger, and he'll be doing well to be see out the season at the top of his game. Which we'll need to win a premiership. Although we have ample stocks to replace Herbie and Flegler, it's hard to foresee their loss strengthening us. Not in the short term. Mariner might turn out to be an upgrade on Farnworth, but we haven't seen evidence of that yet. And Cobbo is still a wildcard.

So, I'm tossing this thought into the air: what if, despite our obvious shortcomings and the question-mark over our coach, this is as good as we're likely to get in the immediate future? What if 2023 is our year? Is that even possible?

What do you think?

I'm just enjoying the start to the season, but I don't think we are a premiership threat and might not even make the playoffs.

I'm just enjoying the start to the season, but I don't think we are a premiership threat and might not even make the playoffs.
A fair comment.......although I've never been a fan of the flavour of your pessimism.

This is a good question to ponder. I'd say we don't have as much in the way of old head experience as we did in 2015 but there's definitely parallels with X-factor game breakers.

We had Boyd in good form, and Hunt/Milf was an amazing combination. I would say Walsh already is on par or perhaps even better than prime Boyd as far as attack, defence maybe not quite there but he's been very good so far this year for the most part. Reyno offers different threats than Hunt - Ben loved to run as well, Reyno not so much - but Reyno has the edge in game management, which can't be understated. Mam is not where Milf was, but he does offer similar threat with ball in hand.

I'd be interesting to compare the sides # for # tbh.

can’t be stuffed getting a list up but player for player i think I take more blokes from this year than 2015. Lots of possible metrics though to consider.

This might need its own thread but how do we rank this team against all other Broncos teams?

is it better than 2015? I think it’s close to one of our best sides, so balanced and so much attack.
I remember thinking this last year, and despite how it ended up I think it was fairly right.

Bear in mind when you're nutting out this thought exercise, a lot of those players you think of now as legends, might not have looked that way to you at the time.

That said, it's easy to think of past players who outgun anyone we've had since - I'm thinking along the lines of Lewis, Langer, Tuquiri, Folau, Lockyer, etc - but having them all at once is something different.

A lot of things need to click and go your way for it to be a premiership year.

Injuries will be a big one. (I'm not going to jinx anyone, but we've got a pretty high chance of missing one of our elite players at the wrong time of the year - we just need a lot of luck on our side to ensure that doesn't happen.)

Tactics - particularly in finals. Lesser teams have won and advanced in finals footy because they just outclassed the other team off the field. (This one concerns me the most. I can see our coaches getting out gunned in this one.)

Strength of comp, draw, run home. (I actually like our chances against the current form of the comp. Eels/Sharks/Storm/Panthers/Rabbitohs/Manly/Chooks all look beatable this year. None look like they are going to sweep through teams like we've had in recent years.)

If every player on the park is willing to give everything and more. (Booze bans, giving more at training, sacrifices and heart are needed in spades).

Superstition - You've got to lose one to win one. This hasn't really ever been a Bronco thing - until 2015 we'd never lost a GF. If we're going to make it, we're going to have to do it this year. I can see losing Flegler and Herbie being much bigger losses than we anticipate - they've both been huge for us this year.

I am keeping my expectations very much in check. Yes we're 5 and 0, yes we're playing really good footy and seem to be making winning a habit again.....but it is a very long season, and all it takes is one disastrous moment like an injury or a long suspension and your whole year can change trajectory.

If we can stay undefeated and healthy up until Round 9 against Souffs (who are our next true "tough opponent"), I think you can lock us in for a top 8 spot. Any more than that, like top 4 or premiership, you will never see me confident about.

I think we are probably due a loss soon to reel in our focus, that last game was messy after the first half and with our overloaded attacking options we would still pile on more points even playing shit.

Some would probably flip the shit and think it's all doom if or when it happens, especially if we are heavy favourites but it's probably a good thing unless we clean up our attack next game.

Sportsbet:

1. Panthers: $4.20
2. Roosters: $5.50
3. Broncos: $7.00 <<<-----
4. Storm: $8.50
5. Rabbitohs: $8.50
6. Sharks: $11.00
7. Manly: $15.00
8. Cowboys: $18.00

It’s been a great start and while our defence is great we still have room for improvement in attack.

The next challenge though is to see how we fair away from Suncorp. We have been really poor on the road in recent years.

We managed 5/11 away victories last season: Dogs, Souths, Knights, Titans, Eels (not included Manly in magic round). 8/13 at Suncorp.

Panthers was our only game away from Suncorp in the first 6 rounds. 3 away games coming up before round 10.

For me, the key game is May 11. Even if we lose some before then which we likely will, May 11 is Melbourne in Melbourne. If we win that, I’ll think we are comp favourites but my fear is that we will get belted as usual and that will end our season.

For me, the key game is May 11. Even if we lose some before then which we likely will, May 11 is Melbourne in Melbourne. If we win that, I’ll think we are comp favourites but my fear is that we will get belted as usual and that will end our season.
Yep I think WHEN we beat Melbourne in Melbourne, that's when we all really start to believe.

Sportsbet:

1. Panthers: $4.20
2. Roosters: $5.50
3. Broncos: $7.00 <<<-----
4. Storm: $8.50
5. Rabbitohs: $8.50
6. Sharks: $11.00
7. Manly: $15.00
8. Cowboys: $18.00

Roosters way too short for mine, I'd have them closer to the Storm and Sharks higher than both. On current form anyway, I guess that could all change if Papps comes back. Bookies are obviously factoring in the Roosters late season form.

Roosters way too short for mine, I'd have them closer to the Storm and Sharks higher than both. On current form anyway, I guess that could all change if Papps comes back. Bookies are obviously factoring in the Roosters late season form.
I think they're just factoring the absolutely ridiculous roster they've been allowed to assemble.

It has to start clicking for them at some point

Until we beat Melbourne, I won’t get too excited. They’re beatable this year also so we might finally get it done.
We can take care of everyone else.
It was the same for me in 2015.

We beat Melbourne in Melbourne with that ridiculous defensive effort and that started to make me a believer.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Rowdy124
  • Bish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Broncorob
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Tim K
  • Evander
  • sooticus
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.