Thurston knee injury

Taumalolo and Hess go alright.

Life after JT will be worse than us post-Lockyer though, all you ever heard about for three years was who is his replacement and why the guy playing in his position isn't good enough.

I'm not so sure. Cowboys have their spine intact. Granville, Coote and Morgan should stay in their positions for the next few years one would think.

Very different for us. Hoffman hadn't really cemented the fullback spot, Hunt was dithering around on the bench and Norman needed a few more years before shouldering responsibility.

Green is also a better coach than Griffin. They will have a few lean years as the one common factor is they are both once in a lifetime players and are irreplaceable.

Its his calf. Probably a couple of weeks. Its evident how much they missed coote and granville last night. The metres they are making is still fine it is the lack of fluidity attacking sides. Morgan is off the boil big time and although Im sure ponga will be a very good player one day he is just simply not as good a playmaker as coote. Thurston basically tried to do everything himself as he was getting nothing from the rest of the spine.

No official word but Channel 7 are reporting that JT will be out for 3-4 weeks.

The Cowboys play the Dragons (A), Knights (H), Eels (H), Bulldogs (A). There's every chance in the world they go 3-1, but they'll need to make amends after an awful showing against the Tigers.

No official word but Channel 7 are reporting that JT will be out for 3-4 weeks.

The Cowboys play the Dragons (A), Knights (H), Eels (H), Bulldogs (A). There's every chance in the world they go 3-1, but they'll need to make amends after an awful showing against the Tigers.

I reckon they are a good shot at going 0-4
No Granville and Coote looks like he might be out for a couple of more weeks too. This is a great test to see if Morgan is capable because he hangs of Thurstos coat tails way too often

Can't see them beating at least the Dragons at moment.

They got such a soft draw, with so many home games as well. Here's hoping Dragons put 50 on them.

No Granville and Coote looks like he might be out for a couple of more weeks too. This is a great test to see if Morgan is capable because he hangs of Thurstos coat tails way too often

Fair enough.

I haven't heard anything about Lachlan Coote just yet, but it appears Kane Linnett has also suffered an injury and is fighting fit to take his place on the field for Saturday's clash against St George Illawarra. If it turns out to be a serious injury, they could have lost Thurston, Coote, Fensom and Linnett in a single week.

While I'm also interested in Morgan's form, my focus is on the Cowboys forward pack to see how they respond. Players like Taumalolo & Hess have been going great guns this season, but with their backs up against the wall, I'll be keen to see how they respond.

If the Cowboys do go 4-0, I can't see them making the finals. These games were pivotal and the worst is right around the corner. Unless their performance against Wests was an indicator, I don't believe the next month will be that dramatic.

I hope you are just as quick to acknowledge Morgans form if / when he steps up. I'd also like to know how many times Thurston has carried a team that is missing as many key positions and experience as this one.
That's not to say he couldn't do it but it's a big ask even for him.

I hope you are just as quick to acknowledge Morgans form if / when he steps up. I'd also like to know how many times Thurston has carried a team that is missing as many key positions and experience as this one.
That's not to say he couldn't do it but it's a big ask even for him.

Thurston has carried a few rubbish cowboys teams
Morgan hasn't of yet

Thurston has carried a few rubbish cowboys teams
Morgan hasn't of yet

Yeah pretty sure I covered that in my post, yet to see a positive post re Morgans game tonight. Lots of Morgans bashers on here and I'm not sure why.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people are making assessments on Morgan's form when the Cowboys have so many players missing. If you take out the first choice fullback, the first choice dummy half and the star halfback, of course the attack is going to suffer. Even JT struggled and he's one of the greatest of all-time. While I'd have to wrack my brain (ie dig through Rugby League Project, great website, check it out) I can't think of any instance where he was able to carry his side to victory minus the type of players the Cowboys were missing.

Hell, I can't remember Lockyer doing it too many times either. The only game that comes to mind is the Round 9 2010 performance against Melbourne in Melbourne...and that's Darren Lockyer. I'm sure there were other games because c'mon, it's Locky, but you get my point. It's no small feat and more often than not players lose in these situations.

Granted, Morgan hasn't made the best start to 2017, but then again the only five-eighth with any considerable form is Widdop and honestly I'd take Morgan 9/10 over Gareth.

Last night may have been one of those instances where I'd take Widdop. The Cowboys were at sixes and sevens all night in large part to the awful service from dummy half and they weren't able to play with the same control they're renown for.

Ignoring how much easier it is to shine with Thurston next to you and a fully fit forward pack of Scott, Tamou, Taumalolo, Cooper and Lowe is as ridiculous, ask Shane Perry!
I would take Widdop 9/10 over Morgan, which isn't to say that Morgan is crap... he's just not that good, and has definitely been riding the coattails of the above mentioned players.

That's cool.

In fact it's amazing how similar Widdop and Morgan are. Both made a name for themselves at fullback, transitioned into the halves at some-point in their careers and were around some very successful players. The difference here is that Morgan helped shaped the Cowboys success, where as Widdop came into a system that had been extremely successful albeit in part due to their systematic rort of the salary cap.

The other difference is that we've seen life without those players and it really hasn't been that rosy for Widdop. He hasn't really grown at all as a player and a lot of his flaws have been laid bare for everybody else to see. Meanwhile, Morgan has been one of the better players since his transition to fullback in 2014 and has outshined Widdop as a player every season bar 2017...and the year is still young.

Never the less, that comparison does not change the fact that it's ridiculous to use what happened on Saturday to slight Morgan. Not when there were so many others missing from the side.

I don't know why people bash Morgan about not being able to carry the Cowboys in Thurston's absence. He's not a playmaker at the Cowboys. He is a running 5/8. He's not an organiser. He's just not that style of player.

Active Now

• LGH
  • Fozz
  • Spooky1013
  • cento
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Bish
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.