Titans Attacking Reshuffle

B

Boofhead

BRL Player
Mar 6, 2008
Titans to unleash awesome foursome
Daniel Meers | April 20th, 2009

THE Gold Coast Titans must unleash their attacking 'awesome foursome' in revamped roles to revive the pointscoring flair which has gone missing in their recent 'ugly' wins.

The high-flying Titans wake this morning on top of the NRL ladder, but have revealed a widespread frustration with their attack which Mat Rogers yesterday described as 'a long way from where it needs to be'.

Titans heavyweights are this week expected to tinker with the backline, and a mouthwatering prospect sits at John Cartwright's fingertips.

Superstar Scott Prince, the game's best halfback, will remain at No.7 while dynamo Preston Campbell is the man ready to become his halves partner by returning to the No.6 jumper.

In-form veteran Rogers, regarded by Cartwright as the best centre at the club, should return to his old position with a roving commission to run the ball.

After six weeks warming the benches, William Zillman is finally ready to unleash his explosive speed from fullback.

Zillman has scored three tries already this season and is poised to be in the run-on side in the coming weeks, with club bosses already branding him a future Kangaroo.

Despite five wins from six matches, the Titans, who are seeking perfection this year, haven't scored more than three tries in their last three games.

It prompted Cartwright to reveal he is considering a reshuffle after Friday night's grinding 16-10 win over the Canberra Raiders.

Rogers, who was tipped as moving to centre by Cartwright, said he would be happy to play in any position.

He declared the team could not rely on winning low scoring arm wrestles each week.

"You can only do that for so long," he said. "We've got a lot more points in our attack and that's the frustrating thing, our attack's just not where it needs to be at the moment.

"I can't put a finger on it. We're just a little bit disjointed, we'd probably all agree to that. We've just got a lot going through our heads, we're all thinking a bit too much and I'm probably as guilty as every player in the side."

Rogers spent most of the second half of the Titans win over Canberra in the centres when Esi Tonga was benched after struggling with injury.

"Ninety per cent of our game is going really well," said Cartwright. "From our goal line up 80 metres we totally dominated, we just struggled when we had the ball in good position to finish them off.

"It's a handy option to have with him (Rogers) in the centres because he probably is our most dangerous centre."

Prince, Rogers, Campbell and Zillman are four of the most attacking names in the competition.

It is now a matter putting the players together to make the perfect combination.

Rogers, who enjoys playing five-eighth, said he would happily play in 'any position' if it will inject flair into the side.

"It doesn't bother me. I'm at the point in my career where all I'm concerned about is winning games, the politics of positions doesn't worry me."

"If Carty thought me playing front row was going to help the side win I'd play there."

Rogers admitted he enjoys playing in the halves and will look at running the ball more.

"I enjoy playing five-eighth, I enjoy the kicking side of things and getting my hands on the ball, I think he just wants me to run the ball more.

"I'll probably have to look at that part of my game."

The Titans disappointment with their attacking game comes on the back of a newfound belief that they can be the real deal.

"There's a lot of belief in the club, we're not running around thinking what we're doing is enough to win the competition, we're far from it," said Rogers.

The Bulletin

Pretty exciting prospect, fans have been calling for it since inception.

1. Zillman
3. Rogers
6. Campbell
7. Prince

With Zillman in the starting side, it frees up a bench spot which will give the Titans more depth.

The Rock said:
Hah. I have been saying that Zillman should be fullback, Rogers to centre and Preston to 5/8 throughout the whole off season

Thanks Gus "Nostradamus after the fact" Gould! :P

I think 99% of Rugby League fans would've been thinking along the same lines.

The other 1% clearly have NFI, which is why they support Souths.

The Rock said:
Coxyz said:
[quote="The Rock":3lg4dyyw]Hah. I have been saying that Zillman should be fullback, Rogers to centre and Preston to 5/8 throughout the whole off season

Thanks Gus "Nostradamus after the fact" Gould! :P

Pffft whatever, Ari can back me up! :P[/quote:3lg4dyyw]

It's true, he's been saying it all season. Zillman at fullback is a great move, though I personally feel that Rogers is pretty ordinary these days and don't consider him at centre to be something to be feared.

Compared to Delaney he's an excitement machine...

Compared to Luke O'Dwyer he is a much larger and more sophisticated excitement machine...

They are both back rowers IMO. Get them out of the centers!

Compared to me, he's not exciting at all.

Compared to Ning, O'Dwyer and Delaney are Disco Ninja's!

Yeah I can't understand why Delany's an automatic selection for the Titans each week. I have never seen him do anything really.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Splinter
  • Foordy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.